The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Number of sounds on stand? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Number of sounds on stand?
JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 08:05 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
I suspect that the number of sounds used isn't an east/west thing as much as it is how long people have been doing it and the tools that were available when they started and then refined their technique. That painted with a very broad brush, there are exceptions to everything.
I'm also assumimg that a lot of the multiple sound users are generating them with an electronic call that lets you jump between something like 8 to 100 sounds. Nothing wrong with having that ability, it just hasn't been around very long. I personally can't justify the money that it takes to gain that ability.

Most of the area that I hunt does not allow the sighting of a coyote that is too far away to shoot so I've never messed around with trying to "un-stick" a coyote. I can actually only think of a very few occasions off-hand where I could see coyotes that I could not shoot. That only since I've started hunting IL. (more open), late in the winter, and always three or more coyotes in a group. I eventually moved on after I got tired of setting and had exhausted the few calls I had with me.
That is not at all the "usual" stand.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 08:08 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
While on the subject of pup howls and pup distress, my pup has been howling, and it matches exactly what I call the lost pup howl. This time of year on damage deals, the pups are out and loose, and while you can still call and kill the old ones pretty good, the pups generally scatter. But if you wait around for an hour or so, you will hear them start howling and gathering back together. It is a unique howl. I have been recording it from this pup alot. Most of you that have a FoxPro have the pup distress #2, which also came from a pup here a couple years ago. But it is a poor choice for calling and rarely works. [Wink]

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 10:53 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Those pups really know how to hide and if you ever corner one in the top of a wash they can be quite intimidating.

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 05, 2006 11:08 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Some seem to be misunderstanding the subjects.
Stand length.
I stay on stand as long as I feel it has potential to produce relative to the time I have and the numbers I need. If I have a camera and no appointments, I will spend as much as an hour, even more to get what I want. If we are shooting in a contest we rarely spend more than 15 - 20 minutes on a high confidence stand, less time with less confidence. The last stand of the day may be extremely long if we don't have time to drive to another location before dark. We will burn every bit of shooting light on that last stand.
Calling to unseen coyotes.
In many areas there are "pockets" of habitat that I am certain contain coyotes while the surrounding areas do not. Cotton fields are a prime example. We are in the 13th year of a drought in Az. The desert that held coyotes years ago do not now. Cottonfields in July and August are three feet high and irrigated. This attracts lots of rodents and birds. The temperature inside the cotton is 20 degrees cooler than the ambient temperature outside. Good cover, cool, birds and rodents, water. Coyote tracks and scat everywhere on the dirt tracks surrounding the cotton. No tracks or scat in the hot dry, barren desert surrounding the cotton. There is no doubt in my mind that there are coyotes in that 40 acre parcel and in the one next to it. I can't see them but I know they are there. Same applies to milo fields and the thick mesquite washes that surround alfalfa fields and just about any ag enterprise down here including dairies and feedlots. If I call, coyotes will hear me. Plain and simple. I just have to decide if I'm willing to invest the time and effort neccessary to drag them up by the ears. Most other callers know this as well and these areas are hammered hard.
Pockets of State Trust land, virgin desert surrounded by residential areas. Night time will find coyotes on the streets and in the yards. Daytime won't. They will be in the thick mesquite and creosote in the "pockets'. Some of these pockets are 4 square miles in area, but I know that the coyotes can hear me. Even though their ranges are surprisingly large, I know they will be in those core areas during the day. Plain and simple.

IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters