The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Slydog's adventure's (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: Slydog's adventure's
6mm284
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 05:15 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rich, are you sure that is a decoy next to slydog, looks like a coyote just sneaked up on him when he was busy getting his picture taken.
Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 06:01 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
6mm284,
It looks like the legs are too short, body & neck too long and head too small to be a full blooded canis latrans. Some kind of strange cross breed, but coyotes seem to like it. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 09:48 AM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to say something about the use of a stuffed/mounted coyote,decoy.I quit doing taxidermy work about ten years ago.I want to tell you why the decoy doesn't always work for you.All taxidermist use a tanning solution and this leaves a long lasting smell on the hide.Taxidermist also use a paste or spray on the hide or manikin so the hide will stick to the manikin.The point is;there is a lot of foreign smell on a mounted coyote.If you place a mounted coyote to your far left or right,you stand twice the chance of being busted.I honestly believe,this is why,Leonard and others had bad experiences,using a decoy.If i was to use a decoy,it would be placed out in front or directly below me.If there going to smell the decoy,there going to smell me too.I do believe a decoy will work'if'used/placed in the right location.
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2007 03:34 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No, can't agree with that, Melvin. At least in my application. Personal opinion, of course, but my decoy positively reeked of coyote urine, and of course, I put it in front of me. None of the coyotes that spotted it and shied away, never bothered to go downwind, in the first place. I can't imagine why I would place it anywhere else?

In my opinion, a decoy is hardly ever needed with coyotes, and excepting denning season, a rabbit type of decoy is a lot more effective than a coyote decoy because a coyote is not afraid of a rabbit. But, it is beyond dispute (as far as I'm concerned) that a coyote decoy will spook some coyotes, and cause others to hang up a lot further out than desired. What it translates to (for me) is that it causes more harm than good, besides being a pain in the ass to lug around.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 06:38 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Those California coyotes are afraid of other coyotes? I wonder how they manage to breed out there.

Now THAT's funny rat there. [Smile]

--------------------

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 07:50 AM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,i think,i might have worded that wrong up there.I wasn't trying to say you placed the decoy to your right or left.I was trying to point out that i didn't think it would be a good idea.You would be increasing the size of the scent cone.I don't believe you can cover the odor of a taxidermy decoy,trapping has learned me what foreign odors can do.We can cover it up for our nose,but not a coyotes.

I can see where a coyote decoy would work during denning and breeding season.I can also see where it could screw you up with younger coyotes.In the type of country i call,it would be of no value for me.If i was hunting open country,at the right time of year,i think i would give it a try.

Rich C,let us know how it works out for you.

[ March 14, 2007, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 08:37 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,
I have the mounted coyote ready to go, and will keep you guys posted as to how she works out in the field.

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 10:06 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rich! I was just glancing at my John Henry bobble-head doll, and it came to me in a flash... WHAP!

Two words: "animation"

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
slydog
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 10:09 AM      Profile for slydog   Author's Homepage   Email slydog         Edit/Delete Post 
Time of year, application, location, hunting presure, stand selection and the plethera of other factors lead to weather your successful or draw a blank. The country I do 80% of my hunting in is wide open with sage brush flats and roling hills. I try to always set up with hight advantage so I can see for good distances (200-1000 yards) in most cases, I try to put a mover (rabbit type) decoy in plain sight, I put the "Deek" a few yards away and not right out in the open (not hidden either). The coyotes see the mover and approach to then see the "Deek". It has spooked a few, "PUPS" but thats about it.

This time of year I put "Deek" out front, in plain sight and sometimes I'll use a mover,also. I find that the decoy coyote puts the incoming yotes kinda at ease,"Like,OK there is no man there type thing", many come charging in but most kinda mill around approaching slowly but unafraid.
Also the posture of my "Deek" is not threatening and therefore don't threaten the approaching coyotes. I hunt strictly hunt daylights unless its a depradation call. I understand that hunting nights would change things a little.

I have used "DEEK" in several states and in different terrain and the success rate will varry but not enough to make me leave "Deek" at home..

Sly

--------------------
Smote the Yote with a slydog custom call

Posts: 179 | From: SW Idaho | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 10:54 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of Geek's, er I mean DEEK's----
 -

--------------------

slydog
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 11:03 AM      Profile for slydog   Author's Homepage   Email slydog         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the intro Rich,......LOL

This is yesterdays haul: far right 21lb boar Badger, middle is a 38lb boar Badger and the little one next to me is 16lbs female, not bad for 3 hours work.

I think I'm gonna build a lifesize Badger Decoy and call him "Dozer" [Wink]

BTW, the big one will make a great rug, anyone interested?
sly

[ March 14, 2007, 11:05 AM: Message edited by: slydog ]

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 12:45 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like old Sly's decoy is still doing it's duty.
 -

--------------------

slydog
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 02:48 PM      Profile for slydog   Author's Homepage   Email slydog         Edit/Delete Post 
Naw Rich,

I just tote that coyote decoy around for pic's

This pic was in mid feb when it was still cold

sly

Thanks again Rich, I'm gonna have to put you on the payrole.........LOL

--------------------

tlbradford
Rimfires are MAGIC on COYOTES! If you do your part
Member # 1232

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 03:26 PM      Profile for tlbradford   Email tlbradford         Edit/Delete Post 
Now that is real talent when you can decoy in a couple of badgers. [Wink]

--------------------
"Dan Carey ain't that special" - LB

Posts: 423 | From: Spokane Valley, WA | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 04:25 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
By the time you haul all of those decoys out on a stand, call and shoot a coyote, the haul everything back to the truck. I'll have made 2-3 stands.

I guess my point of diminishing returns, is just set a lot lower than yours.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 04:45 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim Behle,
You ain't been borrowing John-Henry's pink camper again have ya?
Hoo Boy, I hope J.H. reads that question. LOL [Smile]

--------------------

slydog
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2007 04:59 PM      Profile for slydog   Author's Homepage   Email slydog         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim: "By the time you haul all of those decoys out on a stand, call and shoot a coyote, the haul everything back to the truck. I'll have made 2-3 stands."

You are right, whare you are you proly can. Here that ain't the case and I guess that is the difference between your hunting and mine.
Just like the defending world champs who came to Idaho and hunted their ass off and got skunked, Goose egged the Idaho state championship less than a month after winning the world. What worked to win the world did not work in Idaho. Different day, time, weather conditions and country change the way you hunt everywhare you go. Only west Texas, southern New Mexico, Arizona and southern Cali. I should also includ Nevada as one of the quick responce states. Although I have hunted in those states when nothing works it is much the oposit and most of the time when I go south I can kill almost as many coyotes in 3 weeks as I kill all year here in Idaho. If you time it right and you are hunting ground that no one has pounded a good caller could kill 8-10 coyotes here in Idaho but it ain't the norm. A good average day in Idaho is 3 coyotes but there are many days that you will have ass cramps from sitting on the cold ground and wind chaped skin from the cold wind with no fur to show for your trouble. There are many hunters who have come and hunted here and spent many days trying to get a responce. Some have had good days and some say coyote hunting in Idaho sucks..

To each his or her own.

sly

Travis, truth is one came to the call but the other was a drive by........LOL

[ March 14, 2007, 05:01 PM: Message edited by: slydog ]

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2007 04:35 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
more badgering
 -

--------------------

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2007 04:43 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Whats with all the decals on the truck?

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2007 04:59 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
coyote whacker,
I was wondering the same thing. I also noticed the coyote track on his left shirt sleeve. Must have experienced a mis-fire and the coyote ran right over him?

--------------------

Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2007 08:26 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend of mine just got back from Idaho. He said he never saw coyotes that were that easy to call. Of course he didn't expose himself placing a decoy where coyotes could see it either. FWIW!

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2007 09:01 AM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
Are those all his sponsors on that truck?

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2007 09:29 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich: "I was wondering the same thing. I also noticed the coyote track on his left shirt sleeve. Must have experienced a mis-fire and the coyote ran right over him?"

Hahaha! Thaz funny rat thar!

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2007 01:59 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Are those all his sponsors on that truck?"
------------------------
Dan,
The badgers hanging on his truck are the ones who REFUSED to sponsor him. I think he hynotized em with those psychodelic glasses you see above bill of his cap.

--------------------

slydog
Member # 389

Icon 1 posted March 17, 2007 02:46 PM      Profile for slydog   Author's Homepage   Email slydog         Edit/Delete Post 
This pic was yesterdays haul. shot the first one while I was talking to Ronnie within 10 min of getting to the pasture. Ronnie and I were still talkin when I spotted the seccond but Ronnie had to get off the phone when Momma got home and I killed the seccond badger 15 min after we got off the phone. In all I shot 6 badger in 3 1/2 hours. Two of them were big boars and weighed in at 26# and the other was just over 30# not bad for a dumbass without any expiriance.......LOL [Wink]

FYI 3 of the 6 were shot with a 5mm rimfire magnum @ under 100 yards, one was shot with my 20 Tac @ 238 lazered yards and the other two were shot side by side @ 194 lazered yards. All head and neck shots.................I sure am lucky [Wink]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
DanS: "Are those all his sponsors on that truck?"

Yes sir, they are sponsors. [Big Grin]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Scott: "A friend of mine just got back from Idaho. He said he never saw coyotes that were that easy to call."

Time of year, location, weather, calling ability, hunting presure, coyote dencity and a thousand other varibles contribute to success and lets not forget LUCK.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Rich: "Must have experienced a mis-fire and the coyote ran right over him?"

Rich I do suffer from a FUBAR once an a while. Hell thats the closest I got all year...................LOL [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Rich: "I think he hynotized em with those psychodelic glasses you see above bill of his cap."

Now that is some funny sh** rat thar...LOL....ROFLMAO [Big Grin]
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I just thought ya'll would like to see what good badger huntin looks like... I have noticed that the squirrel population is down and that generaly means that the Badger population will follow so I'm enjoying the feast.....LOL....cause the famin is commin.....LOL

sly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters