The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Taking of multiple coyotes? (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Taking of multiple coyotes?
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 08:23 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Leonard said you are just mistakeing to where the bullet hit. You said the coyote ran off, so how do you know you hit him in the lungs?
Where i hunt if we get a wounded coyote we go after it and get it most of the time. And then we find out where the shooter actualy hit the coyote on the first shot. 99% is due to a badd hit..

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5065 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 08:58 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Look 2dogs, I can ignore some of the stuff you come up with and I do not hold a grudge. I don't need to boot you. If you cannot accept criticism, just go somewhere else. But, you are welcome to stay....just quit trying to pound sand up our ass.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JD
HONORARY OKIE .... and Tim's at fault!
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 10:41 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
At 50ft you likely shot under him, maybe grazed him. If he ran 1/2 mile just to get to the next section & then after that he disappeared, that`s what,a mile or more.....how far can a coyote go at a dead run with no oxygen?

--------------------
Jason
--------------------------------------

What do Obama & TA17Rem have in common........both are clueless asshats!!!

Posts: 1456 | From: NE. | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 10:43 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

If you have "Lung shot" coyotes running off, either you have serious bullet failure, you are using FMJ bullets, or you just thought you hit the lungs, but missed them.

The only faster way to drop a coyote, is to hit the brain or the spine forward of the front legs.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Knows what it's all about
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 05:38 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Coyote was hit broadside in the chest. Coyote's legs dropped out from under him/her like he was struck by lightening over the ridge top.

No, Leonard I don't pound sand. Just because someone has never experienced something doesn't make it not true.

Some other coyote's, I've shot broadside in the chest with other centerfires have ran. Some ran far[not recovered]. I'm betting their are folks on here. Who have done/seen the same. They just haven't/won't say..."now".

Any experienced coyote killer, know's coyotes can sometimes, take a beating. No big surprise, really.

Ever seen a solid Yellow coyote? I have, I've seen one. I suppose that's BS, as well [Roll Eyes]

What about coydogs...Are they, BS too. Yah, if you haven't "ever" seen one.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 05:59 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
2 dogs,

Let's review what you said,

2 dogs: "Lung or gut shot. I've done my share. Lunger's run mighty far, compared to gut shot."

That's just bullsh*t!

If you gut shoot a coyote with a FMJ and you pursue that coyote, he can run for 4 to 6 hours. Running only far enough to get ahead of you then laying up again.

In contrast, I have shot 55gr. FMJ in the 70's to try to reduce fur damage on red fox. I shot 55 gr. Nosler boatail "spitzers" later and can't remember a coyote running anywhere that was lung shot. I switched over to 55gr. Nosler ballistic tips for better accuracy and prevent the bullet tips from deforming during chambering. These bullets when punched between the rib going in, would allow coyotes to run up to 110 yards but that is the furthest I can ever remember. It was frustrating as hell because I had to rely on coyote body language and audible bullet report to know where they were hit. I was told by Nosler that their early ballistic tips had a heavier jacket. I called the company to complain about bullet performance in comparison to the old "spitzers". Nosler said that their new 55 gr. ballistic tips had a lighter jacket. Now I shoot 52 gr. Hornady A-max and the coyotes are dropping in their tracks again.

My dad shot a doe deer back in the 70s through both front lung lobe tips that was still alive the following day. That deer was necropsied. All I can tell you is that I have always been critical of my dad for not keeping his broadheads as sharp as they should be so I don't know if this particular arrow was razor sharp or not. Nobody could believe it until they saw it.

Lungers do not run mighty far COMPARED TO GUTSHOT. Gutshots normally run much further.

The farthest I have ever saw a coyote run when punched with a 55 gr. Nosler heavy jacket ballistic tip between the ribs going in and through the lungs was about 110 yards. In contrast, you can push a gutshot coyote for 4 to 6 hours.

Who do you think you're kidding?

Don't worry, If I had ever seen them go further, I wouldn't hesitate to speak up.

~SH~

[ April 08, 2007, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 06:08 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Wiley,

What I stated, is not confusing. They do/can run far. Never said, they run "farthest" than a gut-shot coyote, as in "total distance".

The coyotes I've gut shot, have run in short distance's, stopping freguently. Lungers, run until they crumple or find safety.

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 06:15 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Like JD, mentioned. Har far do you suppose a coyote can run, W/O breathing? As in taking another breath.

A coyote can do around 40mph or better. That's a lot of ground covered, before having to take another breath.

Now that same lung shot coyote with it's fight/flight syndrone[Adrenaline] kicked on high. It's no stretch.

[ April 08, 2007, 06:16 AM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 06:37 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
2 dogs: "Never said, they run "farthest" than a gut-shot coyote, as in "total distance".

2dogs (previous): "Lunger's run mighty far, compared to gut shot"

ah...ok?

Here 2dogs, grab this shovel.

You should quit while you're behind. LOL!

~SH~

[ April 08, 2007, 08:15 PM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 06:46 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen coyotes run of after being hit in the lung area, it was with a .17 Remington years ago. My cousin bought one and all we had were Remington factory hollow points, he loaded them as fast as he could. The first half a dozen or so we never found then he hit one and it ran towards him allowing a couple more shots and it died. We skinned it just to see what was happening and the first bullet blew up on the rib cage. That's the only circumstance I can recall that a lung shot coyote ran off.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 07:05 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had multiple multiples come to the call. I almost always take the easiest shot first what ever that may be, then I go for what ever I think I can get.
It's very hard when all the ( 3-4 or 5 ) coyotes come in at once to get every one of them.
On the other hand if they come in one or two at a time you can have a pile of dead coyotes after the smoke clears.
Have you guys changed the subject to multiple lung shot coyotes [Confused] [Wink] That subject don't interest me at all.

Just my old senile opinion. [Smile]

[ April 08, 2007, 10:08 AM: Message edited by: onecoyote ]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 07:49 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
The only lungs shots that I have seen run half mile or slightly more I have shotgunned with number four buck shot with maybe a few or less thru the lung and intestines. Initailly the adrenaline compensates ,but as it subsides and the lungs fill with blood the coyotes just slows and slows until he is out of gas and expires. As far as rifle lung shots they often bite at the wound while cirling but they don't go very far, usually just a matter of yds.It depends on how much initial damage is done.
2dogs as far as you having been at this longer than Rich C., DREAM ON YOU KNOW NOT WHO YOU SPEAK OF.About the time I start to believe your stories, You make observations contrary to others experience and I cannot figure out if you are for real or an imposter. Maybe some of both ,makes no difference to me or you.You seem to want the rest of us to beleive you know something we don't in being contrary.
You saying you" don't play well with others" seems to be quite accurate."thanks

[ April 08, 2007, 08:20 AM: Message edited by: 6mm284 ]

Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 10:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's easy to say lung shot, when the animal is not recovered. In the case of Wiley's example, my bet is that the deer didn't run or walk anywhere, it just holed up, like they say smoke a cigarette, or whatever and then go look for him. But, regardless of the bullet use, a FMJ zipping through the ribs, he will still be sucking air through the holes and he is going to die while attempting his escape, and it will happen long before he gets a half mile away.

A heart shot can run maybe fifty yards with no sign of a hit before dropping dead. Lung shots, with proper cartridges and nominal foot pounds of energy will not normally run off, and when they do, they don't get much further than a heart shot.

I guess I have seen a few make it to 110 yards, and one in particular was very close, when shot broadside and the bullet didn't open up, exited small and although he bit at the entrance, he ran off with great power. I didn't know it, but he dropped dead, just out of sight. I was so surprised, I didn't even think to chamber another round.

But, 110 yards (rare occurance) is not lending credence to claims of a coyote running 880 yards. (½mile, 8X further) This is not where we can allow somebody to say shit like; just because you never seen it, doesn't mean that it's not possible. I'm willing to go out on a limb and say it's not possible...prove me wrong.

As Doubting Thomas said: until I put my finger in the wound, I shall not believe in miracles.

Good hunting. LB

[ April 08, 2007, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 01:05 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
2dogs, seriously man, take Scotts advice & "quit while you`re behind" Nobody...nobody!!!! believes a word of what you`re saying, it`s not true no matter how much you try to make it sound true.

The way you go about telling lies & then doing your best to back pedal out of them is entertaining at times but I think it`s starting to grow old.

One time I saw a coyote perform CPR on his/her buddy who had been lung shot, it worked too, I never did find that coyote & I know it was a GOOD lung shot & don`t try to tell me it aint true because I was there & that`s what I figured took place, just because "you`ve" never seen it doesn`t mean that it cant/doesnt happen.

See what I mean...entertaining yet old.

--------------------
Jason

Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 08, 2007 08:22 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree Leonard and the only reason I know the one was 110 yards was because I was so stunned at what I just saw that I had to step it off. Like I said, that was a heavy jacket early model 55 gr. Nosler ballistic tip between the ribs on the way in and through the lungs. This coyote literally painted the grass red and was basically running dead.

As you say, 110 yards is a far cry from a half mile.

Before I owned a high powered rifle, we shot coyotes with a .22 rimfire. We snuck up on them in their sleep and shot them. If they were shot in the lungs, they were dead. That's all there was to it.

We also used to shoot all of our trapped coyotes in the lungs with a .22 rimfire. You could set your watch by the amount of time it took them to bleed out. Never had to shoot them twice.

~SH~

[ April 08, 2007, 08:24 PM: Message edited by: Wiley E ]

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 06:23 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
OK guys, Back to the 52 grain A-Max bullet.I know a few of you guys have been using them,I just bought a box and plan to use them on coyotes for my .22-250.How do they compare to the 55 grain gamekings(#1365)? Heavy jacket?Does the bullet have more controlled expansion etc. than the V-max type bullets?How do you like them for terminal energy on coyotes?Surface splashes?I know that Hornady says that they are ultra low drag and very accurate.But what say you guys?

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 06:43 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have had a little problem seating them, in that they deform because the (my) seating stem is too small and it leaves a detent ring on the copper of the ogive below the plastic. But, this depends on your case neck thickness, also. Does it have any effect, other than appearance? I doubt it?

For my money, the 55 Nosler Ballistic Tip is a better bullet for coyotes.

And anyway, I thought you were a confirmed 204 user?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 07:04 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been useing the 52 gr. A-Max in my 22-250 ackley. The jacket is a little heavier than a reguler Ballistic tip so i don't get the splatter wounds with it. The A-max has a good B.C. for the longer ranges and tracks a straight path to a long range target, better groups. I also use a Sierra 52 gr. Hp. match in a 22-250 for close to med. range, the bullet dosent group very well at longer ranges. I have tried alot of bullets that are out there and i'm happy with the A-max, good vel, good accuracy and it dose a good job on the coyotes with out makeing a big mess.
Leonard told me about a 65 gr. that i might try and see how it compares to the A-max, if my gun can shoot it..
I believe Cal has been useing the A-max and he could chime in as well...

--------------------

JD
Member # 768

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 08:44 PM      Profile for JD           Edit/Delete Post 
When I used my 22-250 for coyotes I always used the 55gr noslers, I would have to check but it seems like they were loaded a touch slower to get a good group in my gun, I think in the 3600 range but they did perform well on coyotes. FWIW

Of course everyone knows that 25gr is more than enough bullet. [Smile]

--------------------
Jason

Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 09:10 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
The 52 grain A max is what we shoot in our state 22-250 rifles, factory ammo,HSM brand,the quatering toward shot with bullet placement on the exposed shoulder has resulted in a wound about an inch deep and tennis ball wide time after time.Any contact with that shoulder blade and all penetration stops. Its cost me a few coyotes.Broadside just behind the shoulder, beautiful!Straight on center mass lethal!Just that shoulder hit problem, knocks em flat but they stagger up and stumble off or would have!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 09:12 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard:And anyway, I thought you were a confirmed 204 user?

LOL! I do really love my .204 but like you say it's the Golf Bag deal. [Wink]

If I am calling for Fur I will definitely reach for the .20 cal with 35 grain bergers.

But I still like to shoot my .22-250.I was planning on going down to Williams for the World hunt last year(even talked to Rich H. on the phone about it) but ended up not going,but I might try to make it down this year,if I do I would probably take the .22-250 and I want a bullet that will perform out to 400 yards if needed(I do use and like the 55 sierra gameking)just heard alot of good things about the A-max both with speed and knockdown.I guess I still don't have the total confidence in the 35 bergers for terminal knockdown at those EXTENDED ranges.

Good Hunting Chad

[ April 11, 2007, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 10, 2007 11:35 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a bullet out there that won't do that when hit in the shoulder????

--------------------

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 05:06 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
TA, a 60 grain Nosler Partition does a pretty good job on the shoulder blade but the ball joint would be a different deal I bet. This is out of .223 speeds, I never found a 22-250 that would group those well enough to use.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 05:09 AM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes TA17 nosler partitions and hunting bullets designed for big game.

Varmint type bullets are thin walled no getting around that and getting close to 4,000fps and have a bullet hit a solid object will ask alot from a bullet for sure. The A max is a great bullet though. I think one would see more with the v-max as that is thinner jacketed yet.

25 caliber 100-115 gr bullets don't leave that splash but again your back into a big game type bullet and slower speeds as well.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 11, 2007 08:09 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
The regular old 55 grain soft point regardless of what flavor penetrated much better on this type of hit.Hell I've shot a bunch with 223, a pile, and never the problem like with this 250 bullet!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters