The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Camoflauge (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Camoflauge
albert
Knows what it's all about
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 03:36 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I do 75% of my calling in the snow. I don't feel that I get busted anymore when calling in the snow compared to no snow.

I do not like to call with my face to the sun. I also wear a face mask. I had quite wearing a face mask for a couple of years. I now wear one all the time.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 04:14 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Albert, I base that on pure white conditions, in total snow camo, a time when you would think to be a close to invisible as it can get. My movements on a pure white background seem more detectable, confusing to the coyote but they pick me up. On broken snow cover I do not notice it,or when some type of anything out there other than pure white, just total whiteout stuff and they, coyotes and reds ,see me moving more readily and from greater distances.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted June 23, 2007 04:15 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I wear camo simpley because it doesn't hurt & seems 'official'. It's the "If you look sharp, you'll feel sharp, and if you feel sharp you'll act sharp, and if you act sharp ect. ect.

Be that as it may, at one time I was known to wear really loud flowery Hawaian shirts while hunting. It never seemed to make any difference. It did, however, drive my hunting partners nuts!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 06:37 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Randy you could be right. The "pure" white stuff usually only last a couple of days after a snow fall. I have noticed my partner looking "grey" under these conditions.

I usually look for something that isn't pure white. Few tuffs of grass, a hill with a couple of rocks poking out is a great place to call from.

I'm convinced that laying prone is a big help in these conditions. I have turned 90 degrees while the coyote can see me and have it/them continue on in. When you are laying prone I feel that when a coyote sees you it doesn't feel threatened, It has been able to kill or runaway from anthing that size all it's life, so it continues to approach.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 06:47 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Albert, I agree 100 percent that laying prone allows a caller a greater range of motion without spooking the coyote.

I think the coyote expects to see something and some type of movement when he comes in. The prone position puts the movement if you have to make it from a more natural position.

Not to mention the prone position is a great shooting position, little tough to do here now with grass as tall as the pickup hood in some pastures. heck sitting on a flat you have to raise up on your knees to shoot off the sticks. Geez I miss the drought!!!LOL The rough country is still good but the CRP etc. is really tall and growing.

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

stevecriner
UNKNOWN-before he was famous?
Member # 892

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 07:41 AM      Profile for stevecriner   Email stevecriner         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Do you believe it is better to be still or concealed?
Still and concealed. Though Ive called coyotes acrossed highways while i was sitting on top of a 10/12 pitch roof anything is possible. Ive wore camo and just blue jeans. But keeo in mind i am a fond believer in realtree camo now,,,,its the BEST!! [Wink]

2. Which do you believe to be most important, color, pattern or form? I do believe on choosing camo for the right terrain, but shadows are shadows, somtime you just cant find em". Did i mention i like Realtreee.

3 Did Gerry Blair really call javelina and coyotes while wearing a Santa suit? I wouldnt dought it. The man is someone to look up to for sure so if he didnt i still think he did!

steve

--------------------
"I love coyotes and put up with dogs....My neighbor has a slew of them."

Posts: 321 | From: missouri | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Beastmaster
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 07:14 PM      Profile for Beastmaster   Email Beastmaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell yes Gerry Blair called several coyote and a sounder of javelina while wearing a santa suit. I was there. The pigs came within ten feet and did so several times. All on film. Have to admit, however, coyote and javalena were non-target. It was close to Xmas and I was wearing a santa suit and was within the deseert west of Wickenburg. I was calling reindeer. Gerry Blair
Posts: 32 | From: Lake Havasu City, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 08:26 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I think what AZ-Hunter posted was very interesting. I think as humans we underestimate our own visual capabilities and overestimate most animal's ability.
I feel I can get away with lots of movement with my hands as long as it stays within the mass of my body and my hands are gloved. As soon as a hands strays and a opening is formed and a difference in light occurs they will pick it up and fast.

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 08:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
How you been, Gerry? Good to hear from you. Hell, I never doubted the story for a minute!

Maybe I'll see you at Rahaugees?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 24, 2007 10:26 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't doubt it for a second either. I've seen Gerry lay that good mojo on the visually challenged coyotes and they didn't know if he was a mailbox or a fence post. [Smile]
Beastmaster
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 11:04 AM      Profile for Beastmaster   Email Beastmaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Gulp! Thanks Rich, Leonard and all else. Are commercials allowed? The pig thing was taped and shows the small uglies (javelina) come close and do so several times. I eas sitting in the sun, in the open and was obviously obvious. The footage became a part of my Master's Secrets to Predator Calling. I will have some of such when I shake and howdy at Norco next month. Thanks for noticing me. Gerry
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 11:21 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Gerry. All hunting related promotions are welcome, absolutely free for all members. Post a link if you want. Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 12:53 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Gerry, must say nice to meet you if even just on the internet, I have truly enjoyed many of the articles you have wrote, yes they even get read out in the Iowa farmground to the prairies of SD.

Thanks for sharing many of your experiences with the rest of us.

--------------------

Beastmaster
Member # 210

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2007 01:03 PM      Profile for Beastmaster   Email Beastmaster         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Leonard,

All here likely know the revised edition of my Predator Calling with Gerry Blair will be available during mid-September. Contents have been reviewed and updated Chapters from our own Rich Higgens (Coyote Communication), Jay Nistetter (Call Collecting), Fred Cronk (Start your own call company), Major Boddicker (Using open reed calls) will be included. MyOwnSelf has authored seven or so new chapters. Finally, all of the B&W photos within (more than two hundred) will be replaced by color. Yummy?
You might like to know also that Predator Xtreme magazine will be running my article on digital calls, such crafted with able assistance from Gary Clevenger and Don Jamroz within the September/October issue.
Finally, YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST: K&W Publications (nee Krause) is considering my proposal to publish a book tenatively titled The Best of Gerry Blair . . . a bio that tells more than you ever wanted to know about MyOwnSelf and containing the best of the articles I have written on predator calling, trapping,big game hunting, rockhounding, jewelry making, turkey hunting and about everything excepting Sex after Sixty (insufficient data base). IBCNU, Gerry Blair

csmithers
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 26, 2007 12:22 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I know that I will be at my nearest book seller in mid-September. The 'old' book has taken some abuse.
Barndog
Member # 255

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 08:32 AM      Profile for Barndog   Author's Homepage   Email Barndog         Edit/Delete Post 
I've watched camo get more and more detailed. I recently went out with a guy who wore that really detailed sage camo and he stuck out like a sore thumb. Too much, way to much.

Has anyone played around with the idea of light weight plastic mirrors. Total concealment by reproducing the surrounding enviroment. The sun would be the biggest factor next to weight of the set up. It would not be good for coyotes but for an elk, turkey, or a antelope blind might be worth looking into or at least playing around with.

Posts: 185 | From: Idaho | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 08:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep that grape juice out of the sun!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted June 29, 2007 09:28 AM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen ground blinds for sale that do the exact thing you are talking about. I never seen them in person but they looked good in the pics. I would also be concerned with the sunlight.
Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters