The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » ask the panel of experts (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14 

Author Topic: ask the panel of experts
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 10:13 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
You guys ain't got nuthin on us, our wildlife dept transplanted mountain lions to thin the deer herd. The insurance companies paid em to do it! I know cause I've got an insurance agent and he said there was too many vehicle/deer accidents and he was going broke.

Now my question, do mountain lions eat coyotes cause I'm having problems calling them in? I'm pretty sure they do but I'm just checking to see if ya'lls mountain lions do...

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 10:14 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh and we got so many mountain lions they had to open the season on them, just the brown ones the black ones are still under control.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 10:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin Clem saw a flock of turkeys eating on a coyote carcass. He said he saw them take one down, before. Thin out those turkeys and give the coyotes a chance to bread back.

Good hunting. LB

This stuff is Okie GOLD, too!

edit: I assked himif they were turkey vultures, but he said he nose the difference!

[ February 09, 2010, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Inoculation
Member # 2229

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 10:18 AM      Profile for Inoculation   Email Inoculation         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, I'm sure glad you fellas are here to answer these fine questions.

I have been pondering this situation for a while now. I have a new Beretta Bobcat (I got this gun because I really want to shoot a bobcat with it!). It's a small little 22LR pistol. So small I can put it in my pockets of my tactical camo pants. I really like it because I can climb up my 10 foot ladder and not have to worry about it. Oh yeah, my ladder is aluminum. I wish I would have read this thread before I got it.

My question is about the 22LR and a 2 inch barrel. Do you guys think I could shoot a "kitty" at 100 yards and drop it "DRT"? I am an excellent shot! I shoot soda cans all the time at 200. Should I be aiming for any spot in particular?

And maybe one of you guys could take me out to a good cat spot. Hell, I would even let you shoot my bobcat. I only want an experienced bobcat hunter though. Don't waste my time if you don't know what you are doing. I AM DEPENDING ON YOU GUYS!

Oh I almost forgot. What sounds make the cats go crazy? I am buying a new JS512 (on Leonard's advice), but I need to know what tapes or 8 tracks to get. What do you guys think?

--------------------
Don't be ridiculous

Posts: 56 | From: CA | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 10:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Those mountains behind Calimesa is full of bubcats. Just don't let them put the sneak on ya. Yeu will have your hands full of cat!

Good hunting. LB

edit: the main problem with aluminumm is lightning strikes. Spoils yer aim.

[ February 09, 2010, 10:24 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 11:21 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
HOPEFULLY SOMEONE CAN HELP ME OUT.

I'M HAVING A PROBLEM WITH MY FX5 REMOTE. SEEMS IT ONLY WORKS TO ABOUT 5FT AND I'M QUIET SURE IT'S NOT THE BATTERY(S). A VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE PERSON ON ANOTHER BOARD(OVER 3400 POSTS) RECOMMENDED THAT I HUNG THE CALLER UP IN A BUSH. THE PROBLEM IS THERE'S NO BUSHES WHERE I HUNT AND I THINK I'M GOING TO HAVE PROBLEMS GETTING FUR IF I CAN'T FIND THE BUSH.

SO HERE'S MY QUESTION(S).... DO ANY OF YOU HAVE EXPERIENCE WITH SKY HOOKS AND HOW WOULD A PERSON GO ABOUT FINDING ONE?

THANKS IN ADVANCE

EDIT; HOPEFULLY I'LL BE ABLE TO SHOW HOW IT WORKS IN MY UP COMING VIDAO

SIGNED
WANNABEE SKY HOOK COMPANY FIELD STAFFER. [Confused]

[ February 09, 2010, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 11:21 AM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
Which instructional video do you guys recommend and why?
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 11:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Green, fx5 is junk, get a loudmouth. They come with a skyhook adapter.

Brad, one word: SHAMWOW

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Dave Allen
Hi, I'm SUPER DAVE, IN CHARGE OF Q STUFF (and Goat Leader) "I'm really not trying to be a dick".
Member # 3102

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 11:56 AM      Profile for Dave Allen           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,I think I'm gonna' buy the wife an A/R any suggestions for a scope ?

I hunt wooded farmland mostly,I want enough scope in case I need to reach out and touch 'em,shots may be out to 400-500 yards (thats about how wide the fields are here)

Funds will be limited after I get her the A/R I'm thinking $100 bucks should be plenty.

(ps great site guys !)
-------------------------------------------------
2009/2010 totals
Yotes called-0
Yotes killed-0
Feral cat-1
Beers drank-several cases

223 NEF Bull barrel
55gr FMJ
Tasco 6x18x40

Posts: 1986 | From: Jordan Valley Oregon | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 12:08 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
No question about it. An AR is great for those fast followup shots and for pairs. Shoot the female first because the male won't leave without her.

Good hunting. LB

This stuff is condensed GOLD. On sites like PM, you have to separate the pepper from the flyshit. This is a compendium of all their best stuff.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 12:11 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
THANKS LB

I'VE BEEN LEANING THAT WAY FOR A LONG TIME AND THAT ANSWER JUSTED SEALED THE DEAL. ONE MORE QUESTION THOUGH, SINCE I'M PLANNING A HUNT WAY UP IN NORTHERN NODAK, DO YOU THINK THAT ADAPTOR WILL HOLD UP IN 40 BELOW TEMPERATURES OR WOULD IT JUST GET TATTERED AND SHATTERED? MAYBE I SHOULD KEEP IT IN MY PANT POCKET WHEN IT'S NOT IN USE? MIGHT HELP KEEP THE BOYS COOLED DOWN SINCE I'LL BE OUT OF TOWN.

LB
"Shoot the female first because the male won't leave without her."

I agree. That's been my experience on the locked-up breeding pairs.

[ February 09, 2010, 12:19 PM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 12:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
THANKS FOR SHOUTING IN CAPS, GREENSIDE. IT REALLY HELPS. KEEPING THE BOYS WARM IS SOMETHING THE FOLKS AT LOUDMOTH TAKE IN CONSIDERATION> A WELL WORTH IT OPTION I WOODN"T BE WITHOUT> ESPECIALLY WALKING IN AND WALKING OUT WITH YOUR HANDS FULL OF YOTES.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Brad Norman
Okie Dokie
Member # 234

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 12:36 PM      Profile for Brad Norman   Email Brad Norman         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes when I'm sitting on a set my balls start to hurt after a while. How do you keep from sitting on your balls while sitting on a set?
Posts: 298 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 12:59 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a couple of those green bands from Rick on PM. He uses them for holding the reeds on his custom calls . Works like a charm.

PS +1 on the great site

Edit to claify: My wife bought me the green bands for Christmas. She's been a RN for 38 years and knows the best ways to deal with pain. She told me they would work like a charm.

[ February 09, 2010, 01:24 PM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 01:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Brad, DUH! You are setting up your set on prickly pear cactus! Ouch!

Little green bands? I thought you wuz a farmboy? Apparently, your a Democrat, too! There's an app for that.

Good hunting. LB

edit: PRICKLY....get it?

[ February 09, 2010, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 01:56 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I know the vet has some bands for balls that would probably work for ya. But might be a bit more permanent fix than your lookin for?

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 02:32 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I THINK I'M GOING TO HAVE PROBLEMS GETTING FUR IF I CAN'T FIND THE BUSH
YES, YES YOU ARE... FINDING THE BUSH IS CRITICALLY IMPORTANT IF YOU HOPE TO SCORE SOME TRIM.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 02:34 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
ROTFLMFAO, That was classic Dave. [Big Grin]

BTW, do you have any spots I can take my son in Utah? [Razz] How about the Blaine. Reckon he cood hook a brutha up? [Smile]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 02:35 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah? Tell us about it, ya Hick. Don't mess this thread up w/bs advice. This is quality stuff, dang good info. And you won't find it anywhere else but right here in this thread, and pickin' through the flyshit, on PM, of course. Missouri GOLD. Don't fart on stand!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 02:38 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Uh..........Andy;
Those are Emasculation Bands. They're small & green & often used by call makers to hold reeds on calls.

Don't be drinkin' the corn in the middle of these serious discussin's [Big Grin]

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 02:45 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Dammit! Some of you guys are CROSS POSTING this info! That is so bush league!

koko, I don't care if you ARE a senior PAKMAN, knock it off!

Good hunting. LB

PS, Dave needs a custom title. Give me a few ideas.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 03:04 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
Utah Hunt Director
Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 03:04 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok.................I'll be good. [Cool]

BTW; What'd I do??? No way it was cross posting!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 03:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
koko, aren't you Billy Bob, on PM?

AR, that's a good one, we will use it!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Aznative
FARTS ON CLUELESS LIBERALS
Member # 506

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2010 03:11 PM      Profile for Aznative           Edit/Delete Post 
"Don't fart on the stand" Dammit, that's what I'm doing wrong. Leonard, can I still fart on a set?

--------------------
Never thought the devil would need a teleprompter but I could be wrong.

United State of America: RIP
Born July 4th 1776 died November 6th 2012

Posts: 1925 | From: Phoenix Az | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 14 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  12  13  14 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters