The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Spinners (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Spinners
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 02:58 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
49, can you see the humor. It was hilarious to me that Loco and Tyler couldnt figger out why it was so funny to me.

No contest. Fur wasnt prime, so we werent skinnin. Yeah, he wasnt totally dead yet, so I can see one person wading over and pluggin him, however, Im pretty sure he was either dead or gasping his last breaths.

But the part no one can figger why I thought it was so funny was those guys both stripped their boots, waded across this river with these bugs eating the shit out of them to get this coyote, carry him back across the river, up a steep cut bank and a good quarter mile across the desert to the truck. All of this so we could take him back to camp and throw him in a pile to rot.

I thought it was funny as hell, they thought it was normal behavior. LMAO

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 03:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, well I'd do it too. Just some quirk, but I always go get them, even if I have no use for them. Personal opinion.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31587 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 03:41 PM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like closure Leonard.

Edit: I can see the humor in the moment Andy, in that you were laughing at your buddies. I probably would have too. Now if someone told me they were laughing at a dying, suffering animal I would think that was not cool.

I am all for having respect for game.

I am also all for having a few laughs.

[ May 13, 2010, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: 4949shooter ]

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 05:54 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think it's the caliber size that determines the number of spinners or runners.I have been having great luck on coyotes out to 350 yards with my 17 Tactical.It's done just as well so far as when I was shootin my .22-250 all the time.Hell I had more spinners and runners with a .223 than any other gun I owned.Shot placement,and bullet construction are the most important things IMO.The 27 and 30 grain Kindler golds running between 3900-4100 fps are like a lightning bolt on coyotes. [Smile]

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1650 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 06:20 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
If they're still spinnin', or on thier feet just standin', I'm shootin' em' again. Have had too many spinners turn into runners and I don't care to spend time lookin' for 'em. Had a few spinners that never got recovered, a few of those ended up in holes. SO now, it's shoot 'til they stay down. Of course now that I'm shootin' the puny .204 with the bergers, I know I'm not going to make but another .20 cal. hole, so who cares!!
And as others have said, hit'em in the shoulder and there's no spinnin' about it.

[ May 13, 2010, 06:21 PM: Message edited by: TRnCO ]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 06:42 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
My Man Chad!! How the hell are ya? Havent seen anything out of my brother from another mother lately! Good to see you here! Whats happenen?

You need to stop in for the Obama bashin ceremony once in a while if nothin else. [Cool]

--------------------
Andy

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 07:09 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Andy,

What's up? Ah just been busy as hell with work and all.It's actually been kinda nice given up the computer for a while.And actually get out and do something once in a while.lol

Good Gawd I don't know,about getting into the Obama bashing,don't know if my blood pressure can handle it.lol It was fun bashing the Lib's when the country wasn't as screwed up as it is now,but now it's serious,and whenever I see or hear that son of a bitch I really get worked up!lol Even more so than when John Henry was sharing his screwed up political views. [Roll Eyes] lol

Good Hunting Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 07:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy! I bet that big dummy is satisfied? Well, maybe not "dummy" since he claims to have been tossed out of some of the best Universities in the country? Let's try CLUELESS.

And Chad. You need to check in a little more regular, even if just to back me up on the inadequacy of the 223.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 07:45 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
SO I guess we have yet another question on the table. Velocity.

Way back in grade school, we all learned that kinetic energy (for our purpose, stopping power) + (mass) X (velocity squared), therefore, bullet speed appears to have twice the influence of bnullet weight in the big scheme of things.

So, for you guys that tinker with loads specifically for coyotes, what do you think is the optimal velocity range at, say, 100-200 yards, without killing them deader than necessary, As Gerry would say?

Anywhere from 3600 at the muzzle starting out to upwards of 4100 as has been stated? Everyone always states their favorite rounds and velocities, but no one hardly ever cites how fast the damned thing is going and to me, that's critical data.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DanS
Scorched Earth (AZ Sector)
Member # 316

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 08:03 PM      Profile for DanS           Edit/Delete Post 
I slowed my CZ, 204 Ruger down. It is shooting the 35gr Bergers at 3650. Seems to knock coyotes over out to 150 yards. That is about as far as I've shot a coyote with that rifle.

My 22-250 AI is pushing a 55gr Nosler BT just under 3800. I have no freaking clue how it performs, since I got it pretty much at the end of the season, but Randy S recommended it. Dan put the barrel on it for me, and it shoots nice little groups. I'll find out this winter, I guess.

My 17 Rems are pushing the 25gr bullets about 3900.

Seems to work for me, but I don't rack up the big numbers some of you do.

[ May 13, 2010, 08:04 PM: Message edited by: DanS ]

--------------------
futuaris nisi irrisus ridebis

Saepe Expertus, Semper Fidelis, Fratres Aeterni:
Often Tested, Always Faithful. Brothers Forever!

Posts: 1465 | From: flyover country | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 08:06 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
LB,
"Clueless" is definitely the right word to discribe him,at least as far as politics goes.LOL

Yeah I'm totally serious about the .223 Won't own another one that's for damn sure.But what's funny is that it hasn't been the case with my .223 Ackley improved.It's been a real consistant coyote killer for the most part.Go figure.....

But as of late my favorite coyote rifle has been that .17 Tactical.I know that the High B.C Kindler bullets are the main reason it is such a killer.Shot at very high velocities..

Been having alot of fun this spring shooting PD's and rock chucks with my new custom 17 Ackley Hornet too. [Smile]

Good Hunting Chad

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 08:15 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly miss John Henry. And I dont mean huntin with him. He thought he was so intellectual, he was ignorant as hell. Ive never had a liberal in my life that I loved to kick in the nuts any more than JH. Not even TA. A gnad shot to TA is like kickin little pebbles in comparison to kickin JH in the nuts real hard on a political argument. LMFAO

Chad, remember the good ole days when you could have a ole boring rainy day and go to the dark side and fire that sombitch up. It would normally turn into a full day of a dogpile on JH and it was a blast. You, JDTHee and me. We reallly had some rounds didnt we? Just think if Elbee would have come over and joined in. [Big Grin]

In all honesty, I was late finding the internet. I think it was sometime around 2k. I had only found one forum I liked and it was about reloading. Anyway, I was sitting there fuckin around one night and did a search on coyote calling. The dark side and PMS showed up. I lurked for a short while and figgered out that PMS was a bunch of leg humpin fucks. I joined the darkside and immediately got my ass chewed for my handle I chose, was something about Yotes. Anyway, I had fun there for a while. I met some really good guys I never would have met any other way. Actually, I never would have found this site, which is my favorite place on the net by far.

Jason Thee is one of the best guys I have ever met. He is one of my best friends ever. Shawn Frame. Ken Riek. Bob McClelland. Mike Harter. Chad. Don Smythe. Norm Johnson. The Stipik clan. Cal Taylor. Quinton Wagoner. and many more. And many by default like Uncle Elbee and all the good folks on here.

So, JH, I gotta thank you. But if you show up to accept it, Im kickin your liberal ass in the nuts for fuckin this country up with your liberal buddies.

It is really kewl how the internet has brought so many like minded people together that otherwise would have never met. It amazes me that the ways Dewayne Green taught me to call as I was growing up here in the midwest, the basics are the same as what the guys in the west that have tons more coyotes use. Sure there are some differences, but for the most part, its the same.

Pretty Kewl. [Cool]

Disclaimer, if my posts are not making much sense, Im on some pretty heavy duty pain killers, muscle relaxors and benzos like Klonopin. Gettin ready for back surgery in a couple weeks.

--------------------
Andy

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 08:18 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,

In my 17 Tac. I'm running the 30 grain(b.c .270) Kindlers almost 4000 fps.....

I'm running the 27 grain(b.c .243)Kindlers at close to 4100 fps....

In my 17 Ackley Hornet I'm running 21 grain(b.c .160)Kindlers and 20 grain (b.c .185)Vmaxes at close to 3800 fps......

Good Hunting Chad

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 08:30 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Andy,

Yeah I remember those days,we had alot of fun that's for sure.At that poor liberal bastards expense.lol

For someone who was so well read he sure had his head up his ass when it came to politics.lol [Roll Eyes]

Chad

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 08:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
He won't admit it, but Vic was yanking his chain, too. That's why JH began a policy of no hotmail accounts, he couldn't track them down. I think he groused about treecats, something like that?

Good hunting. LB

edit: Bruce Kennedy actually built the first Coyote Gods Board. He told JH that he only wanted to ban one person and that was Jay Nistetter. That was after he wrote me and invited me to the Board. That same day I got a rejection from JH, he said "I don't think so" or words to that effect? The next day, Bruce emailed me and apologized. He said that he exercised his one ban and JH used his (on me) and Bruce couldn't do anything about it. I told him that I understood. But, I take considerable pride in knowing that I was the first person banned by JH from the dark side. LB

[ May 13, 2010, 08:47 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 08:43 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Hootie, I was getting 3570ish with my 75gr V-max's in the 243AI and Kelly was getting 3100fps with them in his 6WOA. I don't think there was much difference in how they killed except he killed a whole lot more than I did this year.

I've another friend who swears 3000fps is the magical number, anything over that is good. I however am launching the 77gr SMK's at 2650ish in the puny 223 with good results so far but I have a long way to go before I call it good.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 09:12 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
It got funny for a while there. It was toward the end, when Harter finally made politics illegal on the board. It was one on one, basically, me and JH going at it for the political belt.

But I had some cheats. Victor, Harter, Catskin and Frame and I think LB, were all emailing me ammo. So I wasnt having to do just my own research and do so many searches and watch so much news, I also had a whole team of researchers that would make Bill OReilly and Glenn Beck jealous.
[Big Grin]

We finally hammered that sombitch into submission. He said Harter shut it down, but I think I (we) hammered the son of a bitch into submission. I honestly think he had been beaten half to death politically and took his toys and went home. [Big Grin]

Ill never forget what Vic told me. I was sticking to Fox News and other mainstream sources for my info. JH was using bullshit like the Daily KOS, Democrat Underground, ACORN and other bullshit like that for his sources. It really wasnt that hard to kick his ass, especially with all the help.

Anyway, Vic told me to always stick to the deep clear main stream and let him wallow in the muddy, shallow puddles that he got his info from. This is in an email when he was feeding me some info. Makes great horse sense. [Cool]

Anyway, I think that as a group, we can all take credit for kicking the living shit out of JH politically and making him comepletely shut down politics on his own board and go write a blog somewhere.

BTW, if anyone knows where his Blog is, pleaae let me know. I would love to read what that dumb fuck is writing now.

--------------------
Andy

Andy L
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 09:18 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
While we are talking about the Darkside, I was over there a couple weeks ago. TA and I were bantering back and forth, pretty mild, at least to me it was. I was just having fun. TA aint smart enough to piss me off.

Catskin asked that we leave and take it back to this board. I love Ken like a brother and Im sure he didnt mean to leave like forever, but it appears that maybe CG board is going for a new image? Maybe they dont like a little arguing and fighting?

I was shocked.

--------------------
Andy

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 09:20 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, what you are asking covers a lot of territory. There isn't a sweet spot, or a window on terminal velocity that makes all the difference. I mean, you have bullet construction, and not only terminal velocity, but RPM based on the rifling twist, and a lot of different types of rifling along with the number of grooves. All they want to discuss is accuracy, another fairy tale.

Just as soon as some guy sticks his neck out and proclaims 3000 fps optimum, somebody else wakes up long enough to tell us how he has never lost animal @2900fps and never any damage, they all just look like they are sleeping.

At the end of the day, it's all emperical because every event is different and every firearm is also different.

There is nothing new under the sun. Your formula shows how you can rearrange the numbers and come up with the same solution. If it were only that simple.

There's too much bs out there and everybody that ever killed a coyote has an opinion. Mine is that yes, you need velocity to hit your target at random distances and you need a well constructed bullet with sufficient mass. The velocity will always be different for several reasons, distance to the target, ambient temperature affects the velocity and the trajectory, yada, yada, yada.

Mybe somebody can 'splain it better?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 09:26 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy shit! The Darkside is too legit for quarrels, these days? Is that what we have become, rabblerousers without order?

I'm shocked!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 09:58 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I am pretty ignorant when it comes to the whole Physics deal and the what's and why's of it all that's for sure.Probably why i've messed with so many calibers and cartridges and such.lol

I usually find something interesting about a certain cartridge/caliber and then go for it and put it to the test,then trial and error will determine if it's worth keeping/using for my intended purpose.Whether it be long range Trajectory,Energy,fur harvesting,recoil,etc. whatever it maybe.

I think that's half the fun.

One thing I have figured out there is no PERFECT FIT ALL coyote gun out there.IMO

Good Hunting Chad

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 11:13 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
If shots are less than 200 yds and the coyotes are called in i would say 3200 fps or more is about right for the job along with a good bullet. For shots at 200 yards and beyond at called coyotes or coyotes that are pumped 3800 fps seems to work well. I tried a AR one season along with a few friends i hunt with shooting some heavey weight bullets and when the shots get out there aways the coyotes take the hit and keep going. We got mixed results with the heavey bullets, some would go through and through like a FMJ and some just the tip of the bullet would frag. maybe more vel. would of made a difference..
The 30 gr. golds pushed at 3800 fps or more seem to hold up well going in and then exsplode. With the higher vel. and good BC there is less bullet drop and drift is much less.. There is no magic about it you just have to put the bullet where it should go and let it do its job.
Like Cal is finding out the 2o cal 50 gr. bergers are looking pretty good as well and are a little stronger compared to a 30 gold and should be able to handle a shoulder shot with no problems.
Lance: I'm getting 3850 fps. with a 30 gr. out of a 17 Rem., 3900 fps with a 30 gr. out of the 17 Pred. 3800 with a 55 gr. and 4000 with a 50 gr. out of the 20x47 Lapua. and 3900-400 with a 52 gr. out of the 22-250 ackley..

Here are whats left of some 30 gr. golds i took out of some dead coyotes with a copper plated BB for comparision on bottom left.
http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/fur%20shed/023.jpg[/IMG]]  -

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5151 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2010 02:59 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Question from an ignorant guy from the eastern seaboard...

Why do you guys prefer proprietary type cartridges, Ackley improved, and such?

Why not just a good ole .243?

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2010 05:37 AM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
The Ackley's give 2 things, more velocity and less need to trim cases. I don't think it makes much difference as far as killing but they are interesting.

I actually wound up selling my 243AI a few weeks ago. I have it in my mind to do a 22-250 with a 1/8 twist but don't want to screw with the gun I have now.

But for now I'm trying to decide on the 6WOA for my next AR or not and then my cousin keeps reminding me of the 223AI... I guess it's just to be different.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
CrossJ
SECOND PLACE: PAUL RYAN Look-a-like contest
Member # 884

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2010 05:41 AM      Profile for CrossJ   Email CrossJ         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with the plain old .243 or 22-250. But, if someone is going to spend the money to have a custom rifle built, why not go with a cartridge that will give you just a little more?

Maintain

--------------------
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body.

Posts: 1025 | From: on a water tower | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters