The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » "Call shy" coyotes (Page 3)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Author Topic: "Call shy" coyotes
Patterson
19.6 miles down the Yellow Brick Road from THE EMERALD CITY
Member # 3304

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 06:53 AM      Profile for Patterson   Email Patterson         Edit/Delete Post 
Im starting to like this thread more and more! Yep Kansas coyotes run the other way from calls and run like hell from trucks and they are screwy as all get out!! Might as well not come here to hunt [Smile]

x2 on seeing them run the other way with hand calls as well. Ive seen it with both, as im sure most all of you guys have. With the ecall I usually just chalked it up to blowing them out of the stand not know we had some real close. Which may be the case here and there but could have just been "call shy". Which is why I like the idea of starting the stand with a hand call and then using the electronics for some distance/change if nothing responds.

[ December 15, 2010, 06:54 AM: Message edited by: Patterson ]

Posts: 236 | From: Kansas | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 08:43 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I've had them ignore my calling many times. Just like I wasn't even there. After switching sounds 4 or 5 times, something finally clicked and got their attention
Bingo!

Scott had a thread about howling awhile back and mentioned starting a stand with a few howls..
Before a caller hits the old rabbit blues maybe a few howls should be tossed out there first to let any coyotes know there is another coyote around..
I know one thing when a caller moves into a area with the truck and there is a coyote off in the distance and spots the truck it will let out some warning howls to the others and its just like a chain reaction all the way down a valley. In areas like this I make a stand as soon as I get in past the gate or come into this area from another direction..

Question for the Kansas hunters:: If you know the coyotes are going to run at the first sound of a rabbit in distress then why use it????

On my last trip there was a coyote that hangs out back in the far corner of a ranch. Its been there for a few years and has seen it all. It was getting late and it did'nt pay to move off to another ranch so I decided to head back farther into the area where this coyote hangs out and see if I could get him to come in to a call.. As I got close to his terr. I stopped and glassed the area and spotted him laying on top of a ridge so I kept working my way closer to him and staying behind other ridges till I got close enough for a stand..
I parked the truck in a drainage and got out and worked my way up to the top of a ridge and stopped just a few feet before cresting it and took a look with the glasses. Yep! The coyote was still laying on top of the ridge and about 3/4 of a mile away.. I walked over the top of the ridge I was on and walked about 1/4 the way down it and then set up..
I started my stand with a few lone howls and saw the coyote point his nose to the sky and answer back. I then worked my way through a series of sounds and kept watching the coyote to see how it would react to the sounds played. When I got to the 3rd or 4th sound on my list the coyote started to take interest and walked to the other end of the ridge it was on and a little closer to me.. I played the last sound I used one more time and it appeared that the coyote was answering back but did'nt move any closer to me.. I then continued to go through my list of sounds till I hit another sound to where the coyote howled back again and then took a dump and started to rake the ground with its back feet.. This told me he was interested and also pissed off. I played one more sound and the coyote started to work its way in my direction at a fast walk. It disappeared into a shallow drainage and I did'nt see it for some time but I kept waiting.. I decided to play the last sound I used and the coyote finally appeared on the next ridge putting him a little more closer to me but still out of gun range. I played the sound again that got him comeing in my direction and he just stood there and howled at me and would not come any closer..
I just sat there for a bit and let things calm down.. I decide then I would go through my list of sounds starting at the beginning and see what happens.. I played a distress sound first and got no reaction from the coyote so I figured maybe the coyote can't hear the sound being played so I adjusted my caller by turning it to the right a little bit, more into the wind.
I played the sound again and this time the coyote purked right up and started to pase back and fourth a little. I then switched to coyote vocals and played a few from my list and then back to prey distress and letting it play continues. The coyote snapped to attension and started in my direction at a fast trott. The coyote crested another ridge about 350 yds out and stopped to look around. The sun was fadeing fast and I figured I better take the shot now or loose him in the darkness.. My rifle was just a tadd out of position so I had to make a small adjustment with the shooting sticks and while doing so I hit some crusted snow with the bottom of the sticks which made a tinney sound. The coyote heard it too and did'nt like it one bit and was off like a bolt off lightening into the drainage...LOL [Frown]
This stand took me over a hour to bring this difficult coyote in and alot was learned from him so I guess it was a even trade, I got another piece added to the puzzle and the coyote got to live another day..

Moral of the story is difficult coyotes canbe called in if you take the time and have a good sound library.. [Big Grin]

"With a hand call you are limited to what sounds you can make so by playing them over and over is just makeing a coyote more difficult to call next time..." [Wink]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5151 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 08:52 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"I know one thing when a caller moves into a area with the truck and there is a coyote off in the distance and spots the truck it will let out some warning howls to the others and its just like a chain reaction all the way down a valley."
-----------------------------------
Medical science has come a long way in the past ten years. Doctors can cure a lot of things now that were unheard of a few years ago. Problem is, they just can't FIX stupid.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Peanut Butter Man, da da da da DAH!
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 09:08 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
With a hand call you are limited to what sounds you can make so by playing them over and over is just makeing a coyote more difficult to call next time..."
You just did that with an electronic call. And sounds to me like you used up your entire "sound library" in the process.
Posts: 545 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
coyote down
Knows what it's all about
Member # 2887

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 09:18 AM      Profile for coyote down   Email coyote down         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim

It gets more fascinating everytime you tell us what you KNOW. It's amazing how a coyote will howl everytime it spots a truck in the distance.
It's even more amazing that you can stop your truck right away and have no problem calling coyotes who are warning all the other coyotes of in the area. But I guess it is like you said before you ususally call coyotes in areas where you can see all of them and their reactions to the sounds being used and to your moving your caller around. I'm still waiting on you to let us know what mistakes us stupid people are making so we can become better callers? It's a good thing there were no essay questions to answer to win the mr. coyote contest.

Posts: 32 | From: colorado | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 09:23 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
coyote down,
Sometimes a man can do almost EVERYTHING wrong and still call a few coyotes. I think we should all purchase a Jackson "Bucket Head" kit.

--------------------

TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 09:37 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You just did that with an electronic call. And sounds to me like you used up your entire "sound library" in the process.
Nope!!! I can still come back later and do it all over and the coyote may come easier the next time... You just don't get it!!!!!!

I'm trying to get you pointed in the right direction with out haveing to break any promises..

Shaw: Awhile back when I was going to get my WT I asked you what sounds you recomended to check with on my list of what I had picked out. You gave me a couple prey distress sounds and one or two coyote vocals and that was it.. After useing my WT for a few years now the list you gave me tells me how limited you are on how to use them properly...
One thing you failed to understand with youre WT is that some sounds have to be used with others to paint a picture to bring the difficult coyotes in.
I'm still a "loyal friend" so give me a call sometime and maybe I can help you out..... [Big Grin]

--------------------

coyote down
Member # 2887

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 09:38 AM      Profile for coyote down   Email coyote down         Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding. The next thing Tim is going to tell us is that he killed every coyote down that valley. I'm waiting patiently for the next fable.
R.Shaw
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 09:47 AM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Nope!!! I can still come back later and do it all over and the coyote may come easier the next time... You just don't get it!!!!!!

Tim...you are right. I don't get it.
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 09:48 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering who coyote down is? He talks like he has been around the boards for a while?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31582 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JohnLK
Pro-Staff Great/Michigan Sector
Member # 1978

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 09:52 AM      Profile for JohnLK           Edit/Delete Post 
Calling coyotes can be alot like fishing. You bounce all the lures in your tackle box right off the end of thier nose and they just won't bite. Come back another time and catch'em on the frist cast with a hook and worm.
Posts: 54 | From: Michigan | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 10:25 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's amazing how a coyote will howl everytime it spots a truck in the distance.

I did'nt say every coyote would howl and did'nt say it will happen everytime. Just saying it could be one of the problems the kansas callers are haveing.

quote:
It's even more amazing that you can stop your truck right away and have no problem calling coyotes who are warning all the other coyotes of in the area
I don't stop right away if this happens, I will move back out of the area and let it calm down and then make an approach from a different direction..
When a coyote starts to warn other coyotes it just telling them that somethings not right or they feel uncomfortable. They don't know what a truck is or whats inside it, but some will be affraid of the site of the truck. Remove this fear by removeing the truck from the picture...
I've bumped coyotes from time to time as I drive through a area, no big deal. Just keep on driveing and come back to this coyote from another direction at a later time which canbe 15 min. or perhaps longer depending on the coyote..

quote:
But I guess it is like you said before you ususally call coyotes in areas where you can see all of them and their reactions to the sounds being used and to your moving your caller around.
I can't see them all the time but I know they are there. Some coyotes when they hear a caller will pop up over a ridge to take a look some won't. I usually set up on a side hill about 1/4 of the way down sometimes farther depending on whats in front of me. I don't want any blind spots in front of the caller.. When calling I'm usually laying on my side with rifle set up in front and a little to my right. Take a look at one of Les Johnsons vidios to get the picture.. You don't have to sit completly lifeless like a rock if the coyote is'nt right in front of you and when it is you can still get away with some movement, just don't move when its looking directly at you..Simple enough...

quote:
I'm still waiting on you to let us know what mistakes us stupid people are making so we can become better callers?
Not saying anyone is stupid just saying you don't know from lack of exspeariance.... [Wink]
Everyone makes mistakes, even I do from time to time. Learn from youre mistakes rather than keeping on doing them.. Even if a mistake is made there still are things you can get away with depending on how bad the mistake was and the coyote you made the mistake with....

Just because a coyote barks or warns other coyotes dose'nt mean the game is over. The coyote is just uncomfortable with something you may have down and you can still turn the stand around in youre favor like give a lonesome howl for example. This tells the coyote there is another coyote in the area.

I don't have all the answers or can give you the answers you need cause each stand I make is different from the next and each coyote is different. Its up to you to figure them out, just take youre time and think about whats takeing place and if something dose'nt work then try something else either in sounds or just leave the stand and come in from another direction and different time...

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 10:45 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
"Not saying anyone is stupid just saying you don't know from lack of exspeariance....
Everyone makes mistakes, even I do from time to time. Learn from youre mistakes rather than keeping on doing them.. Even if a mistake is made there still are things you can get away with depending on how bad the mistake was and the coyote you made the mistake with....

Just because a coyote barks or warns other coyotes dose'nt mean the game is over. The coyote is just uncomfortable with something you may have down and you can still turn the stand around in youre favor like give a lonesome howl for example. This tells the coyote there is another coyote in the area.

I don't have all the answers or can give you the answers you need cause each stand I make is different from the next and each coyote is different. Its up to you to figure them out, just take youre time and think about whats takeing place and if something dose'nt work then try something else either in sounds or just leave the stand and come in from another direction and different time.."

Man Tim got to hand it to ya, you are a legend in your own mind.lol

Who the hell do you think you're talking too? It sure as hell ain't the greenie callers on Predator Masters. Most of the guys on here have more calling experience in there little finger than you do in your whole body.

I never thought I would need hip boots to be a predator caller but to wade through all your bullshit I guess I need to rethink that. [Razz]

Good Hunting Chad

[ December 15, 2010, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1650 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 10:46 AM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea who coyote down is but I like him already for some reason. [Big Grin]
Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 6 posted December 15, 2010 11:15 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Fellas...

You just have to understand that Tim is no ordinary predator caller, he has the ability to "mind control" coyotes with his WT caller and his knowledge of their thought process, it's uncany!

quote:
Yep! The coyote was still laying on top of the ridge and about 3/4 of a mile away..
My question is why did you even try calling this coyote when you could have easily just shot it from that distance? From 3/4mile away you could have put one through it's ear just to mess with him! [Razz]
IP: Logged
6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 11:25 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
I thought it was prairie dogs that let out a warning call to the rest.. sounds like a target identification problem?????
Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 01:28 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"I thought it was prairie dogs that let out a warning call to the rest.. sounds like a target identification problem????? "
-----------------------------------------
6mm284,
Tim is only trying to impress his mentor, but he is failing badly I fear. Wiley E must be cringing in disgust when he reads the crap old Tim posts here. Don't get me wrong though, Tim works his tail off out there. I appreciate what he is trying to do, put the poor guy just don't quite get it.

--------------------

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 01:47 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim A don't foprget many of those coyotes will trust their "eye's" as much and at times more than their ears. We are talking call shy coyotes correct?

The comment that a coyote doesn;t like mouth calls becuase you need to take air is just plain and simple out there!

We all know it has to be the magic of the WT correct? LOL.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 01:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There is no doubt that TA has improved his game. I have to give him credit for that.

I wonder if he has an attitude like Robb Krause, (maybe coyote down?) in that he does things in forums "because he can"? He has the ability to push many buttons. Especially those that have hunted with him, like AR, Roade, Unknown, Geordie, Scott, etc.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31582 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 02:01 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tim is only trying to impress his mentor, but he is failing badly I fear. Wiley E must be cringing in disgust when he reads the crap old Tim posts here. Don't get me wrong though, Tim works his tail off out there. I appreciate what he is trying to do, put the poor guy just don't quite get it.

Not really Rich. Just letting Scott know his time was'nt wasted on me like it was with some others... If a caller wants to believe that coyotes can't be called towards a road or be called after they have been shot at or called by another caller that messed up on them thats fine with me, but I know different...
My numbers have gone up every year and my numbers at home have gone up as well. I got it but you did'nt...LOL [Smile]

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 02:11 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"My numbers have gone up every year and my numbers at home have gone up as well. I got it but you did'nt...LOL [Smile]"
------------------------------
Tim,
If my health would allow it, my coyote numbers would far exceed yours. Why? Because I have forgotten more about coyotes than YOU will ever even LEARN. Wise people keep trying to help you but it ain't working. Just keep on waving your WT around like a dang flag, at least the dumb and the blind coyotes will still come in for ya. [Wink]

--------------------

coyote down
Member # 2887

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 02:19 PM      Profile for coyote down   Email coyote down         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim

You've got me wondering about something. Since you do not know me, how do you know I have a lack of calling experience, or you have more experience than I do? I would never assume such a thing if I was you.
I'm sure glad your trying to help me out here with all of your wisdom, but I'm not quite sure you are who I would choose to be mentored by. I bet it was hard to admit that even you make a mistake from time to time. I was beginning to get the feeling you were perfect the way you talk down to all of us stupid people who lack in knowlege compared to you.
How do you know there is always a coyote there when you are calling? Is it like the guy with a thermos who, when he puts in ice tea it stays cold, and when he puts in hot coffee it stays warm. Just how does that thermos know?

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 02:20 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tim A don't foprget many of those coyotes will trust their "eye's" as much and at times more than their ears. We are talking call shy coyotes correct?

The comment that a coyote doesn;t like mouth calls becuase you need to take air is just plain and simple out there!

Coyote whacker: Yes we are talking call shy (difficult) coyotes. Yes at times they trust there eye more than there ears but they don't fear what they can't see.
You miss understood me about mouth calls.. Some coyotes may require a continues sound to keep them comeing and most hand callers don't call continues or often enough to keep the coyote interested. So some coyotes will come and then stop and if they are close enough to begin with then a caller has a chance for a shot. But if they started comeing in from a long ways off they may not reach the caller in the 15 min. mark if the coyote is cautious and keeps stopping... I had some coyotes that only required a few loud chirps from a AP-9 to bring them in all the way running and had others where you had to keep the sound going...

--------------------

ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 02:29 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
Coyote whacker: Yes we are talking call shy (difficult) coyotes. Yes at times they trust there eye more than there ears but they don't fear what they can't see.

What?!!!

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
R.Shaw
Member # 73

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 02:29 PM      Profile for R.Shaw           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
they don't fear what they can't see.

Last time I checked...I couldnt see my scent.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters