The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Is anybody actually killing coyotes? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Is anybody actually killing coyotes?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 08:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, TA17Rem. Glad to have you on board.

Sorry about the delay.

Yes, Albert came down a couple years ago and we hunted Nevada, mostly night hunting. As I recall, it was January and unseasonably warm, and Albert wasn't very impressed with Nevada coyotes, compared to his?

I've been meaning to go up and hunt with him ever since.....judging by the recent "hog" mulie and his wolf pics, I think I have waited too long?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31473 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
albert
Knows what it's all about
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 11:19 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Weather is unusaully warm with only a couple of days below 0 F. Southern sask has no snow, were I live you can still drive backroads but there is snow on the ground. Eastern part of sask has about 18" of snow. As for sounds I just pretend that I am hand calling. Do the basics. Sound is down the list of things you need to do right in order to kill a coyote.(what do think of that statement?) I doesn't hurt to hand call over top of an electronic you know.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 03:25 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
CRYPTIC!
IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 03:58 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
LOL! hmmmm, a code talker. [Cool]

I'm thinking, what he is saying is. Didn't matter what sound, as much as it did. Useing his handcall & e-caller @ the same time. [Big Grin]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2006 05:09 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Albert, you could say I hunt kinda like Leonard sometimes. I can understand why you were not to impressed with Nevada coyote hunting. I'm sure Leonard told you it has not always been that way.
Albert, I'm happy you're doing good. I've only been able to go hunting maybe 10 or 12 times since Oct of this last year. My goal was to match my age with dead coyotes this year.
I got about half the critters I needed then my truck got sick, I fixed it, it got sick again " lots of money". Then I got sick and sick again. I think the coyote Gods are after me, no pun intended. [Frown] All these pictures guys are posting makes me feel better [Smile]

[ January 28, 2006, 06:03 AM: Message edited by: onecoyote ]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
RedRabbit
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted January 30, 2006 11:11 PM      Profile for RedRabbit   Email RedRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, all Im new to this forum, don't mean to be a lurk, but I been getting a feel for the forum and been searching around here to see what info I need to enhance my coyote hunting....going out in the AM to try my luck. Im glad I found the hardcore coyote addicts.
Posts: 241 | From: SE IDAHO | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 04:22 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Higgins is the only really hardcore coyote guy around here. Rumor has it, that he has actually been found sleeping with dead coyotes, trying to gain their knowledge.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 06:28 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Osmosis doesn't work, even with the help of my friends, who will be remembered. [Big Grin]
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 31, 2006 09:54 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, redrabbit. Glad to have you on board.

Voluntarily sleeping over a four day dead coyote ranks right up there as one of the most impressive things Higgins has ever done. A legend in the making. They will be talking about it late at night, around the campfire, long after all of us have shed this mortal coil.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Nahuatl
Member # 708

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 12:15 PM      Profile for Nahuatl   Email Nahuatl         Edit/Delete Post 
My team had some good action all through the weekend. Shot 4 missed more. All of it came during daylight with shotguns.

I somehow managed a double barrel double. Beretta choked Super Full and Full with 3.5 inch Hevi-Shot. The pair came to whines and pup distress, live coyote distress and the left circle dance. City's in the background.

But this shot below is one of the best memories of my season.

-

This is my novice/daughter/partner hunting in her first competitive hunt ever in Nov. '05. I called a pair of males and she got a true double with a .223. She bagged them both looking back at us with neck shots.

Finally, I'll end this with a pic from the club's December hunt when 15 guys were out. She took second with this cat.

-

The club's season is already over.

[ February 11, 2006, 10:50 AM: Message edited by: Nahuatl ]

Posts: 202 | From: Mount Gleason, Angeles NF | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
pup
Member # 90

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 01:43 PM      Profile for pup           Edit/Delete Post 
He walked a mile in to a stand with a "hot spot" on his foot. It was a productive stand, I luckily made a good shot, and he got it on film. I thought he was trying to get his money's worth out of those tennis shoes. [Wink] [Wink] , so on the way out I asked him why he was limping. He then told me that he had a cactus thorn that he had stepped on two days prior. I don't think I would of left the truck if it were me, and I wouldn't of let him if I had known. I offered to dig it out, but I don't think I fit his idea of a DR.

I am not for sure legend will even begin to encompass the story that will eventually unravel.

Posts: 213 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2006 01:57 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm? Is that who I think it is, on the right? Looks like old DJ.

edit: Gary, I'm sure that I have met your daughter several years ago. She's all grown up, now.

My own daughter is just this side of a Zen Buddhist, wouldn't think of harming a flea. [Roll Eyes] Fortunately, my son and grandsons inherited the killer genes.

Good hunting. LB

[ February 01, 2006, 04:31 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

RedRabbit
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 02:24 PM      Profile for RedRabbit   Email RedRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the welcome all, and its good to see your on the threads Rich. I read your article in Predator hunting magazine winter 05 I was impressed to see there is someone who goes the extra mile to find out about coyote behavior. I live in SE Idaho and know of INL the "SITE" where you conducted your research. Iam interested in those videos you mentioned in the article "Up Close and Personal" and "Ledgens and Masters of the Call". Gotta have em. How can I get them? I hope they'll shed some light on my coyote persuits, as coyotes have humbled me many times...... I have read some interesting threads here on the subject of coyote hunting. Sounds like there isnt to many guesses. BTW I dont think you have to sleep with dead animals Rich. LOL, but Ive seen pet dogs roll around on them, so maybe it would'nt be a bad idea to rub catfish chum on yourself to bring them in...LOL just kidding.

[ February 05, 2006, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: RedRabbit ]

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 02:43 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
coyotes have humbled me many times......
Welcome to the clan of the kindered spirit, RedRabbit.

You don't think any of us would stoop so low as to hunt something easy, do you.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 08:42 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
Went out today (sunday) had some pretty good luck. First picture is of Robby dragging one in though maybe it would show a little of the country we where hunting.

-
 -

Second Picture is of our tally. Their's ten in there some where.

Actually there is four peeled hides in the plastic bag. Robby was skinning as we shot them until he lost this knife.

Oops got them backwards.

[ February 05, 2006, 08:46 PM: Message edited by: albert ]

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
RedRabbit
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2006 10:04 PM      Profile for RedRabbit   Email RedRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
Damn, thats awsome Albert! Id just be glad to get one of these mountain coyotes her in Idaho. Whudja do just have them runnin out of that thicket one after another or was that several stands? how many male vs females there?
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 08:36 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Was in an informal bragging rights coyote and crow contest on Saturday. Our team got second place I believe (out of a dozen teams?) with one coyote (20 points) and one crow (1 point). The one crow put us ahead of a few teams that also had one coyote. The winning team had 2 coyotes. The wind was blowing 20-30 mph all day and the temps started the day at 12 and I think finally hit 30 at the end of the day.

My bronchitis didn't get any worse, but I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn... Couldn't hit a crow to save my life, couldn't hit the wounded coyote as it ran broadside to me out around 100 yards. I gave him him a full body length lead which was too much given I'm shooting a 3700fps 22-250 and not a 3000fps 223, the coyote was running uphill, had run a couple hundred yeards with his liver and a few guts hanging out, and at the last second turned to quarter away to a hole in the fence to a picked field. The shot flew infront of him and turned him and kept him in the grass and out of the harvested field so the blood trail was much easier to track so my shot wasn't all for not... We tracked him and found him laying dead facing his back trail a few hundred yards from where I shot at and turned him. I didn't have a second shot at him because once he turned and ran straight away he was blocked by a bunch of branches in a tree beside me... Oh well. I'm glad I survived it and didn't get any sicker. [Big Grin]

Here's the pic of the coyote and crow (over the coyote's underbelly hole) with a modified crow decoy behind the coyotes back (motion wing crow decoy "mounted" on the back of a stationary crow decoy). The coyote almost stepped on the shooter who was laying prone on a pond dam and then the coyote took off, the shooter's 55 grain hp 22-250 "texas heart shot" was a little low and sliced his underbelly open or splashed or something. I'm not sure what happened, I'm going to do some csi work because it just wasn't normal.

-

Anyway, it was a fun day!! Too cold and too windy for my poor health, but a fun day!

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 10:24 AM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
RR made 16 stands and all ten were singles. only called in multiple coyotes three times. Made one bad stand selection so when three came in they where in and out so fast that we only got one. The other two stands never worked out to get the double. I'm a firm believer in the old saying "A bird in the hand....".

There were 7 females and 3 males most responses seemed to be on the slow side. In fact one I had all ready stood up to quit the stand. Fortunately it stood around long enough to get it's self killed. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good.

[ February 06, 2006, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: albert ]

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

RedRabbit
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2006 10:14 PM      Profile for RedRabbit   Email RedRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I got one at about 4:00 pm Red desert and Hot Dog mouthpiece blown simutaneously wavering on the tips. I was just messing around with the cool sounds it was generating in my ear on and off for what seemed like 30 min and then she showed up. No picture, but it was a very pale, silvery female.. Hit her right in the chops...I was thinking "A bird in the hand also.....Sorry no pic.

[ February 06, 2006, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: RedRabbit ]

RedRabbit
Member # 796

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 08:59 AM      Profile for RedRabbit   Email RedRabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
What the hell is an "Estrus Chirp"? Ive never heard one. Is it anywhere close to a female invitation howl...
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 11:34 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
That is an extremely high-pitched, short duration yipe or chirp sounding vocalization that the female issues to a male during the female solicitation behavior prior to mating. Varmit hunter aka Ronnie Robison gave it that name. We just called them female mating yipes before that.
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 08:32 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
.....Now is this "chirp" issued by the female, pre-coitus,or post penetration? Does it start out low, then reach a crescendo,or are the "chirps" furtive and shrill?
Are these "estrus chirps", solicited to an all ready present male? or does the female elicit these chirps as she "walks the wash" on her midnight sojourns?
Does it attract other males to the area in hopes of sinking the pink, or merely attract the voyeuristic, sub-alpha males to peek over the fence and watch?

Posts: 1630 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2006 09:07 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
"Sinking the pink"? Vic, my Philistine friend, are you setting me up for another "penile peep" or are you truly expanding your horizons? [Smile]
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 05:41 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Looks to an innocent bystander like an attempt to broaden your "horizons" Rich.....

Dont bite... [Wink]

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2006 07:56 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't challenge him, Vic. You already know he sleeps with dead coyotes to technicolor his cosmic dreams. If you toss around these provocative words and phrases and get him all fired up, who knows where it may lead? But, it won't be pretty.

Good hunting. LB

PS but seriously, Rich. Just answer the man's question.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters