The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » MANGE!!!!!! (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: MANGE!!!!!!
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2008 05:56 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
Just because a coyote gets mange doesn't mean he also gets stupid. In other words, a cold winter doesn't mean that they'll all freeze to death. We had coyotes staying in our barns during the cold winter nights, eating our cat food/dog food. One of our neighbors even had one that took up residence in his old dog house at nights, his dog was no longer in this world, of course. If they can find an easy food source, they will live, no matter how cold it gets. We've killed several over the years on the farm in KS. that were literally walking scabs! Smelled aweful, looked aweful. They must've also tasted aweful, because the grey hounds wouldn't even hold them down when they would catch them. Always had to shoot them to finish them off.
This last year, was one of the best years, back in that country as far as killing "good" coyotes, in many years. Hopefully, it has about run its course.

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 29, 2008 06:28 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
As a kid, when I was first hunting coyote using sight hounds, we had to go out to a buddy's house early in the morning to wait for him to get his cattle fed. On several occasions, he would be loading the feedwagon using a front end loader taking ensilage out of a trench silo and pull out a bucket full of feed when we got there and in the bad times for mange, it wasn't at all unusual to see a mangy coyote bale out of the bucket, or run from the trench silo where they'd taken refuge from the cold in the warm, steaming fermenting ensilage in little shallow holes they'd dig. Nope, they aren't stupid at all.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Bandit
Knows what it's all about
Member # 960

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2008 07:52 PM      Profile for The Bandit   Author's Homepage   Email The Bandit         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

You have and open invitation if you want to give it a wirl in my neck of the woods. I moved pretty close to where you told me you have hunted before near Brainard. I'm not so sure it's any better over here yet because we called several with mange last year.

Todd

--------------------
Minaska Outdoors, Inc.

Posts: 49 | From: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Todd,
The first time I called that Brainard area, we killed four coyotes in a couple of hours or so. That area has a lot of good wildlife habitat, and fairly easy access to calling locations. Thanks for the invite, I may just take you up on it.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2008 08:56 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There's another Brainard?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Bandit
Member # 960

Icon 1 posted September 30, 2008 09:23 PM      Profile for The Bandit   Author's Homepage   Email The Bandit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There's another Brainard?
Yes, there is a Brainard Nebraska

Rich let me know

[ September 30, 2008, 09:40 PM: Message edited by: The Bandit ]

--------------------
Minaska Outdoors, Inc.

Posts: 49 | From: Lincoln Nebraska | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2008 05:22 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
The Bandit,
I have a list of things to do this morning. Gonna check prices of nebraska hunting license, call your office in search of your home phone number, and setup a time to meet with you for a little scouting. Steve tells me that you are on vacation most of the time anyway, so we may as well do some calling. [Wink]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2008 09:07 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Take it easy on him, Rich. Don't walk his butt off.

Good huting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2008 11:31 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
Walk Todd's butt off? My name ain't Huber, ya pin head! [Big Grin]

--------------------

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted October 01, 2008 12:48 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
TRNCO, cold is a relative term depending on where one lives, if you can get it at 10 degrees or below that point for a period of time at night then your going to kill off a big portion of mangy coyotes. They just cannot make the body heat needed even in the bales and will stress out or freeze to death. Our problem as other spots in the US we have been getting that for 3 days and then warms back up, if they have no fur they can only generate so much body heat once they are chilled down then there done.

I have seen some that stressed out and die in traps in 24hrs when the temps where in the higher 20's.lower 30's at night. Ranchers in this area found there share dead in hay stacks in Febuary last year they just couldn't take anymore, you can clean up an area if we have those really cold conditions night after night for a period of time.

The cold/warm patterns is what helps them keep going, if we have a real winter this year with 2 ft or more snow on the level and nightly temps in the single digits for a 7-10 days there will be alot less mange come next spring for sure. There are only so many places they can get to insulate them somewhat, but really cold temps will do them in or the ranchers can that find them sleeping on the square bales in the machine sheds.They are so worn down they just go to the house grab a .22 and the coyote never moves off the bale. A mercy killing is what I would call it [Big Grin]

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2008 07:59 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Just talked to another rancher Friday that said he had found three coyote pups this summer about half grown around a stock dam. Two dead snotty nosed diahrea and one still barely alive, had hair. Sounds like parvo or distemper to me??

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 05, 2008 12:19 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like parvovirus to me, Randy. I've seen a lot of greyhound puppies come down with it and that's exactly how it presents. Goes through them like wildfire.

On a related note, I came across an intersting article in my "stack of stuff" and thought I'd offer up the particulars as written. This article is By Danny Pence (Texas Tech) and Lamar Windberg (USDA/APHIS, entitled Impact of Sarcoptic Mange Epizootic On a Coyote Population, J. Wildl. Manage., 58(4):624-633.

The following abstract is published:

http://www.jstor.org/pss/3809675

Admittedly, this report offers a litany of very interesting information on the impact of mange in coyote population dynamics - far more than is addressed in the abstract - and is a good read if you can find it online. All I can find is the link to the abstract and first page.

Anyway, parse away.....

[ October 05, 2008, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters