The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » where he stops, or as close as possible? (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: where he stops, or as close as possible?
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 04:15 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah and like 99% of the coyotes I shoot while calling are 0-300 yards even out here in the wide open West. [Roll Eyes]

And with a flat shooting rifle you damn near hold on fur all the way out to that range(300 yards).So for me, turrets seem like a waste of time for the 1% that are out past that.IMO But to each is own....

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 04:34 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
Why not have the capabilities to kill the other 1%? Lets face it most guys are out there to put up a big number for the day/weekend. Why limit yourself? I had a BDC reticle made for my scope and it has saved my ass plenty. If you want to limit yourself why not hunt with a shotgun or bow only.

Talk to Cal he will be doing it with a buck knife and killing triples in TX next year. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 04:50 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Limit myself my ass..So say I kill 99 coyotes in a season,I should beat myself up that I didn't kill that 100th coyote if only I had just had Turrets on my scope....Please. lol

And I'm talking Turrets,not Ballistic plex type crosshairs.

Good Hunting Chad

[ May 19, 2010, 05:02 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 06:37 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't beat yourself up over it just be capable of killing it instead of telling everyone about the "other one" you called in that day. BDC knobs by Leupold aren't a reticle I mispoke in that last post they put the yardage on your elevation knob (turret) specified for your specific rifle and load. It's the cats meow and I recommend it to everyone.

Going into the field limiting yourself to 300yds unless you are hunting in shotgun terrain IS "limiting" yourself. I'm not saying everyone should be capable and have the equipment to hit 9 out of 10 at 1000yds but 300yds and under gives up a lot of coyotes in open country.

Everyone is there own but why not give yourself the best oppurtunity to "kill em all"

[ May 19, 2010, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: nd coyote killer ]

--------------------

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 07:49 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah I know,I know,I have seen where alot of guys over on PMS are consistantly killing coyotes at 1000 yards all the time...lol Yeah right...I think it's bullshit for the most part..

To many variables to do it all the time,for such a limited amount of time that you take those kind of shots.But whatever. Kill em all if you must.lol

For me,400 yards is a hell of a shot on a coyote and would be about as far as I would try. And I know about where my rifle shoots out to that range(about 13 inches low)and if I had to I could compensate for that with my plain ol crosshair.

Good Hunting Chad

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 08:01 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
300 yards would be a poke for me, I seldom take a shot approaching that distance but maybe twice a year, and most times, wonder why I even tried it.
Ive said it before many times, I hunt southern Arizona, and many places I hunt I could blindfold some of the Wy guys,and when we got on stand, and you take of the blinder, you would swear you were home. In these places, I still call coyotes from as far away as you can see them, to 40 yards in front of the gun.
I would imagine 90% of the coyotes I call and kill are between 30-80 yards, I shoot at very few past the 100 yard mark, and don't really care to.

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 08:22 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh don't get me wrong i carry a shotgun on stand in fall and winter and want the coyotes as CLOSE as possible and the highest percentage of the coyotes shot are in that 30-150yds but terrain, conditions, missed shots, multiples hanging up after the first is dusted ect ect make for a fair number of shots that are 300-500yds and those coyotes need to make it to the back of the pickup.

--------------------

TOM64
Knows what it's all about
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 08:37 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I fell into the turret trap last year. Had an elevation M1 turret put on my 3.5-10 for my 243AI, the longest shot I had was 315 yards. I held into the wind and head high, striking him in the upper chest as he sat on his haunches looking for me, while his partner came in to get the rabbit. It was neat watching him tip over in the scope.

After the fact I thought about how rare the shot was for ME and the fact that even the Boone and Crockett reticle on another scope would do better for MY type of hunting. It (the B&C reticle) just happens to match my 77gr 223 load pretty well and now sits on my AR. I just don't shoot that far to need anything more.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 08:48 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
That's another thing I don't mess with is a shotgun.To much shit to pack out there for the CHANCE you may need it.

Sure there is that chance but as often as it would come in handy,it's just not worth it to me.

Am I missing opportunities on coyotes by not shooting a shotgun,or using Turrets on my scope?maybe,maybe not I still manage to kill quite a few coyotes every season with just my good ol rifle and 3x10 plain jane cross haired scope. [Wink]

Good Hunting Chad

nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2010 09:27 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing wrong with the KISS method as long as you don't whine about the ones that get away.

--------------------

Kelly Jackson
SECOND PLACE/GARTH BROOKS LOOK-A-LIKE CONTEST
Member # 977

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 06:34 AM      Profile for Kelly Jackson   Email Kelly Jackson         Edit/Delete Post 
10 yards to 150 will get most of the coyotes.
Anything passed 300 (on a broadside coyote) is a crap shoot for me.
I like the B&C ret. also Tom.

Posts: 997 | From: Comanche OK | Registered: Oct 2006  |  IP: Logged
3 Toes
El Guapo
Member # 1327

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 07:33 AM      Profile for 3 Toes           Edit/Delete Post 
I have been playing with custom turrets on several rifles. It all comes down to need. On occasion I really need a certain coyote. The nice thing about turrets is that you don't have to use them. I still sight my rifle in dead on at 200 and 90% or more coyotes fit into that category or less. Don't even think about the turret. But if one hangs up out there a ways and I really NEED to kill him, I range him, dial it, and generally kill him. Even a 400 yard coyote is easier to kill with a dead on hold than with Kentucky windage and elevation. If I was still doing some western contest hunts I would say a turret would help in that situation also. May only gain you a coyote or two, but sometimes that could make all the difference. I used the Burris ballistic reticle for several years and it really helped out, but the turret is far more accurate for actual yardage. Especially the custom turrets with yardage marks for a particular rifle. No counting clicks, just dial the yardage and fire. But mine and ND's situation are unique and there are times when you have spent a few days chasing a certain coyote and you get one chance at extended yardage and really need to make it count. And we have the country that requires it. If I were in certain other parts of the country a turret on a big scope and a hot rod caliber just aren't necessary and would be downright foolish. I'd be packing a 6 lb ultra light rifle with a 20 inch barrel and a 2 to 6X scope if I could get away with it.

--------------------
Violence may not be the best option....
But it is still an option.

Posts: 1034 | From: out yonder | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 08:26 AM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Like Tom, I also fell into the turret trap and had the Leupold CDS elevation turret added to my 3.5-10. Did I really need this for the calling I do? Mostly not. But it is simple and has proven to be repeatable and if nothing else, it got me shooting more at longer ranges and it sure is nice to plant the crosshairs right where you want to hit rather than on air.

In my opinion, turrets on a coyote rifle are a lot like custom barrels and high dollar glass on the same, probably not needed 98% of the time for the average caller. But sure can't hurt anything either. At least the technology is there if a guy wants to use it.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 11:56 AM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Lonnie.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Paul Melching
Radical Operator Forum "You won't get past the front gate"
Member # 885

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 02:33 PM      Profile for Paul Melching           Edit/Delete Post 
Custom rifles and high end glass is nice if you have the expendable income or shooting and custom loads are a passion.
For some like Cal and Scott H. it is a tool of the trade and needed for that one chance at the right coyote.
But for me a 1/2 " group is very good I reload because I enjoy it and get better more consistant loads and better shooting to a point.
I am in agreement with Vic on this one.

--------------------
Those who value security over liberty soon will have neither !

Posts: 4188 | From: The forest ! north of the dez. | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 02:47 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm getting suspicious! Every time Lone Howl makes a post, there's Lonny. Every time Lonny makes a post, Lone Howl soon follows. I mean, sure, it's legal, and all but something ain't right! Spooooky!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 03:38 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
And they registered at the same time....
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 04:17 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, you see it too? I'm just wondering if these are two people, or not? Or, just very good friends, if you know what I mean?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 05:40 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Well hell... It looks like the jig is finally up for us LH. We've been figured out and might as well come clean. Living this lie is getting to be more of a burden each day and I'm ready for it to end.

One thing is for sure, if LH and I go down there are a bunch of you guys coming with us! Too many times I've seen Andy and TA in the same thread to think that it's more than just a coincidence. Same with all the guys from Oklahoma... Not for a second do I believe Tom, Kelly, Geordie, and Brad are actually different people.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lone Howl
Free Trial Platinum Member & part-time language police
Member # 29

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 07:30 PM      Profile for Lone Howl   Email Lone Howl         Edit/Delete Post 
umm...I agree with Lonnie.

--------------------
When tyranny becomes law, rebellion becomes duty.

Posts: 2083 | From: Texas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 07:38 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Confession is good for the soul.

Now, those other guys. Really? I can't believe it!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 08:33 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh ya, it's a common knowledge that Andy and TA are one and the same.

But all us Okies are different, hey that don't sound right...

sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 09:31 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
I am with G too.. And California doubles/triples my ass... Anyone with reasonable shooting skills and calm, can pick off three-four Coyotes at one minute intervals. Doubles, Triples, Quads, are Coyotes that arrive at the same time and die at the same time. It takes good management and some luck to make the triples/quads. Myself, If I have a double come in and I fail to kill both of them, I consider that a failure.
Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
sparkyibewlocal440
Member # 397

Icon 1 posted May 20, 2010 09:34 PM      Profile for sparkyibewlocal440   Email sparkyibewlocal440         Edit/Delete Post 
Forgot to mention, that's with bolt gun.
Posts: 170 | From: So. Cal | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
knockemdown
Our staff photo editing Guru, par excellence
Member # 3588

Icon 1 posted May 21, 2010 05:00 AM      Profile for knockemdown   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the 'Nightforce' thread...
The fact that a hunting situation where turrets can be of value are RARE cannot be overstated. It's just one of those deals where guys (such as myself) like to talk about that kinda stuff...

Some hunters use their rifles & scopes as a means to an end, so to speak. Other hunters take their gear selection a step farther than that 'Machiavellian' role. Doesn't make one hunter right or wrong, just makes them different...

Investing in top notch equipment is not always about having 'disposable income' at the ready. Some guys (like me) might just like to shoot more than the next guy, therefore pursue the hobby with more vigor and spend more on high quality gear. Heck, I eat PB&J sandwiches for lunch every day and cook the venison I killed last season 3 & 4X a week for dinner so I can spend my $$$ on the things I really "need" [Wink]

And regarding BDC knobs, I can't see how spinning a BDC knob is any different than spinning a MOA or mrad turret? IF anything, the BDC knobs limit the shooter to one rifle & load at one set of conditions. Given the fact that I travel to hunt quite a bit and move scopes around on rifles, BDC knobs are not the best choice for me. And that's not even taking into account the ability of the scope to track 'true' with those BDC knobs. A knob don't mean squat if the scope its screwed to don't track. And the limitations of a BDC reticle are just as real, given the fact that the reticle is calibrated for only ONE magnification power. But I'll digress...

Sure enough, the gun don't make the hunter. Never did & never will. And I hope this post didn't come off as being overly defensive on my part. Just trying to illustrate why some guys spend more on gear, and not sound like a boob while doing so...

Posts: 2202 | From: behind fascist lines | Registered: Mar 2010  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters