The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » "Call shy" coyotes (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Author Topic: "Call shy" coyotes
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 02:43 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
You've got me wondering about something. Since you do not know me, how do you know I have a lack of calling experience, or you have more experience than I do? I would never assume such a thing if I was you.
I'm sure glad your trying to help me out here with all of your wisdom, but I'm not quite sure you are who I would choose to be mentored by. I bet it was hard to admit that even you make a mistake from time to time. I was beginning to get the feeling you were perfect the way you talk down to all of us stupid people who lack in knowlege compared to you.
How do you know there is always a coyote there when you are calling? Is it like the guy with a thermos who, when he puts in ice tea it stays cold, and when he puts in hot coffee it stays warm. Just how does that thermos know?

All I can go by is how I interpid youre post of what was said. I may be off base on some things but that can go both ways. I only talk down to those that want to keep playing stupid. I don't want to be anyones mentor just want to help a little if I can..

How do I know there is always a coyote there before I start calling.

1: I locate my coyotes while its still dark..

2: I spot coyotes mouseing around in a pasture or returning to there safe zone. Or ask a rancher if and where he see's them.

3: Fresh sign like tracks or scat and a understanding of the coyotes terr. and where they like to lay up for the day.

4: If calling cold I call as if there is one there and have a series of sounds I go though before I leave, I also try to get the coyote to howl if there is one around. I don't have a time limit for how long I stay on stand, if the weather is nice I just sit back and give them more time, I may also repete the series of sounds all over again just like i did with the coyote I mentioned above...

No I'm not perfect, I have good days and bad days like anyone else, I learn from my mistakes and learn how to correct them.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5064 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 02:51 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
they don't fear what they can't see.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last time I checked...I couldnt see my scent.

Well I see some of you are getting board so now we have to play the pick the sentence apart game.

Well if you set up youre stand properly to begin with you should'nt have to worry about the coyotes picking up youre scent. Right Shaw!!!!

--------------------

TundraWookie
Knows what it's all about
Member # 1044

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 03:05 PM      Profile for TundraWookie           Edit/Delete Post 
What do you really keep inside that bucket when you're out there calling Tim? Pixie dust? [Razz]
Posts: 857 | From: Alaska | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged
coyote down
Member # 2887

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 03:13 PM      Profile for coyote down   Email coyote down         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim

If someone asks a question about what you posted, does that make them stupid?

Posts: 32 | From: colorado | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
fgf4
unknown comic

Icon 14 posted December 15, 2010 03:19 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
This is a great thread...

I'm learning new things by the minute! I'm going to save this whole post to my files!!!! LOL

If a coyote is shy does it's face turn red when it hears a ecaller other than a WT? [Big Grin]

Are shy coyotes better lovers? [Razz]

Edited: to ask the important questions...

[ December 15, 2010, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Nikonut ]

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 03:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Wrong, niko. This is just pure entertainment. And, for free!

Good hunting. LB

We have a new player on board. Reads and participates, which I like to see. He's from Colorado and he displays his email address, always a plus. He seems to know stuff, writes with confidence, but does anybody know who he is? I dropped a hint, which he ignored, yet he doesn't miss anything Tim posts. I'm curious.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
coyote down
Member # 2887

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 03:40 PM      Profile for coyote down   Email coyote down         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard

I didn't ignore your hint. I sent you a email earlier today.

Posts: 32 | From: colorado | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 03:56 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If my health would allow it, my coyote numbers would far exceed yours. Why? Because I have forgotten more about coyotes than YOU will ever even LEARN.
Rich: Yes they should. You just happen to live in a area or closer to a area with higher coyote population. You have'nt been calling much longer than me so what was forgotten was'nt very much.. [Razz]

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 03:59 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If someone asks a question about what you posted, does that make them stupid?
Most times NO but then again it depends on who is asking.. [Wink]

--------------------

ursus21
2nd place, John Denver lookalike Contest
Member # 3556

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 04:25 PM      Profile for ursus21           Edit/Delete Post 
"I don't want to be anyones mentor just want to help a little if I can."

Well you can relax now because you certainly have met your goal of being of "little help". [Big Grin]

Posts: 780 | From: Montana | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 04:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
For those who have volunteered a guess as to who "coyote down" is; you are all wrong, including me. As it happens he and I have met at one of the big contests, he was kind enough to remind me of it. Thanks for the email!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 06:26 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim they can fear what they can't see! Meaning if they hear a coyote they better see one or some of those call shy coyotes won't come close at all.

The advantage of a decoy dog at certain times and the reason they come in agressive, they can see what they believe is a coyote.

If they warning bark and know something is over there why would a lone howl bring them running to that direction? Curious maybe, but they want to see a coyote. If one is not present then many times your left with a long shot or best leaving them be.

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 08:43 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Tim they can fear what they can't see! Meaning if they hear a coyote they better see one or some of those call shy coyotes won't come close at all.

Yes and no. Coyotes are pretty good at judgeing where the sound is comeing from and can pin-point it with-in 15-50 ft. of it source... Correct????? Now if the stand is set up so a coyote cannot see where the sound is comeing from it will have to move in closer to the caller or crest a nearby hill to look down to where the caller is. This is what I call a dead coyote... When I set up along a drainage I will have most of the high ground so I can see the approaching coyote first or have a nearby side hill thats with-in rifle range for any that want to just take a peak over the top to see whats there... Not all of my coyotes but most of them approach the caller head on or if they come in from the side they will move to the center of the sound cone and then look up. once again its a dead coyote... There is another way I bring these difficult coyotes in but I won't discuss it on the internet...

Here is a pic of one of my stands from last week. On this stand I had a 20 mph wind so I had to get down into the drainage that ran East and west and I called with the wind ( this type of stand was reconmended to me by a friend)which was out of the S-E. The coyote came into the stand just like I planned and I shot it just as it reached the far ice on the stock pond and was almost into my scent cone..

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/12-15-2010008.jpg[/IMG]]  -

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/12-15-2010006.jpg[/IMG]]  -

--------------------

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 08:49 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a two part vidio from my trip some may find interesting.. [URL=  - [/ URL]]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 10:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Who was it that said that you can't call coyotes to the road? I guess it depends on where you are and how you do it? As a matter of fact, I have called thousands of coyotes, (literally) to the road, and killed a fair share of them. I must be missing something?

Good hunting. LB

By the way, Tim. Calling in a bunch of deer is rather common, as well.

[ December 15, 2010, 10:30 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 15, 2010 11:03 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who was it that said that you can't call coyotes to the road? I guess it depends on where you are and how you do it? As a matter of fact, I have called thousands of coyotes, (literally) to the road, and killed a fair share of them. I must be missing something?

Good hunting. LB

By the way, Tim. Calling in a bunch of deer is rather common, as well.

Page 1 post 16

( maybe thats the problem people only remember the parts they want to and forget or ignor the rest of what is said)

Yes its pretty common to call deer or other critters into a stand.. The wife did'nt edit the deer part out so you got it as a added bonus. Kinda cool though...

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 01:10 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That would be our friend, coyote down. Well, I have checked his credentials and he's entitled to make a statement about roads representing danger to a coyote. As a general rule. But, he didn't say they can't be called to a road....except maybe Kansas?

Besides, he probably has no idea how I hunt, in this context, And, depending on how you define road and take it to mean near, within sight of a road and they frequently cross the road to get where I am. At night.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

6mm284
Member # 1129

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 03:39 AM      Profile for 6mm284           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,,He who speaks the most often knows the least. I try to avoid proving that.

[ December 16, 2010, 03:48 AM: Message edited by: 6mm284 ]

Posts: 198 | From: N46 06 E91 11 | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
4949shooter
SECOND PLACE HIGGINS (MAGNUM P.I.) LOOK A LIKE CONTEST
Member # 3530

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 03:48 AM      Profile for 4949shooter   Email 4949shooter         Edit/Delete Post 
Well Tim, at least we know you can call deer in. Heck, even I can do that in NJ! [Big Grin]

Well, whose to say you didn't kill that coyote someplace else and dragged it toward the highway and hung it on the fence??

Just kidding! [Razz] Good video. You wouldn't believe how different the areas we hunt are. Sometimes I can't see 20 yards ahead of me with all the brush.

Posts: 2274 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged
George Ackley
Member # 898

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 04:46 AM      Profile for George Ackley   Email George Ackley         Edit/Delete Post 
R.Shaw
no

Posts: 465 | From: PHILA . PA | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 12:02 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.............Interesting ride, this thread has become. [Eek!]

Tim;
I was yanking your chain a while back about volume & I think that due to the differences in the areas that we hunt, the point was lost. You're hunting some seriously open areas where if a little volume is good, a lot of volume must be great. I'm hunting much tighter cover where volume can be overdone, causing a coyote to hang up 50 or 75 yards out and not be seen or offer a shot op.

Different areas, different styles. If what you're doing works for you & you're having fun........go with it; but remember, what works for you might not be so great for someone else with different circumstances.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 12:57 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Youre proably right Koko. I know when I hunted with Rich and a few others in AZ. they liked to start off a stand with softer sounds.. I do the same here but I have the volume cranked up to get that softer sound out there a bit..

--------------------

Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 02:26 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
You were born in St. Olaf, MN correct? I believe that I recall Rose Nyland mentioning your name a time or two. They have dial phones up there now, or at least that is my understanding.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
coyote whacker
Member # 639

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 03:00 PM      Profile for coyote whacker           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim when you play a deer in distress there going to come, remember muley doe's are not very bright LOL. The most inquisitive deer there are, in fact howl down into a cedar draw and watch the tops of those ridges and see how many show themselves. Better yet play a fawn in distress in May and June and see what kind of reaction you get from them LOL.

I have found coyotes easier to call to a road if your placed in an area whjere they can't see the road to your location, but yep some will come close to the road, don't know if they fit the call shy montra though LOL.

Remember the young and dumb ones are the first to die!

[ December 16, 2010, 03:01 PM: Message edited by: coyote whacker ]

--------------------
This is done on my time and my dime. My views may differ from those of others!

Posts: 376 | From: USA | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted December 16, 2010 06:36 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep youre right about the deer comeing to a call.. White-tails will also show up pretty easey as well.. I just got two deer distress sounds on my WT last week and since I had a empty stand I wanted to try them out on the deer. [URL=[IMG]http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f208/TA17Rem/Wildlife/th_ BigBuck11_24_2009_175843.jpg[/IMG]][/URL]

quote:
Remember the young and dumb ones are the first to die!

Yes but it also depends on what age group you call to first. This last trip I only called in two pups with the rest being adults. 90% had to be tossed due to mange. [Frown]

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 11 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  9  10  11 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters