The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Locating or not locating before you hunt? (Page 5)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: Locating or not locating before you hunt?
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 01:56 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 02:16 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Randy, good job on the Iowa coyotes!

"Early fall till first snow was great, gets rough when the pickup boys are rollin, then dennin before the row crops got to tall was great again."

Your experience mirror mine, but we don't have alot of truck groups in my area, but notice a sharp drop off in responses as soon as the december gun seasons occur. But I like the challenge. [Big Grin] I'm lucky if I make 1 stand a week most weeks. But managed to get a coyotes in the scope Nov, Dec, Jan, and Mar. A mix of called and spotted and called. November was the best month, called/killed 2, spotted/called/killed 1, spotted/missed 1 (couldn't call him, he was one the way out, rushed shot, didn't adjust for wind, coyote ran right at me, gun jammed, etc, gun is fixed now, new extractor, what a time to fail...). I'm hoping for similar April and May, however, I'll be lucky if I get out two more times this month and May isn't looking much better... Oh well, I'm not overcalling anywhere, LOL! [Wink]

Fortunately my area isn't like TA's, south central Iowa has flat areas but more areas are rolling with lots of cover (which is where I concentrate my calling). I like calling it. Sneak in 1/4 mile into the section, be sure I'm not visible and the area I hope for a shot is not visible from the road, use the wind to my advantage, etc etc etc and start working the calls.

later,
scruffy

[ April 06, 2007, 02:21 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 05:06 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
RR

Sibley? Toad Smith(Otis) was probably before your time?

Although it's not, the picture looks abit like the Big Sioux River bluffs, NW of Fairview SD?

Greenside

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 06:35 PM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
TA: "I would like to see a coyote called in from my area. Can they be called in? I don't think so ,but hey it could happen."

TA, try that strategy I described to you. Make it easy for them. Let me know how it works.

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 06:53 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
[Razz]

[ March 28, 2010, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: TA17Rem ]

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5083 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
"It's Roede, like in Yotie
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 08:09 PM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Greenside- new Toad very well, before he got the in fisherman fame, doug stange of in fisherman was my 7th grade basketball coach, science teacher, also from sibley. Toad was a deputy before he got the outdoorsman fame, I know his two sons Elliot and John along with his wife Sue, I can't remember his daughters name? That little weezee laugh he had with his tougue out between his front teeth. Puttin wigglers in his eggs at a restaurant and callin back the waitress to complain. He was a HOOT. Toads Bait and Tackle right on highway 60!Good memories!!

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Posts: 669 | From: Pierre SD | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted April 06, 2007 08:44 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose must be the same historical figure? Sibley House was a sort of museum in a log cabin type of building, in Minneapolis, when I was a kid. I used to ice skake at Sibley Field and in Junior High school they held dances at that park. Never would have remembered the name if I had not just read it, above.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31489 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 06:14 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Randy R,

Yes. There are plenty of hills to set-up on a coyote after spotting it. These coyotes are reluctant to move in close on a call. Plenty of prey critters for them. Et this open rolling terrain, offer's them good hearing & a view.

Two Winter snowflys ago WC around -20 or colder. Wind rippin hard out of the NorWest. I went out spotting. I stopped on a gravel hill, scanning to my SouWest.
I seen two coyotes around the 1/2 mile. One bedded in a CRP patch[staring hard, to it's NorWest]. The other coyote was neandering Northbound along a hill fenceline to the bedded coyote's SouWest. I watched for awhile.

I slowly crept down the roadway another couple hundred yards, making my stalk plan[triangulating] their position. Took another quick view of the coyotes. Drove down the road another couple hundred yards & paused. Both coyotes seen me, but were indifferent. I move on down the road to cut around to their SouWest to go in on them. Soon, I see a Red 4x4 truck parked up ahead.

I knew it was a friend of mine out in the same section, I seen his tracks[he's a caller].

A minute or so later, he came trudging back towards his truck[beat, Red cold], I pulled-up by him. I asked, "see any". Reply, "Nope, none in there" [Confused] . I said, really! "your wrong, there's two in there" [Big Grin] .
We went back up the road, et I shown them to him.

Around here in my main hunt area. Coyotes, have never "charged" in[close, less than a couple hundred yards away]. Over in Tama County, I've had two come in running/loping. More cover, more coyotes.

[ April 07, 2007, 06:20 AM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 06:55 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey 2 dogs and greenside, on the cover of your Iowa hunting reg. book do you have a pic.of a youngman out hunting waterfowl?

--------------------
The only person dumber than the village idiot is the person who argues with him!

Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 07:06 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
Look familar?

- ar?

--------------------

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 08:05 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
RR

The same shit eating grin! He's on the cover of the Migratory Bird regulations and not the hunting regulations manual. In our youth, Doug and I were next door neighbors, and on occasion we still get together to hunt or fish. I know he had a real hard time when it came to spreading Toads' ashes on top of that big mound by Ocheyedan. Toad was probably the only man ever to have caught a catfish with a piece of his own heart!

LB, Sibley was the first govenor of MN.

Back on topic: I don't do much locating anymore, since most of my stands have a history. If I go somewhere new or if I'm trying to pull some out of standing corn in the summer I definitely still do locate because on those cornfield coyote you have to get really tight. I'm probably the same as most of you in that I'm always looking out for that "Coyote Shit Road"

Edit: In the early 90's, I was in my recreational howling stage. Never went any where without a howler. Went out a couple of evenings a week all year long and howled coyotes. That's when I really got a good handle on preferred cover and also seasonal movement. Another thing I'd do was disconnect my trucks rear left speaker and splice in a female speaker jack. Then plug in one of those big JS Style speakers and play a Sunrise Serenade tape at full blast, with the truck tape player set on rear left fade. That would make alot of noise. Lot's of howl backs

[ April 07, 2007, 12:24 PM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Randy Roede
Member # 1273

Icon 1 posted April 07, 2007 08:32 AM      Profile for Randy Roede   Email Randy Roede         Edit/Delete Post 
His dad, Ken Lonneman, is married to my niece.They came out a couple summers ago and we hunted.

Coach Stange got your but in shape and was one of the best teachers, mentors I ever had.All the respect in the world for Doug and Toad!!The legacy of Toad Smith lives on in Sibley!

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters