The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Eastern Coyotes (Page 8)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Eastern Coyotes
Hodgen
Knows what it's all about
Member # 180

Icon 1 posted February 21, 2005 02:45 PM      Profile for Hodgen   Email Hodgen         Edit/Delete Post 
For those interested, here are "supposed" preliminary results for the Mosquito creek contest. Participation seems substantially down. But looks like we are improving to about a "1 in 42" ratio this year.

I havn't heard any numbers as of yet concerning "numbers vs hounds/callers/hunters.

4373 registered hunters

102 Coyotes killed. Each guy got $107.18

First place 45.5 lbs $5,466.25

Second Place $3,279.75

Third place $2,186.50

Posts: 59 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dogwood Creek
PAKMAN
Member # 611

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2005 05:39 PM      Profile for Dogwood Creek   Author's Homepage   Email Dogwood Creek         Edit/Delete Post 
Those would appear to be the right numbers on the Mosquito Creek Hunt. I personally didn't do as good as the average. I had 2 visuals, worked 4 different coyotes, and killed 0. I have been hanging around over at Predator Masters but this looks like a fun place to be too. You guys are more fun to read along with than the 45 min. barking contest I had with one of those afore mentioned coyotes! I love the good natured kidding & all the information you can get on these forums. I hope to pick up a few pointers from time to time.
Posts: 5 | From: W.Central Pa. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2005 06:41 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome Mr. Creek, or may we call you Dogwood?
I'll be picking your brains about doing some videoing in Pa. this year.

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 12, 2005 10:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, dogwood. Glad to have you o board.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Dogwood Creek
PAKMAN
Member # 611

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2005 06:52 AM      Profile for Dogwood Creek   Author's Homepage   Email Dogwood Creek         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich & Leonard; Thanks for the welcome. Glad to be here.
Dogwood Creek
PAKMAN
Member # 611

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2005 07:19 AM      Profile for Dogwood Creek   Author's Homepage   Email Dogwood Creek         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich; If I can be of any help to you in regard to your video It would be my pleasure. I will tell you upfront it is tough hunting. Not so much the coyotes themselves, but the terrain and tresspass rights. I have about 10,000 acres of open hunting near my home and there are various other gamelands avail across the state. You will want to do as much scouting as possible before you committ to an area. If I can help I would be glad to.
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2005 02:49 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I appreciate the offer and I will certainly talk to you.
DJ in AZ
Member # 276

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2005 04:27 PM      Profile for DJ in AZ   Email DJ in AZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, after reading all eight pages of this thread , looks like these eastern dogs may call for some different tatics . Can't wait to give them a go!! Relocated up in N.E. Ohio and so far I hear there's a huntable population.

Hey Rich -- How did you do in the last couple of club hunts ?(sure miss the hell out of them hunts).

[ March 13, 2005, 04:32 PM: Message edited by: DJ in AZ ]

Posts: 42 | From: Glendale AZ | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2005 06:33 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Danny, good to hear from you. We took first place in the handgun hunt last month. We are the first team accused or suspected of cheating to hunt with a "judge". So it's a good thing we did all right. Ron Peebles was our judge. Really terrific guy. He has become a friend of ours since. We tied for second this month. Kelly and his team checked in before we did.
Brent Saxton invited you to call him and set up an Ohio hunt. You ought to do that. I've hunted with him and he's good company and sure knows those Ohio coyotes.

DJ in AZ
Member # 276

Icon 1 posted March 13, 2005 08:23 PM      Profile for DJ in AZ   Email DJ in AZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job Rich!!! You guys got best of seven locked up!! Congrat's to Tyler, Rob and you.
I'll give Brent a call. Would like very much to go calling with him here in Ohio.
Ron is a good guy,and I'm glad you got that bull sh$$ straightend out once and for all(hopefully).

[ March 13, 2005, 08:32 PM: Message edited by: DJ in AZ ]

Posts: 42 | From: Glendale AZ | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
TurkeyClucker
PAKMAN
Member # 613

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2005 08:04 PM      Profile for TurkeyClucker           Edit/Delete Post 
I too have had nothing but trouble out of getting coyotes to come to my calls here in the east. I have all but given up hope in the erea I hunt. I really just don't think they are there. However, I know of areas where they are quite abundant and the landowners want them out. Any suggestions on how to contact these folks and getting permission. My time is limited due ot the fact I am currently in school, away from these areas. So I will have to wait till the summertime to hunt.
Posts: 5 | From: West Virginia | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2005 08:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Really, if you want to kill a coyote, the best thing you can do is head west, and find some BLM land. Then, at least, you will know what worked for you, and you can apply it when you get home. If you are getting a few turkeys, seems like you know how to sit still and keep your eyes open? Something that is hard for some people to figure out, is recognizing what kind of cover holds coyotes.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2005 08:17 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
TurkeyClucker, I hear you, I too, have had nothing but trouble getting coyotes that aren't there to come in to my calls. [Smile]
Between now and Sept. is a great time to do some scouting, talk to farmers and other landowners, take a camera calling, or just observe these fascinating little guys and learn something more about them.

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2005 08:28 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the congrats, Danny. We should have a lock on the "Best of Seven" trophy, we took 4 firsts, 2 seconds and third.
I doubt that the BS is over with though.

Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted March 14, 2005 09:03 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Ant. Some of those old farmers are pretty sharp and if you approach them with a "could you help me learn a little bit about coyotes because it's something I'd really like to hunt" routine, they just may take you under their wing. Giving them the upper hand helps to boost their ego a bit. Don't come across like you are the expert and could do them a favor. Listening will be your biggest asset. Getting them to open up and tell you a story or two whether it's about coyotes or hunting pheasant can do wonders.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted March 15, 2005 01:49 AM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
TurkeyClucker....were are you at in wv? Im only about 20 min from Huntington Wv and about 45 Min from Charlston Wv.

DJ...I will be looking for that call!

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TurkeyClucker
PAKMAN
Member # 613

Icon 1 posted March 21, 2005 08:34 PM      Profile for TurkeyClucker           Edit/Delete Post 
keekee, Currently I live in Morgantown, I attend WVU. My homeplace is Dunbar, right otusdie of Charleston. We aren't too far away at all. Last weekend I was in a hog hunt in TN and a member of our hunting group got a coyote with his muzzleloader. He wasn't much more than 200 yards away from where I was. Almost got my first one.
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 01:42 AM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, Your about a Hr or so from me. I can be in Charlston in 45 min from my house. I hunt a little over there in Wv but to be strait up, there are not alot of coyotes down on this end of the state yet. I Turkey hunt over there every year and get over there a few time a year to call but its really no worth the effort. I got some friends and family over there, so when they want to go I try to get over there and call with them. They do have a fair population of bobcats though and some fox. Just dont see much coyote sign there at all. We get a couple a year there is about it. Seems there are pockets of coyotes and you just haft to find them.

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TurkeyClucker
PAKMAN
Member # 613

Icon 1 posted March 22, 2005 09:43 AM      Profile for TurkeyClucker           Edit/Delete Post 
Your exactly right. I do almost all of my hunting in Mason Co. and they just recently started to be a problem there. My area I hunt just doesn't have them thoough. Plenty of turkeys though, so it's just fine with me, I will travel for the yotes if I have to.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters