The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Scent / carnivores vs. vegetarians

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Scent / carnivores vs. vegetarians
Bud
Knows what it's all about
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2003 11:35 AM      Profile for Bud   Email Bud         Edit/Delete Post 
I probably shouldn't bring this up in public.

A while back I read an article in a magazine(not Mad) that talked about the difference in the odor of meat eaters and browser/grazers.

The author contended that a grazing animal could tell at a whiff if it was in proximity of a creature that ate flesh. It didn't have to see it to know there was danger.

He followed with the suggestion that we(hunters) should abstain from flesh(the eating of) for a period (week-month ? I don't remember) prior to hunting. We would then smell like grazers, a non-threat. His credentials resembled an alphabet soup in animal bioligy from a university in Texas.

Being the bright person that I am I tried it. And tried it. And tried it. I was raised on meat. How the devil do vegetarians do it? I guess I'll just eat meat and smell funny. [Razz]

All kidding aside, has anyone ever heard of this?

Bud the carnivore

[ February 01, 2003, 11:38 AM: Message edited by: Bud ]

Posts: 19 | From: OR | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2003 12:48 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I've always heard that the word, Vegetarian comes from an old indian word meaning, "poor hunter". Can you shed some light on that, Bud?

I think the theory is pure junk science. Carnivores are well up the food chain, they must be doing something right....and historically, I don't think going without eating flesh entered into many hunt plans.

We may find that this guy with the theory is a card carrying member of PETA.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2003 12:55 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Bud, when Ishi, the last of the Yana tribe, lived at the U of C Anthropology Museum, under the guardianship of Dr. Saxton Pope,(of Pope and Young fame) he described the Yahi or Yana method of deer hunting as a highly stylized ritual that including abstaining from meat for 3 days prior to the hunt to purge the carnivore odor from the body. "Ishi, the Last Wild Indian in America". Interesting book.
IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2003 01:04 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
An after thought, but on the same subject. I read once that Japanese prisoners of war in the Philippines, some of whom had subsisted on rice for several years, described their American liberators as smelling like a butcher shop.
IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2003 04:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
There has to be some truth to different races smelling differently, besides diet. A dog can make the distinction, easily.

Not to offend our Korean friends, but for example, they usually have a strong garlic odor, and locker rooms have smells that seem "foreign" to some people.

I also had an acquaintance that claimed his feces smelled much worse when he ate meat? Well, that's his problem, I view a double burger as not much of a handicap.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barry
Member # 34

Icon 1 posted February 01, 2003 04:44 PM      Profile for Barry   Email Barry         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this mean no Taco bell before hunting?Makes the wall paper peal off the wall. [Big Grin]
Posts: 133 | From: Trinidad CO. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bud
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2003 12:30 PM      Profile for Bud   Email Bud         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Leonard,

Injun word for "poor hunter" is Kemo-Sabe. Piss-poor hunter wear mask, hide face in shame. Horse stupid too, wear white camo in summer. I have spoken.

Bud

Posts: 19 | From: OR | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
John
Member # 52

Icon 12 posted February 02, 2003 03:36 PM      Profile for John   Email John         Edit/Delete Post 
And Bud not speak with forked tongue!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------
John.

Posts: 14 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted February 02, 2003 07:17 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here tried regular taking chlorophyll tablets available at many pharmacies? I've got a number of bowhunting buddies that use this to neutralize body odor. People with colostomies take it to help reduce the odor of their waste, thus making it easier for them to change out their colostomy bags. Not a real over-the-dining-room-table type of topic, but an option nonetheless for anyone who experiences a lot of odor problems. Also, studies have proven that ingesting beer and/or spicy foods the night before a hunt will cause your body to effuse more odor the next day with sweat and so forth. Betcha Taco Bell fits in there somewhere, huh?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters