The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » where do we draw the line at long shots

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: where do we draw the line at long shots
20t-n-t
Knows what it's all about
Member # 46

Icon 1 posted February 05, 2003 11:18 PM      Profile for 20t-n-t   Email 20t-n-t         Edit/Delete Post 
I have seen and heard about people takeing very long shots. Hell I've even taken some very long shots, out past 450 to 500 with minnamal success, around 25%. Over the years I have develouped a sence of whats doable by me, but I have read where guys are telling someone that they have made 700 yard shots consistantly in the field/ under hunting situations. maybe so, not me.

I feel comfortable takeing shots at 400 maybe 450 if everything is right, but thats just me.

What about you? Whats your comfort zone and why? How far will you shoot at a coyote?

Thanks for the imput in advance.

Hunt smarter and Smote the Yote
20t-n-t

--------------------
Teach a kid to hunt and fish and feed them for a lifetime......

Posts: 245 | From: Boise Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
pup
Member # 90

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 08:10 AM      Profile for pup           Edit/Delete Post 
20t-n-t-

I think that you have the concept down. It is what you feel comfortable with. With my 25-06, I feel comfortable out to 450. With my 22-250, and 223, it is around 300, and when I take my .22 mag I limit myself to 75yds.

It is rare me to have to shoot over 150. Normally the dogs come inside that range. Better camoflauge and confusion scent has lessened the distance even more.

Just my thoughts

later pup

Posts: 213 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 09:22 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, before we advocate, we need to make sure that there are conditions.

For instance, when shooting at night, the animal has to be extremely well marked, or I won't risk it, or waste the time. The return "plop" give a lot of incentive, but I like to have the animal pinpointed by both hunters before touching it off.

You need to do your homework. If 400 yards is doable, then learn to recognize that distance. Whatever your personal limitations, do a little range work so that you are sure. I don't like the "what the hell" it's only a coyote, attitude. Every time I shoot, it's with a (somewhat) realistic expectation of success.

There are other conditions to consider, such as wind, and the slope of the land, extreme temperatures that degrade performance, etc.

For 400 yard shots, I don't think twice, if I have the right gun in my hands. When it gets out to 500, there is a sober decision making process that I use, it isn't automatic.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 01:28 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
On a calling stand I USUALLY don't take many shots out past 300 yards I feel pretty comfortable from 0-300 but not much further.GOOD HUNTING Chad......
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Maineiac
Member # 21

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 02:57 PM      Profile for Maineiac   Email Maineiac         Edit/Delete Post 
With a range finder, gun and reasonable practice at the range at distance and learning to dope the wind. You will find you limits with each gun that you own. It is a painstaking process but you will find your limits for the situations that you hunt in. Practiceing in the conditions that you hunt in is the key, cold, heat, rain, wind, daylight, night, distance all plays variables in shot placment.
Posts: 129 | From: Maine | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 03:54 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
varmit hunter has to post his numbers, and whatever they are I will believe it.
IP: Logged
Bud
Member # 4

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 05:13 PM      Profile for Bud   Email Bud         Edit/Delete Post 
In this case I am definitely a minority of one. I don't think I have ever, in over 40 years of hunting, taken a shot over 300yds.. Most were well under a hundred.

I have nothing against others taking long shots if they are capable. I'm pretty sure I'm not. Four hundred plus is Gawdawfull to me. I'm a pretty fair hand at getting close(years of bowhunting I suppose) so I don't feel handicapped.

If I went out with one of you guys I could be gun bearer. Watching is cool too. [Razz]

Bud

Posts: 19 | From: OR | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Terry Hunter
Member # 58

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 05:36 PM      Profile for Terry Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
About 75% of my shots are 150 yards or less.The remainder are about 300 yards or less.
Posts: 132 | From: N. Middle Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
moses man
Member # 76

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 07:39 PM      Profile for moses man   Email moses man         Edit/Delete Post 
last year after spending many rounds at the range with my 25-06 and nightforce scope i shot a coyote at 639 yrds . ( lucky shot). I usually call with a 223 . and dont miss many but . I dont ever shoot at a coyote over 200 yrds away . I just dont feel good about it . I hate tracking a wounded coyote , it takes up to much time . Most of my coyotes are harvested at 50 yrds or less . The country i call is pretty well covered in sage . Its not to thick , and its not real open . I guess i have a great area to call in . There are alot of thick areas , and one of these days im going to try the ladder thing . ( just have not worked up the courage to pack a ladder into the sage yet, im afraid someone will see me ) LOL. I have a friend that i call with from time to time , he can harvest the hang ups rather well . I just dont do it myself . J .

--------------------
Why dont they ever just come straight in ??

Posts: 26 | From: wash state | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
John
Member # 52

Icon 6 posted February 06, 2003 08:15 PM      Profile for John   Email John         Edit/Delete Post 
If I can't call em' in to 200yds or under, I let them go. I also shoot a 25-06 custom built that groups 3 shots 1.125" @ 200, but I don't feel comfortable having to hold 1 to 5.5 feet over a critter to bust them, then having to walk that distance to look for them. [Wink]
Hell, at my age, if I popped a coyote at 600 yds and had to walk that distance to get em', I'd probably get about half way there and forget what I was goin' after. [Confused] [Confused] Don't like to let them get any closer than 40 or 50 yds either.
It's past my bedtime.I'm going huntin' in the morning.
G'night ya'll.
John

--------------------
John.

Posts: 14 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 08:24 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
250 yards.

Anything beyond that might as well be 1,000 yards because I can't judge distance beyond 250 yds.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
20t-n-t
Member # 46

Icon 1 posted February 06, 2003 09:20 PM      Profile for 20t-n-t   Email 20t-n-t         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for your input gentelmen. Glad to see we all are close on this one. I'm going out on a limb here, when I say that most of the coyotes killed by hunters here are shot at under 100 yards, I know that at least 85% of my coyotes are shot at 100 or less.

I think its my experiance shooting chucks and badger on the flats that has helped me to feel confident at 450. I think that knowing your gun helps. I have found some 40 grain bullets I'm giong to load up for the Tact20. Can't wait to see what they will do.

Once again thanks everybody for your thoughts

Smote the Yote
20t-n-t

[ February 06, 2003, 09:22 PM: Message edited by: 20t-n-t ]

--------------------
Teach a kid to hunt and fish and feed them for a lifetime......

Posts: 245 | From: Boise Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2003 04:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it would help to explain what goes on for me to consider popping an animal at extended range. I would think there must be others that recognize the circumstances, and deal with it?

It goes without saying that the object is to let them come in to a certain point, one hundred yards is a good working number. But, what about the second animal? He might possibly have observed the kill, or heard associated sounds, and while he may not leave right away, the chances are remote that he is going to come any closer. What do you do with him?

There are times when a pair come in together, a shot is fired and a single lights out in afterburner. Since he may not know what happened, or where you are located, he may stop and wait for his mate to join him. What are you going to do with this scenario?

Your partner dumped one and is retrieving it, and while kicking back, you notice a coyote that is in the clear, and is watching your partner drag the dead one. He's intent on the action, not paying you any mind, not moving and not in a hurry to leave, but he's beyond normal shooting distances. What are you going to do, assuming you have plenty of time, and a steady rest?

Four coyotes are coming to the call at a fast walk. You bust the closest or the biggest, or the last one, and then look for targets of opportunity. After a couple shots, your next one may be a little more of a challenge, but still makable. Do you let him go, or line it up?

These, and similiar situations occur on practically every hunt. I have learned to deal with those that are possible, and have the right gear for the task.

My normal calling produces killing shots at average distances, just like everybody else. At least on the first animal. It is the deviation from normal that I speak of, the shot that may be twice the distance, but where I have a clear view and enough time. In a word, confidence in my ability to make the shot.

Truthfully, I think that I miss close shots and long shots; at roughly the same percentage, and it's not a large number. I like to think that I'm not flinging lead all over the place. I'm a disiplined shooter, generally avoiding all but the high percentage shot.

Jeeze, what an ego!

Well, believe me; that's NOT really my attitude. I just know my abilities and what's possible.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2003 08:09 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't draw any lines at all. Circumstances are just too varied to have any hard fast rules, or lines. A couple of you guys have already pointed out one situation where I might not take a long shot, because of the potential for wasting time. But under different circumstances, I might take that same shot. It just depends.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ok .257
PAKMAN
Member # 92

Icon 1 posted February 07, 2003 04:58 PM      Profile for Ok .257           Edit/Delete Post 
as always i have to ditto my pard pup.
but these words of his we get from a guy with a 442yd kill. i saw it with my own eyes.

caliber, bullet weight/speed, comfort, and wind(direction,speed)
all play a role.

but when in doubt-burn powder.

just kidding-be safe.

--------------------
Okie lookn 4 fur

Posts: 8 | From: seminole, ok | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters