The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Cannibalism

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Cannibalism
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 09:21 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Coyotes kill and eat small dogs. It happens frequently here in Az. It happens in Connecticut... Kathy Lee Gifford's Pom. In Calif....The Osbornes lap lunch. I've read several accounts of coyotes eating other coyotes, dead coyotes in traps, live coyotes in traps. Feasting, along with other scavengers, on skinned coyote carcasses dumped by trappers. Even an account of cototes killing and eating wounded coyotes. I have never seen this behavior. Have any of you personally seen this?
IP: Logged
RayG
Knows what it's all about
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 11:24 AM      Profile for RayG   Email RayG         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

I have seen it once. We shot a coyote near a dump at night and couldn't find it. Returned after daylight and figured we would be able to find it with crows or ravens pecking at it. What we found was a pair of coyotes eating at it with ravens all around waiting their turn. We took both coyotes and saw another leaving the area that we had not seen previously. Eastern CA near NV border, 1999.

--------------------
RG

If you don't vote, don't offer your opinions about the outcome.

Posts: 34 | From: Corvallis, MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 03:41 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to doubt it, because I was hunting areas of low density, and I could easily locate carcases I had dumped months before.

But, protein's protein. I have seen many examples of cannibalism since. It's not a slam dunk, sometimes it happens, and sometimes it doesn't. Very puzzling.

I have had dead coyotes drug off from a stand, at night. Now, that's hard to believe! I found one that was dragged at least fifty yards, wasn't eaten, but the tracks and drag marks were all there.

Once I left a coyote in the middle of a two track, where I couldn't miss locating it as I reached the dead-end and turned around to get out of the area. That coyote was completely gone, two hours later. And, if you're thinking that maybe it wasn't dead, forget that. That animal was recovered from way out, and brought back to the road. It was deader than a doornail....big hole.

And, another time, I went to considerable effort to drop a coyote right down the middle of a huge ocatillo, where even the ravens would have to work for it. Next day it was gone, not even fur? Birds wouldn't have done that.

I'm pretty well convinced that under the right conditions, they will eat their own.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 04:18 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, this one makes me think. I have never seen a coyote eat another coyote but I have seen them drug off like Leonard has. I believe Ray G when he says he seen it, I just never have. Us old CVCA or CSVCA members got to stick together lol.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
WhiteMtnCur
Member # 5

Icon 1 posted August 06, 2003 05:28 PM      Profile for WhiteMtnCur   Author's Homepage   Email WhiteMtnCur         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen coyotes cannibalize a number of times. Like Leonard said, in areas of low density I've seen coyote carcasses lay all winter and melt the next spring. But I have other areas where I dump skinned coyote carcasses and they get cleaned up extremely fast.

As far as I can tell, the coyotes that I've lost in traps have all been killed by mountain lions and not other coyotes. I'm not saying it couldn't happen, I just haven't seen it.

Interesting side note: I have an old cow skeleton where I dump coyote carcasses. I added a few raccoons once and to this day they've not been touched. Everything else has been cleaned up, but the coons have gone untouched. A caller 50 miles east swears by coon carcasses as bait. Go figure.

Posts: 97 | From: Nevada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters