The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » What makes a good hunt? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What makes a good hunt?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 5 posted August 08, 2003 09:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What sort of criteria. Numbers? Anything at all. What usually ruins your hunt? Disagreements? Think back, what stands out?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Barry
Knows what it's all about
Member # 34

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 09:38 PM      Profile for Barry   Email Barry         Edit/Delete Post 
A good hunt is just being able to go with no time limits attached.I expect to at least see a coyote every other stand.But that doesnt make much diffrence if theres other wildlife available to watch.Bald eagles,badgers,foxs,deer,owls,you name it.A fresh set of lion tracks always makes for a good day,espically if they crossed your path while you were on stand.No wind,at least very little helps you keep up your enthusiam.I really need to smell the sucess to confirm the days events.I know,they stink.But its a good stink.A bad day is one that doesnt happen often.For that Im thankful.On the way to the first stand you slip and stick your barrel 6in in the mud.Then you realize you didnt bring a rod.When you walk to your stand and all the cows start following you like your the alfalfa god,and they wont leave.A pissed off bull can make for a bad day.Like Im after his heffers. [Big Grin] Back to back missed shots can make you angry when it happends.Sure every now its going to happen.Loosing your truck keys is a no-no.Where I hunt you have to walk a long ways to find a phone.I guess they're all good hunts,as long as nothing goes wrong.
Posts: 133 | From: Trinidad CO. | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted August 08, 2003 10:19 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
For me it is a good hunt as long as I don’t have to fix anything when I get home or TO GET home. I would rather not talk shop. I’m out there to escape that kind of thing. Numbers don’t mean a whole lot to me, but seeing coyotes and other wildlife is a plus. Even the few hunts that we talked shop most of the trip were better than the day before when I was at work. [Big Grin]
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2003 04:21 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, being by myself, seeing lots of wildlife, watching their reactions, listening to a coyote at least bark, no time limit. Coming home with more stories to share.

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2003 07:50 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
A good hunt is when I don't have to call the insurance company when I get home.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2003 08:55 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My needs are few; huntable weather and an unreasonable fear of being skunked. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2003 10:17 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
For me the next best thing to a great day of calling is a bad day of calling. As long as nobody got seriously hurt and the vehicle didn't get stuck too bad or break down too far from pavement, it will have been a good day.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2003 10:39 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
For me, a good hunt can be best defined by the quality of the experience. Within much of the European hunting society - the gentlemen hunters -you'll hear the same question asked as huntsmen return from a day afield. "How was your hunt?" It's the answer that sets them apart from many of us American hunters, because the notability of the day has nothing to do with how full the creel or gamebag is. Rather, it has everything to do with the quality of the experience. Despite the events of the day, did you enjoy yourself? There have been many times when I missed a gimme shot, be it calling or bowhunting or whatever, yet, the fact that I called or ambushed the critter in question makes for a great memory. Since learning about the gentlemen's way of regarding the day in the field, I've made the conscious effort to gauge my value of the day just spent based upon the memories acquired and what happened to me, rather than how many things I dragged home with me in the back of the truck. If nothing else, it makes the unfruitful days a bit easier to swallow.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2003 10:43 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
When the positives outweigh the negatives, it's a good hunt. The companionship of a like minded hunter is a big positive. Calling with Tyler is always a big positive. Seeing any kind of coyote behavior, learning anything is a big positive. Just being outdoors and enjoying this beautiful country is a positive. The rough edges of the negatives can be rounded off with a little humor. I've been trying, but I honestly cannot remember a bad hunt
IP: Logged
Hodgen
Member # 180

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2003 10:56 AM      Profile for Hodgen   Email Hodgen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The rough edges of the negatives can be rounded off with a little humor. I've been trying, but I honestly cannot remember a bad hunt
That statement sums things up pretty well Rich.
Sometimes, some sort of train wreck makes a hunt.
As long as everyone gets home in one peice, all is well.

Some good buddies, a few critters, lots of laughs.
Who could ask for anything more.... [Confused]

Posts: 59 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2003 11:25 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps there are several levels of consciousness?

There is an immediate satisfaction and relief, a conclusion. Then when you file away the routine with the exceptional, there is equal room for the good and the bad. Some of my most amusing and pleasurable thoughts come from recalling what I thought of initially as a "bad" hunt. Of course the hunts where good things happened make for a satisfactory reminisce, but so do those where nothing went right.

The normal has a place, a day afield is always better than the alternative. They are all good, I just wondered what special circumstances, positive or negative contributed to your sense of satisfaction.

edit: May we hear more? Some specific examples; while I ponder my decision to run for Governor.

Good hunting. LB

[ August 09, 2003, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2003 02:08 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I can think of one 'specific' with both positives and negatives. Around 1980 I drove down to Cedar Fort, Ut. I pulled my 3/4 ton 2wd pickup off the 2 track about 50 yards. Walked over a ridge and called a really nice male coyote in. The way he approached through the snow covered sage, the color and thickness of his long fur are still memorable. I shot him with my Mini14, skinned him on the spot and spent the rest of the morning jumpshooting jackrabbits. As the morning warmed up and the snow began to melt, water would accumulate in the low areas and the jacks running through the little ponds would make roostertail wakes like hydroplane race boats. About noon I made it back to the truck and found that the frozen crust it was parked on had melted and the truck was resting on the frame. It took four hours with the shovel and hi-lift jack to get to a rocky area next to the road. I got the truck reved up and bouncing and sliding over the rocks and onto the two track. During the bouncing a gawdawful noise started up in the engine compartment. As soon as I was on solid footing I stopped, opened the hood and found that the battery had bounced out of it's pan and into the fan . Just the posts were left still attatched to the terminals. 10 miles from pavement. As I checked things out under the hood the fan sprayed me down with battery acid. My glasses kept it out of my eyes. I washed my face in a mudhole. Made it back into Salt Lake without the truck dieing. Stopped at Checker first for a new battery. Went home and washed my clothes . My shirt and thermal top fell apart in the washer. The memories are all enjoyable now, though I doubt I would have thought so during the 4 hours I spent wallowing in cold mud digging myself out wondering if I was going to walk 10 miles to the road. I don't remember thinking of it as anything but another hunting experience. I've had simlar things happen several times over the years but always with hunting buddies which gives everything a different perception.
IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted August 09, 2003 10:55 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Rather than copy and paste I will post a link. I will never forget this day but sadly I have repeated the mistake since. [Smile]

http://www.coldnosed.com/Loaded%20Legal.htm

Rich I was out Ceadar Fort way a few weeks back. The coyotes are pretty quiet. Saw an antelope and nearly hit her fawn though.

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2003 11:49 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Super Bowl Sunday, 1998. Got my pickup ('74 Chev 3/4 2x4) stuck in the mud before ever stepping out to make a stand. Gave up on getting myself out after a couple hours. Walked 12 miles back to pavement, and several miles up the road before anyone would stop to give me a ride into Tooele. Well after dark by that time. Started making phone calls. Try finding a buddy sober and awake enough late Super Bowl Sunday to come save your ass in a situation like that... Lucky for me, my partner Tim doesn't drink, and I was able to track him down. About 2am when I finally made it home.

That was a pretty negative day...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2003 12:01 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, my question, Dave. What was your decision on the guns? Do you leave them at risk, "locked up"? Sometimes it's amazing how quick vandals recognize an unattended and vulnerable vehicle.

Or, do you carry them twelve miles, and then try to get a ride, with that kind of liability in your hands?

I've been in that situation. Of course, that was pre-cell phones.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Hodgen
Member # 180

Icon 6 posted August 10, 2003 01:10 PM      Profile for Hodgen   Email Hodgen         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if this fits in to what you asked Leonard, but since I travel alot with my rifles, they are exposed to "risk" most of the time.

Airports, airplanes, unattended in motels and rental cars, and a few other precarious places.

What I have done is taken an extra "rider" (sp?) on my home owners insurance policy. This covers lost, stolen, or damage to the rifles I have listed. It's full replacement value and no duductable or depreciation. This costs me $2 per $100 value a year. I currently carry $1500 so it's $30 a year. If I opt to take a different rifle/rifles on a trip, I just call my insurance man, and drop the current rifle listed, and add the one I am taking. Currently I have my 17 Rem/Leupold scope listed for $1000 and my 77/22 mag/Tasco scope for $500.

So whether someone steals it, or I accidently back over it with a truck, it's covered 100% so I have peace of mind when traveling.

Posts: 59 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2003 02:06 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
That's ALWAYS the concern in those situations Leonard, as I'm sure you well know. That old truck, for practical purposes, couldn't be locked up either. Agonized over it, but finally just left the rifles in the truck. It was just enough off the beaten path that I considered it unlikely for anyone to come across it before I could get back. Which proved to be the case.

In other instances, I've decided to stay with the rig rather than walk, or two of us have split up, or even times kept driving the truck when it REALLY needed to be parked (flat tires, overheating, making horrendous grinding noises from the tranny etc...), because of not wanting to leave the rifles though.

- DAA

--------------------

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2003 07:40 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Been in that fix more times than I like to think about. I always hide the rifles, Cameras etc.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Wiley E
Member # 108

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2003 05:35 AM      Profile for Wiley E   Email Wiley E         Edit/Delete Post 
At this stage Leonard I probably get more out of seeing and exploring new country than anything else. Helping some young fella call in and kill a coyote is rewarding. Breaking or equaling a previous daily record. Calling in multiples with a good partner and being synchronized enough to kill all of them as if in one fluid motion. Satisfaction is achieved in different ways than it used to.

~SH~

Posts: 853 | From: Kadoka, S.D | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2003 07:06 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
What makes a good hunt? On the way out, my partner asks if I'd teach him how to skin a coyote. I'm willing to give him all the practice he can handle. John-Henry made the mistake a couple of years ago of telling me he'd skin any coyote I didn't want to. I think I've given him well over two hundred coyotes since then.

About the only thing I can think of that makes me feel bad about a hunt, is reaching under the seat and finding the zip-lock bag holding the toilet paper, is full of water. [Mad] I really hate that.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted August 11, 2003 03:39 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, that's why they have sleeves on Tee shirts. See, humans are almost as resourceful as coyotes. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2003 05:34 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
A good hunt is one you'll remember 30 or 40 years later.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2003 06:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, Danny. You tell me, was this a good hunt, or a bad hunt?

Black Rock Desert, around where they have the burning man thing, now a days. It was me and Pat McGee, and we had this idea to save time by hanging the tailgate at half mast on his utility bed, and just toss the animals on the door and letting them drape over each other. That way, we could harvest them, pile them up, and go get another one.

Come morning, we had somehow(?) lost five coyotes, but still had seventeen, and one cat; good enough for second place.

I remember it well, though it was probably
thirty-some years ago. So, that makes it a good hunt, right? But, we lost, and needlessly.

Okay, it was still a good hunt, but [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2003 07:06 PM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
What makes a good hunt?

Something you'll laugh and/or brag about for years.

My most memorable hunt in the last few years involved a guy with a bit of gray in his beard who flat-out blew a broadside 100 yd. shot and a coyote who had no idea where it came from and ran the wrong way, got shot at and missed at about fifteen yards, and then got folded up by a guy(kid) who shot his first called coyote with both of them on the run. The range between them a smokin 80 yards.
It does my heart some good to repeat that story amoung the locals... what I wouldn't give to be that kid that made the running shot...

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
TrapperDan
Member # 124

Icon 1 posted August 11, 2003 07:21 PM      Profile for TrapperDan           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok , to me a good hunt is knowing my son or daughter had a good time in the woods that day . It isnt always the kill that makes the hunt a success .
Posts: 15 | From: Mi. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters