The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » threat-bark howl

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: threat-bark howl
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2003 04:20 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
My partner and I were hunting the sage-brush foot hills between a mountain, and some farmland. We were set up in a drainage that was about 30’ deep and 40 to 50 yards across, with gentle sloping sides. The wind was coming out of the south I was responsible for the east 180 deg. and my partner the west. We sat down about half way between the top and the bottom of the north slope. I expected the coyotes to either come up or down the wash on their approach. After about my third series on my favorite PREDATR call, I heard a textbook threat-bark howl, and it was close. I slowly turned my head in that direction. He was standing on the south edge of the drainage, roughly 30-40 yards away! Then he did it again! Until today I have never seen a coyote howl. He stood there with his ears pinned back, and his back was straight. The bark seemed to start at his tail and his nose only rose slightly during the howl. I sat there in awe, wondering what to do next, and then he resumed his approach! I sat there in disbelief as he closed the distance to 15 yards, while trying to communicate to my partner telepathically to SHOOT HIM! We regained our composure and got the job done, but seeing and hearing that was a thrill in its self.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2003 06:52 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan. I would have gave a speckled puppy, And two cases of shells to have been there with you.

While we Texans are noted for our big mouths. Our Coyotes are just the opposite. Other than the standard group howl, That's it. These suckers wont sound off. If you shot one through the paw with a nail gun.

Thanks for sharing that one.

Ronnie.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 17, 2003 08:39 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, Bryan, what you experienced was a rare thing; at least as described.

I have only had a similiar occurance once, in over 35 odd years while hunting predators.

It was morning, and we were right in the middle of a mesquite choked wash, primarily for shade, while we repaired some damage done during the night.

At some point, a big boss dog started scolding us from what sounded like he was pissing on the tires! I figured where he was, immediately, and as it was impossible to see anything in that direction, due to the heavy cover, I climbed into the truck and peered over the top of the roof, and there he was! He was so upset that he didn't see me, whereupon I ducked back down, and grabbed iron. He never saw it coming.

It might be true, what they say? They never look up.

Good hunting. LB

edit: hey Ronnie, good to hear from you, hope you are feeling better!

[ November 17, 2003, 08:42 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
John
Member # 52

Icon 7 posted November 17, 2003 06:01 PM      Profile for John   Email John         Edit/Delete Post 
Late last season, Wally (25 year hunting pard) and I, while setting on a pond dam at dusk and combo calling, had a triple respond.At 80 yds the Old female repeatedly barked and howled at us. All the while paceing back and forth amongest the timber followed by the other two coyote.The other two coyote never did join in vocalizing but only followed in pacing. After a minute or two of "shouting back and forth", a shot from my 25-06 put the old girl down. The others ran off.
At no time did Wally or I attempt freeze our movements. I was barking back and raising my gun while Wally kept right on calling.(Tally-Ho)
Inspection showed she was an older coyote. 3 maybe 4 years with a few battle scars on her head and nose. Estimated wgt 35 to 38 lbs.
Never before had we ever been so vigorously challenged.
John

[ November 17, 2003, 06:04 PM: Message edited by: John ]

--------------------
John.

Posts: 14 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
pup
Member # 90

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 07:04 AM      Profile for pup           Edit/Delete Post 
BryanJ,

Was this a male or female?, and what was the age (roundabout)?

thanks pup

Posts: 213 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 05:03 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan
Cool tale. You hear everyone say the same thing about that threat bark howl... "You'll know it when you hear it." Y'did, din't ya? First one I ever got to hear was one night when I was running my hounds for coons. Kirk Woods had told me that the best way to fix the packs of pups common in the area from harassing our cast of hounds was to threat bark at 'em. Well, long story less long, the coyotes came in behind our dogs raising all manner of hell and I was just about to let'er fly when someone else did just a few yards away. I cranked up my headlamp and there stood a big male coyote. He howled again, the other coyotes broke off and I got a bright idea. I put howler to lip and threat barked him at that thirty yards or so. Not a great idea. He retorted with an aggressive posture and loud, screaming bark howls. "Pissed" would be an understatement. It was "running" season only and we couldn't carry a gun, so all we could do was, well, leave. That coyote followed us at ten paces behind the entire way out of that section giving us the red ass all the way. After you hear it at that short of a distance for twenty or twenty-five minutes, you learn it very, very well. In any event, it's an awesome sound to hear, and even mroeso to know what it means. Again, great story.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted November 18, 2003 09:33 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Pup, this was a male coyote. As far as age goes, I can only guess that he was at least in his second year. He was one of the larger coyotes I have taken we got tired of packing him and skinned him before we got back to the truck. His teeth were not broken and none that I could tell were missing. He did have some scarring on his muzzle, but that is all my untrained eye really picked up on.

John, Leonard, and Cdog, great stories, thanks for sharing them.

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2003 11:19 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
When they get it in their head that they want the critter causing the disturbance out of their neighborhood it is sometimes hard to change their minds. I've had them ten feet in front of me bawling like a calf. I've had a female in front of me so wound up that her feet would come off the ground when she would bark and scream at me. Like Lance said sometimes they don't want to break it off when you do and they will follow us back to the truck squalling at us. Next time you get one in front of you up close, growl and then bark at it. It sets off an hysterical tirade that is so entertaining that you will start taking a camera with you because it's too good not to share with your friends. Be careful though Bryan, this can become so addicting that your rifle will start gathering dust. [Wink]
IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2003 10:47 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Rich, I know what you mean about being addicting just that little taste has me craving more! So I was just a growl and a bark away from one of those in your face tantrums you talk about? @#$*!!!
Crow Woman
Member # 157

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2003 12:56 AM      Profile for Crow Woman   Email Crow Woman         Edit/Delete Post 
hehehe... I see that ole baited hook starting to dangle in Bryan's face now [Eek!]

[Big Grin] You have been having too much fun out there Bryan [Mad]

[Big Grin] [Wink] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Sheri L Baity

Lord, Please give me peace, because if you give me strength, I might beat someone to death!

Posts: 687 | From: Covington | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 09:29 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Sheri, How dose that song go? “Too much fun whats that mean… “ you have no idea how bad I have this calling bug. My friends think I’m whacked, and my family knows it! [Big Grin]

I gave the picture thing a try, and more or less ended up with a picture of a bunch of brush, some mountains in the background and if you look really close you can see a white dot with two smaller dots above it. I haven’t given up. Might need to drop some coin on a better camera.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters