The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Stools for stands (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Stools for stands
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 09:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What seems to be a good, all around height? Do you have a back support? At what point do you need shooting sticks? Describe your technique and apparatus for us. And thanks for replying.

Good hunting. LB

edited for spelling

[ November 22, 2003, 09:59 AM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 12:48 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Deja vu. There is another thread around here very similar to this one. This one seems nicer somehow so I will answer your question here.
Personally I like a stool that is black in color, very light in weight and stands about--ummm- help me out here, Leonard. You would know more about the stool than I do cause it's your's. [Big Grin] You left it here the first of Sept. I brought it with me last week to the hunt and it never made it into your luggage again. Nice stool. Think I'll use it this afternoon calling with my B-in-L. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

IP: Logged
Norm in SD
PAKMAN
Member # 248

Icon 6 posted November 22, 2003 02:15 PM      Profile for Norm in SD   Email Norm in SD         Edit/Delete Post 

[ November 22, 2003, 04:34 PM: Message edited by: Norm in SD ]

--------------------
Norm

Posts: 9 | From: South Dakota | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 02:52 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I assumed(I know thats a bad thing to do) that most stools were of the same height? I just went and measured mine, it puts your butt at 16" above ground level. I have one with a backrest, but never seem to take it?, a little more weight,and yet one more item flopping around while I walk to a stand. Mine are camo, Ive had others I just spray paint camo. I don't use any kind of shooting sticks, my elbow,or elbows are propped on my knees if a precise shot is needed, and I raise my knees up by rolling up on the balls of my feet,or even toes, if needed.Close shots can be shot off hand, but I use my elbows on knees for most shooting, it seems to be solid enough thus far.As my belly begins to grow as I age, I suppose I'll have to look into shooting sticks to achieve a steady rest. I do notice when I bend over to tie my boots, I have to take a good breath, if I don't want to come up for air before Im done tying each side:) anyone else having that problem yet?
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 04:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
The one I left with Rich is a tripod, folds up nicely, a little too tall, to suit me. But it packs well in the vehicle, you hardly know it's there.

The one that Rich got from Varmit Hunter is only about four inches off the ground, and it will allow me to get my elbows on my knees, as Vic describes. It's very durable, a little ackward to carry, and doesn't pack all that great.

The one that Vic let me use is your standard folding stool used by the millions by dove hunters, has a zippered pouch that will hold quite a bit of stuff. However, I didn't find it too comfortable for long shots, which had to be handled basically, off hand.

The last one described, I could see where a bipod would come in handy. However, I don't like them, never used one on a stand, although I (do) own one.

There must be something available that will keep my butt from getting damp, yet allow me to bring my knees up where they can help steady my aim, and be compact and easily transportable. Also, light weight, and a tip-up, lower back support.

Or, do I have to fabricate such a thing?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2003 04:54 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
You know, they do make something very similar to what your looking for Leonard. I think Tim has one? they are padded seats,for sitting on the ground, no legs, with a fold up back rest. Maybe not as high off the ground as your looking for, but, it looks like just the ticket sor sitting,elbows off the knees type shooting? You might give one of them a try? although Im not sure where to look for them, hell, Cabelas might have them.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2003 07:13 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, if you like that stool, you can keep it. I have one more, and I may cut the legs, for the short term, but I'm still open for suggestions. Sitting on the ground was bothering my back.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Terry Hunter
Knows what it's all about
Member # 58

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2003 08:04 AM      Profile for Terry Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
A small aluminum framed beach chair with nylon webbing.The seat is about 7 inches off the ground.Cover the frame with camo duct tape.Cover the seat and back with a camo shirt.
Posts: 132 | From: N. Middle Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2003 08:23 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a real good suggestion, Terry! I'm going to look into that one. Hope all the stores haven't pulled the beach gear?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Terry Hunter
Member # 58

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2003 11:27 AM      Profile for Terry Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Kmart has the chairs in stock in my area.
Posts: 132 | From: N. Middle Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2003 12:31 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, check out Tim's stadium seat. It sits flat on the ground yet has the good back support. If he needs some elevation he sets it on a folding campstool. The kind with the wooden legs and canvas seat. It's very lightweight and portable and sure looked comfortable.
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2003 01:06 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
If I were still calling coyotes in my free time, I'd certainly refer you to my favorite seat, second only to my Lazy Boy recliner, and I think mine was made by American Standard. Toting a fullblown potty afield would be somewhat cumbersome, but I'd bet they got the height just about right. And those come with a backrest, too. Your throne could thus offer you a chance to get the "just right" height measuerment. Just a thought.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2003 01:48 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I bought these last two Chairs from the Sportsman's guide. But I can't find them on their site. The one's I have are called Guide Gear. The one's I had before were called Crazy Creek, but they cost twice as much.

I did finally find a picture of another brand  - This place calls them Buddy High Back Camp Chair

I wish I'd have known last weekend, I had a spare in the back of the truck I'd have let you try out.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
John
Member # 52

Icon 6 posted November 23, 2003 06:44 PM      Profile for John   Email John         Edit/Delete Post 
So, Lance. What do ya mean, "If I were still calling coyotes in my free time- - - -"
I know you have lots of free time. [Wink] So, your calling now, what, dinosaurs maybe? [Confused] Ott not try to shoot them with that little pee shooter yer usin' on kansaskayotals. [Roll Eyes]
Johnster

--------------------
John.

Posts: 14 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2003 07:29 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, John, I took your advice. I'm totin' a 25-06 now. When I finally had to admit that you were right, realized that our KS coyoteeees are tougher than those desert rats, and found that a pair of Nikes was requisite equipment for runnin' them down after stunning them with the 14, well, I traded up. Now, if I could only find a coyote to point it at. They just aren't playin' fair for me this year. I took this past week off to hunt with Q in a secured and undisclosed location and by the time I got home, my rear end (the truck's, not "mine") needed new bearings and seals and my radiator was spurting out one side. My budget vacation took me an extra seven and a quarter in expenses and all I got to do for my vacation was prep the shop for taxidermy and clean the house for the wife. Needless to say, I've taken up needlepoint and television now as a hobby.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted November 23, 2003 07:47 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sit on the gound... I only recently started using a foam filled pad. It's one of those round ones filled with styrofoam beads. I opened it up and added a bunch of packing peanuts, and now I am happy as a clam.

I can't imagine needing a stool, we gotta stand up to see most of the time anyways, or take the high position on a stump or rock.

A stool would also be hard to have stand up without sinking in or tipping off the hill here. lol
I never seem to remember to grab a set of shooting sticks, I guess if I start doin some shooting, I see if they are important or not.

Jeff

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted November 24, 2003 05:22 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, I have a little stool, usually once a day... for hunting though, I have a couple option... one is the turkey vest with the stadium seat built in... the other is a little tripod type seat, that has adjustable legs... I can go from 14 - 18 inches in one inch increments... it also has the ability to swivel if necessary... I think I got it at Bass Pro: swivel stool ;

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
bucksnort
Miss Chris from AZ
Member # 202

Icon 7 posted November 24, 2003 07:03 PM      Profile for bucksnort   Email bucksnort         Edit/Delete Post 
A good stool is a must thing to have. I only wish I had one that is not very heavy with a swivel seat that doesn't make any noise. Good tools.

Take care.

[ November 25, 2003, 04:17 AM: Message edited by: bucksnort ]

--------------------
"There are lion chasers, lion catchers, and lying SOB's."

"Warriors of El Gato - The Lion"

Posts: 368 | From: Tucson, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2003 04:43 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe I have been lucky... this swivel has not squeaked or sqawked, nor is it that heavy... i place it in the back of the turkey vest and I am off... so far so good...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2003 12:28 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Used a simple pad for several years, just to keep dry and keep some of the cactus out of me. It had a belt built-on to it, super light and easy to carry. Having the belt buckled, made it so I could just slip my Foxpro inside my jacket and it wouldn't fall out too. Walked off and left it sitting behind at the stand one time too many last year, got too far before realizing it, didn't go back for it. Have been keeping my eyes open for another one like it, but haven't seen one yet.

Picked up a little four legged stool, the legs fold, the seat is webbing. Legs are uneven height, put the short ones up hill. Only a few inches off the ground - sounds like maybe the same one Rich has from Ronnie. Comfy, and better at keeping me dry and unpunctured than the old pad. That couple inches of height can make a big difference in view on stand, at times too. All in all, not bad. But, it isn't that easy to carry, and like Leonard said, doesn't pack very well. I did put a belt on it, to carry it like the old pad, a bit bulky and rigid to try and strap on like that though. Mostly just carry it in my hand. Will switch back to the old pad, if I ever see another one like the one I had (and which I would have gone back for, had I known I'd not find a replacement right away...).

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2003 02:55 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Dave I really should take a photo of the seat that Ronnie sent me. It is metal with web suspension straps supporting the seat pad. It slants forward in a manner that prevents the edge from cutting the ciculation off in your legs when sitting for extended periods. That is the appeal of the seat and if I know I'm going to be making 30 minute stands it is well worth the hassle of toting it.
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted November 25, 2003 07:36 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
here is a small seat small stool

[ November 25, 2003, 08:08 PM: Message edited by: Norm ]

--------------------
Carpe Diem

LionHo
Member # 233

Icon 5 posted November 26, 2003 07:57 AM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
Anybody have any experience to share about this one?
http://www.nifftseat.com/

LionHo

Posts: 88 | From: Ventana Wilderness, CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted November 26, 2003 08:21 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Lionho; I had one of those seats. I found it to be a pain in the butt... if you were against a tree, it was ok, but otherwise you were always trying to balance. With all that is available today, it wouldn't be my first choice.

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2003 11:32 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I was watching "Predator ChallengeII" last night and Varmit Hunter is sitting on the same stool he sent me. Very comfortable and pretty cool.

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters