The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Howling

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Howling
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2004 06:19 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Last night (Sat), the Hispanic family who lives in the house 200 yards west of us had a dandy party. Lots of noise and singing. About 9 PM they were singing a Mexican song and when the women would sing high notes the coyotes would howl in answer. Two coyotes moved up next to their back wall and howled several times with the ladies and two more about 3-4 hundred yards out would howl with them. Pretty cool listening to them, but have to wonder Why? [Smile]
IP: Logged
crapshoot
Knows what it's all about
Member # 225

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2004 06:26 PM      Profile for crapshoot   Email crapshoot         Edit/Delete Post 
Their singing hurt their ears? OR... The music wast to their liking maybe? [Wink]
Posts: 44 | From: S. Nevada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
albert
Member # 98

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2004 07:58 PM      Profile for albert   Email albert         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if is just that they hit the right pitch? Woman and children have higher voices than men and it seems that coyote respond readily to them. I have taken my six year old boy out locating coyotes by voice howling and I am convinced that his voice is very effective at getting a responce.

--------------------
for what it's worth, eh!

Posts: 195 | From: Parkland, saskatchewan, canada | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted February 22, 2004 09:27 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Hell, When I sing. Humans howl.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2004 06:41 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
If you have the voice for it, it is very effective. I know a State Trapper in Utah that can howl good enough with his voice to make the hair on the back of your neck stand up. I have seen another friend of mine that can sound pretty close to a siren and he can get coyotes to respond. My voice is too deep and I can't accomplish either feat.

[ February 23, 2004, 06:41 AM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
DJ in AZ
Member # 276

Icon 6 posted February 23, 2004 03:33 PM      Profile for DJ in AZ   Email DJ in AZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,
They're probally local coyotes that are used to hearing you pratice on your calls. After listening to you ,that singing sounds good to em'. just kidden' [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

Posts: 42 | From: Glendale AZ | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 23, 2004 06:07 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll tell you one thing. Higgins has lots of coyotes in the neighborhood, and I think he trades insults with them on a regular basis?

As we were leaving, going to dinner, Rich got all excited because there were two or three coyotes howling from different directions. So, he grabbed my howler and answered them. Sure as hell, two minutes later, a coyote crossed the road, less than 150 yards from us.....and I had to let him go. [Frown]

But, Mexicans and coyotes go back quite a ways, hard to tell what's going on there? As we know, there are many sounds that will set them off; Ladies singing in spanish, being just one.

My howler has finally been returned to my posession. It's been reworked, and it's a real beauty. Works a lot better than before. Thanks, Rich; I love it!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 24, 2004 08:51 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Albert, you may be correct about the coyotes responding to high notes. It may be possible that coyotes will respond to certain sounds much as a turkey will "shock gobble" in response to some sounds. I do not believe that is why they howl in answer to a siren, but that is an entirely different subject. These coyotes that were howling at or with the singers were issuing a high, long, descending lone howl. It sounded non-aggressive to me. That is in contrast to their responses to my howls. They invariably issue yip-howls or threat bark-howls, both are aggressive territorial vocalizations. During the social periods that coyotes are very vocal, such as now, Tyler and I listen to them every day and we often incite them to escalate the grade of the vocalizations by howling with and at them. It's common for them to approach certain borders that we have come to recognize, and for them to reposition themselves between bouts beyond those borders, but these coyotes approached as closely as the wall would permit. That was unusual to me.
Cal,
Scott convinced me of the benefits of voice howling and Tyler and I do it often. I'm like you. I resisted because my voice is too deep and I thought that if they bought the strange coyote in their territory ruse that the deep sound would intimidate them. It well may do that. But we don't use it to elicit an approach but to elicit a vocal response. It works great for that purpose and I thank Scott for convincing me.
DJ, you have obviously heard my calling also lol.
Leonard, you are very welcome and I know you will put the howler to good use and often.

IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2004 06:03 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Rottweiler for 13 years, that during his whole life, only howled when he heard one particular song on the radio. And he howled EVERY time he heard that song on the radio (perhaps 2 dozen times, spread over a decade). There was definitely something about that song that triggered him to howl!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2004 10:40 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on Dave. I got to know what song.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted February 25, 2004 03:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Second request..... [Smile]

(may come in handy, some day?)

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 25, 2004 07:14 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
"It's not love", by Dokken.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2004 10:10 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
LOL Heavy Metal Head Dave!!!

I had wold-hybrids years ago that would howl when ever I strummed a G chord to C9 chord. I could play all day but it was the drone of those chords being heard back to back that elicited howls EVERYTIME!!!!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters