The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Funny?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Funny?
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2004 06:44 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone want to share the most humorous thing that happened to them in the field this past year? Or, for that matter, in past years, too?

I'll start. And it's good that I can laugh at myself. I was sitting on my backside with my legs out in front of me for an entire setup where I'd left the truck and forgotten my butt pad. I called for about a half-hour without seeing anything and decided to get up. As luck wold have it, my left leg was so far beyond being merely asleep that I didn't know how useless it was to me at the moment. I got to standing and had my rifle in my hand when I went to take a turning left step. My leg was like a log as it clumsily just lifted up and thumped down. Oops. I felt myself start listing to port as soon as I raised my right leg, so I quickly dropped my right foot and began pivoting recklessly back to starboard. I know I was going down and that the worst thing I could do was to try to break my fall, so I let my hunter safety kick in. I pulled my rifle against my chest and wrapped the scope and trigger with my arms to protect it and back I went - flat on my ass and back in the cedar shrub I had used for backing. From a supine position, I looked around to make sure no one was looking, then I laid there for about a minute kicking my dead leg until the pins and needles hit and livened me up. If someone had seen me, they'd have been sure I had a snootful. All I could do was lay there, shakin' and laughin' at how stupid I (probably) looked.

Now, let's hear the rest of you guys embarass yourselves... [Smile]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2004 07:29 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
This year I got my 6 day old new truck stuck in the mud, had to spend two nights on the desert and walk 30 miles with no food and not enough water to get out. That was a hoot...

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Knows what it's all about
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2004 08:44 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Well mine is not near as "funny" as Dave's story. LOL!

Here goes though... Me and a friend were calling coyotes. We were set up halfway over the edge of a large bowl that opens up into a valley. There were rimrock cliffs above us on the edge of this bowl with a couple trails running to the valley floor.

We were set up with about 70 yards in between the two of us and we could not see each other because of a small hill between us. The e-call was playing down below us about 50 yards away. After a little while I gave a couple howls. Soon after I heard howls coming from the rimrock ledge above us. I answered and got a reply.

This back and forth howling went on for a few minutes with no coyote showing. I threw a challenge in. The coyote did the same.

Before I go any further I want to explain that last year I called from this same spot and had a coyote respond from the above rimrock and then came down the trail to the valley floor for a nice easy kill. I was hoping for a repeat of that.

Anyway, this howling back and forth between me and the coyote continued. I was starting to get frustrated. This coyote was right above us and was not making any advance.

Finally I grew weary of the back and forth howling and decided the heck with it. If he won't come to me, I'll go to him. I knew right where he was and decided to head back up to the rimrock and ambush him. I was certain I'd catch him standing there and being wide open there was no escape for him.

I get up and head to the top and survey the cliff. My partner is still set up below and is unaware of what I'm doing. I'm looking all around trying to figure out where the coyote could have went.

Soon my partner comes up the trail shrugging his shoulders ready to move to the next stand.

I said "I thought for sure I'd catch that coyote that was howling at us up here." "I don't know how he could have escaped without me seeing him."

He then informs me that was him howling back at me the entire time. Something about the acoustics in that rocky bowl made it sound like the howling was emanating from above us. I was sure I had a coyote right where one came from the previous year. Boy did I feel smart. [Big Grin]

Take care, Curt

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
RanUtah
Member # 18

Icon 2 posted May 16, 2004 10:39 AM      Profile for RanUtah   Email RanUtah         Edit/Delete Post 
Dave, you should have called me, I would have came and got ya!! Did you have your cell phone with you?

[ May 16, 2004, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: RanUtah ]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2004 11:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
My son and I took an old school friend coyote hunting. We had been out before; but, for various reasons, he had not actually killed a coyote.

On this morning, early, we came upon a good looking spot and quickly set up a game plan. I motioned directions, where each of us would be, and, as we were using electronics, exactly where it would be, as well.

So, things went okay, until I happened to notice that my buddy was still walking, and walking and walking. He finally stopped (no lie) at least a half a mile away, up on the side of a hill. I figured I would talk to him afterwards, but went ahead with the stand.

Soon, a pair came romping over the saddle, to the right of our buddy. We lost track of them as they came down into the flats. I assumed, correctly, that they had crossed his path, and weren't going to come in, and had probably left.

After a spell, we hear a shot, up the hill! We stuck it out for a while longer, and then packed it up. Looking up the hill, we could see that he had an animal down right in front of him.

At this point, I suggested that we totally ignore him when he dragged it back. So there we were, all wrapped up in refreshments and gear handling, and hiding giggles, while looking in the opposite direction.

He dumped the dog at the tailgate and helped himself to a cold drink, while ignoring our ignoring, and said, matter-of-factly: " Hey, that was easy"! He got us, cold! We busted up.

So, he had figured out what we were doing, and beat us at our own game. Thereafter, we congratulated and shook his hand. Then, he immediately called his wife; telling her that he wasn't a virgin any more.

Every time I think of it, I have a smile on my face. A smoother turning of the tables, I have yet to see.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2004 04:53 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I apologioze if it is faux pas to return volley on your own thread, but I have to include the following:

800 miles round trip to meet up with hunting partners, $80.00.

Two nights in a dive motel with carpeting full of sandburrs, $100.00

Having rear-end on truck rebuilt after getting home, $900

Gallon of coyote pee, quart of fox pee and spray bottle for misting, $35.00

Watching Locohead get a mouthful of yote juice during feild demonstration of misting as Q stands by laughing his ass off,... priceless.

I'll never forget that.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted May 16, 2004 10:15 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog, I could tell a few on Loco too. He's a funny guy with a good sense of humor. And can he dance! Ever see him do the buzz-tail high step? [Big Grin]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2004 02:19 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but Q and I were forced to watch him do the 100-meter dookie squat right after lunch. And yeah, he's a lot of fun to be around.

--------------------

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 8 posted May 18, 2004 10:15 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah, that's another thing. Always try to keep upwind of the fluff-master. [Eek!]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2004 09:41 AM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
HEEEEEEEEEY!!!!!!!!
Hello???
I'm right here!!!!
[Wink]

If I ever get around to producing a video, I've some great video of NASA showing off his naked pasty white buns, grunting away, while wearing this terrible look of desperation. He wasn't doing a dookie either. He was de-thorning himself after having just sat on a cholla! I thought about helping but I was much a-feared of going blind. Plus I was having way too much fun with the camera. LOL [Wink]

[ May 19, 2004, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters