The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Peg leg and a den

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Peg leg and a den
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2004 02:20 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this really intrests anyone, but I'll post a couple pictures of a deal that I had a hard time with. I spent several days hunting this particular bunch of coyotes. They were killing every night and were dang hard to find. I walked many miles looking for this den and these coyotes. Afterwards I figured out why they were so educated.
 -
Here is a closeup of the dog. This was a shot off peg that had healed over with the bone sticking out.
 -
Here's my dogs on the den. Notice the playground and the holes. These coyotes were causing some major problems, I'm sure in part due to the peg leg dog, but he was fat and feeding a big litter of pups.
 -

[ July 03, 2004, 02:31 PM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2004 02:59 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
It interests me Cal. I appreciate you posting it.

So was this lone male feeding the pups? No female around?

Thanks

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2004 03:28 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes there was a female too, Lonny. Sorry to not get that part of it. I just found the dog with the peg interesting. The female was in good shape with no old injuries. This is what I call a "man made" sheep killer. Due to injury, I think he was relying almost soley on the easiest prey he could find. I'm fairly sure that the injury was a rifle shot. Least ways I doubt if he tripped and fell down and broke his leg!

[ July 03, 2004, 03:30 PM: Message edited by: Cal Taylor ]

--------------------

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2004 03:37 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
How about a little information about the den. How high up the drainage,slope,water, shade, playground ?

Thanks, Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2004 05:10 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Greenside,
This den was near a creek bed. It has been taken farther down the creek historically. It was about a mile up the creek from usual. Normally this creek is very intermittent, and they will be near one of the spots that usually holds water for most of the year. Where it was this year was near a new seep that I found that I didn't know existed. As far as shade, just a little greasewood. The playground was pretty big and you can see it in the picture with the two dogs, all the grass mashed and lots of brush chewed off etc.. Obviously they had been out of the hole quite a bit. 9 pups. These coyotes wouldn't play the howl back game, so I ended up spending two nights in a sleeping bag waiting for them to howl in the night. They finally did, and the next morning I walked right into the den. The bitch was there, but seen me. She left but made the mistake of stopping about 800 yds away and howling, so the dogs went and got her and brought her back. I had to let her go 3 times while waiting for the dog to show. He finally did and armegeddon followed. For being 3 legged he worked the dogs hard, but part of the reason was that I was sitting right on top of the den hole (literally).

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2004 06:54 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, good pics. Thanks for posting them.
Did you receive the tapes I sent you?

IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2004 07:16 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to imagine that's a very painful injury, and it doesn't look all that "healed" from the photo. Damn, they are tough animals.

Interesting post, Cal. Thanks for sharing!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2004 07:23 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, Really it was pretty well healed. The black and even the red colred stuff had turned to "leather" and there was no leakage. Didn't seem to be full of infection either. I didn't cut it open, but there was no telltale swelling like a big glob of infection.
Rich, Tapes recieved.....

--------------------

RanUtah
Member # 18

Icon 2 posted July 06, 2004 02:27 PM      Profile for RanUtah   Email RanUtah         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pics Cal, but Casper's lookin a little nappy there.
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 12:56 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Cal, Thanks for sharing. I was at the rifle range one day when a guy pulled in with a peg-legged coyote but the skin had covered the bone. He said he didn’t know it was missing a leg until he picked him up. Tough buggers for sure.

You called him a man-made problem due to injury. Are there other situations that you feel the problem coyote is man-made?

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted July 07, 2004 04:54 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Other than injuries I can't think of any, and don't get me wrong, healthy coyotes kill plenty, but if a coyote is injured he has to take the easy stuff. But thats not only sheep. They will live on grasshoppers, morman crickets, mice, etc. etc.

--------------------

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted July 09, 2004 10:44 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Cal. I was just curious about your thoughts on that topic. Where there are so many of us that do this for recreation and in the back of our minds we feel that we are helping the rancher, and the game species ect… I was looking for other things to be avoided. Thanks again.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters