The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » survey

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: survey
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2004 01:10 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
For fun and curiosity:

Describe the amount of time you spend hunting?

How may days, weekends, etc. per year.

How much time, as a percentage, is devoted to each type, particularly predators?

What type is only occasional, such as, not every year?

Thanks, LB

edit: PS what hunting would you like to do more of, if you could, were it not for the luck of the draw? [Smile]

[ July 22, 2004, 01:11 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31461 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2004 01:58 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
That along with coyote sex, age and weight days hunting is something I need to keep track of but just guessing I would say I hunt about 40 full or partial days a season. I only hunt 3.5 to a maximum of 4 months a year. The first 3 weeks of fur season I will call every day that I don’t get blown out and then den for coons when I do. Later on in the season I get particular about the days I go out for maximum effectiveness.

Coyotes are what I wish I could hunt more of. Wind, holidays, work obligations and the lack of fresh ground to hunt slows up the hunting for me. I would love to be able to take the entire fur season off and dedicate it coyote hunting with out any interference. The first 6 weeks I would hunt my stomping ground and the second 6 weeks I would like to spend in the panhandle of Texas! I think if a guy had the ground lined up in Texas a 300 coyote fur season would be in reach.

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2004 02:41 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
My wife would be first to tell you I devote WAY to much time involved in shooting and hunting, but actually, we have a nice arrangement. I dedicate my time to completing at least two major projects from spring thru fall. That is from the end of march, to the end of september....unless, I get drawn for archery bull elk:)
Deer season is end of oct., and last only a short week, so not a hell of a lot of my time is spent big game hunting. I always pick up my bow around mid august and practice in the evenings here on my place. Archery deer and elk both begin in early fall, so I devote a modest amount of time practicing.
Starting in late sept. if the weather starts to cool down, I start predator hunting, and go till march. There are weeks, I will hunt every day, but those are the special ones, that fall right at good weather conditions, or just a lucky streak:) On average, I would guess I hunt four days a week during that six month time frame.
The lions share of those days are targeting coyote and bobcat, I lump them together merely because so many of my calling areas are inhabitated by both species. I spend maybe 20% of my total time predator hunting, specifically targeting bobcat/fox or lion. Every year I make a deal with myself I will spend more time in the higher,rocky canyons nearby, to call for cats and fox....I just never do it very often,don't know why? Much prettier country up in the manzanita and oak, than in the flats, but I suppose Im to damned lazy to get up early enough to get a head start on time:)
If given the luck of the draw, I would use more time scouting and observing elk, as well as dedicating more time to my archery equipment and practicing. Ive been in lots of hunting situations, and taken my share of game. Nothing has compared with kneeling 20 short steps from a massive bull elk, who was pushing a small herd of cows ahead of him, and wanting to collect the lonesome shedevil I was mimmicking. A short, voice made trill and he stops broadside, right at my full draw....whew, that moment was the most intense of any Ive had in the hunting fields.

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2004 03:00 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, neither of you guys ever hunt pheasants or dove....javalina? [Smile] LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2004 03:59 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
Starting off in the spring I will usually spend 5-7 days hunting black bears. I just love being out hiking the hills glassing for black bears in the spring, It's just a dang nice time of year to be out. I will also spend another 3-5 partial or full days shooting ground squirrels. Again, its just damn fun to be out shooting squirrels on a nice 70 degree spring day.

Come fall I will spend 5-8 days rifle elk hunting. Another 3-5 days will be spent chasing whitetail bucks in mid November. After Thanksgiving I will spend hopefully a day a week average for coyotes until late Feb. This can vary greatly with weather and family stuff.

I used to spend a ton of time chasing lions and bobcats during the winter months. Coyote calling has pretty much replaced that. In the past, I burned more time and gas then I care to admit to baiting for bears. Those things went down the road along with archery hunting once we had kids. Looking back on it, I don't see why my wife stayed with me the first ten years we were married. [Wink] I don't want to be gone as much anymore either.

I would really like to spend more time hunting antelope. It is a fairly tough to draw a antelope tag here in Idaho. I occasionally might spend a day walking the high ridges with a shotgun for Blue Grouse in September.

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tackdriver
Knows what it's all about
Member # 203

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2004 05:40 PM      Profile for Tackdriver   Email Tackdriver         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
One of the reasons I moved here was the fact that I could do more of the types of hunting I love. At the top of that list is predator calling.

Now I had to trade of p-dogs, coming here, but I figure I can pick up on more jackrabbits. A bit more challenging, and a good way to work my dog.

Now that I am here some new things:
Mt Lions
Bears
Javelina
Waterfowl

One other thing that is just a blast is calling crows. Now what I dont get is this.

Ive been having a hard time finding huntable populations, EXCEPT the Apache reservation, and there, they are off limits. Ive had crows come to many stands made on the reservation...

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2004 08:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting, Tack. Which Apache res are you talking about? I don't see very many crows anywhere in southern AZ. Mostly ravens.

I have not paid much attention lately, but there are a few PD above I40, and some further along, into northern NM.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted July 22, 2004 09:16 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
I lived in Arizona my whole life...don't think Ive ever laid eyes on a single crow?
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2004 05:49 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Ravens are the big black birds that fly past your stand. Crows are the big black birds lying dead around the caller.

At least that's how the local Game Warden once explained it to me.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
elpasotbagger
Member # 349

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2004 10:54 AM      Profile for elpasotbagger           Edit/Delete Post 
Fella told me once that in Arizona if you want to shoot crows, theres bunches of them. Y'all just gota find the herds of Moose, and the crows follow'm around purty close.

Speak up when you locate some of them Arizona Moose(s).

Posts: 18 | From: Ciudad Juarez | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2004 11:18 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It's a little murky, Tim.

Both ravens and crows are black, with ravens being quite a bit larger. Other distinctions are that the crows tend to bunch up, while the ravens I see are invariably a small family group, usually only a pair, but sometimes with a fledged chick. The call is a lot different, ravens make something like a croak.

I don't know the exact status, but (I think) crows are migratory game birds, with a season, protected by International treaty, at the insistance of Mexico. Ravens are fully protected, as far as I know?

We have many crows here, where I live, right in town. In fact, there is a pair that nests in a palm a couple houses down, and takes baths in my spa. But, we have hundreds in the neighborhood, a lot more than you see out of town.

Ravens and crows do not appear to mix, I don't even know if they are tolerant of each other?

My method of identifying ravens from crows; at a distance. If it's one or two, they are invariably ravens.

Often, the first animal to come to a call is a pair of ravens. At least that is the first thing you see....and hear. However, they (may) be shadowing a coyote; so approaching ravens is usually a good thing.

I have never called crows with rabbit distress, or howls, or any combination, thereof. Others, (Tack) may have had a different experience, I can't say?

Interesting, nonetheless.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2004 12:32 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
I encountered a large flock of crows a little SE of Flagstaff while squirrel hunting a few years ago. The only crows I've seen in Az. Ravens are spread through out the state. In Mo. flocks of crows would mob us as we began our stands. They were entertaining in the beginning, after a while they became as annoying as the ticks and chiggers. We would end the stand by vaporizing the closest and most annoying crow. Apparently crows were present in Az. in huntable numbers since there was a season on them.?
IP: Logged
GCrock
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2004 01:02 PM      Profile for GCrock   Email GCrock         Edit/Delete Post 
Crows--lousy good for nothing black demons. That is interesting that Az. has very few of them. Used to be we would try to do a drive by on them and here and shoot them with scatterguns. They were smart enough to usually get far enough out of harm's way. Then, I tried the crow fight sounds on my Foxpro a couple years back, amazing. I live in the country, and if I see a crow or crows flying within earshot(and during season)--I grab the shotgun and head out to my back yard. They will come right to the house and if I am partially hidden and don't move--they get a hard load of copper #4's. Very fun to actually set up for them and let them have it. I take a few people out from time to time--they think I'm nuts when I tell them to get out of the vehicle and hide behind a bush and get ready to shoot a crow. I fire up the foxpro, and over 90% of the time, they come in and get shot--at!

Back to the question. I hunt pheasants and quail several weekends during the season, this used to be my main hunting pursuit. I hunt coyotes probably in a 60-40 split now, my favorite thing to do is try to call some in. The coyote population is down right now so lots of empty stands unless I travel. I guess I shoot doves a couple weekends in september, until I have enough for a couple meals. Deer are thick around here, but I usually only hunt them every few years when the freezer has some empty space. Just don't get a kick out of it, even though I have some very nice deer living very close to me.

Tack--how many pheasants have you seen out there since you moved?? Just kidding, I haven't seen many jackrabbits out here. But I did have a rooster walk across my lawn last week.

Posts: 17 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted July 23, 2004 01:44 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
One thing I found out this past year is that if and when you build a new house, you basically lose a whole year of hunting. I'm sure I'll never do that again!

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters