The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Contest hunt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Contest hunt
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2004 11:26 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
This past wekend was the first of seven monthly contest hunts conducted by the PVCI. The first hunt is a "Novice" hunt. Each "expert" must be accompanied by a "novice" (defined as anyone with less than two years as a member or anyone with less than five coyotes). Tyler and I took two new members that had never taken a called coyote yet.
Saturday at first light, I called in two coyotes and shot them in the first 30 seconds of the first stand. Said " That's how it's done. Let's go get some more." We did not so much as see hair again until 3 pm. Stopped two in front of my hunters, nice and close, one was taken, one was missed.
We spent a lot of time evading dove hunters, They were everywhere. They busted our first three stands Sunday morning. We drove another fifty miles out to get away from them. It was 111 degrees out there, sweat was running into our eyes and burning them, so humid my glasses kept fogging up. Most stands were made in the sun because there was no shade. Popping aspirin like candy because of the heat headches. Drank so much water our stomaches distended, still thirsty, mouth dry. Tyler got sick. Our youngest hunter (28 years old) had to ride in the front seat with a barf bag. Dry heaves. Tyler and I did all the calling. Got what Gerry calls "trombone lip". No one quit. Good on 'em. On their first contest hunt each got their first coyote, the younger one also got a kit fox, and our team won first place, each will get a trophy at the next meeting. I don't know if Tyler and I did them any favor or not.

[ September 14, 2004, 11:30 AM: Message edited by: Rich Higgins ]

IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2004 12:40 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice work thats what i call die hard

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Knows what it's all about
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2004 01:18 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
I couldn't imagine calling in temps like that. 90 is probably the hottest I've been in. I know all about the other extreme though. Congrats on the win.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DJ in AZ
Member # 276

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2004 06:37 PM      Profile for DJ in AZ   Email DJ in AZ         Edit/Delete Post 
Good job Rich and Tyler!! Me and my novice hunted high (6000 ft.) Not as many dogs as in the desert but a lot better temps (mid 80's).Did call in 5 , got 2 , missed 3.My novice did call and harvest his first dog(He's called a few, shot a few but this was his first call and kill). He was really happy and I was glad to share that experience with Ken. Well, can hardly wait till Oct. hunt. See ya at the meeting and again -- Congrats
Posts: 42 | From: Glendale AZ | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
brent Saxton
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2004 06:55 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go Rich and Tyler! 111 Deg! WOW! Thats tough calling for anyone. 90 Deg is hot here. Its been awful here to, in the 90's every day. Now the rain is moving in.

Kee

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2004 06:56 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dan. I looked for you and your son at check-in. I got in at 8:30. You did well also. See you at the meeting.
DJ in AZ
Member # 276

Icon 1 posted September 14, 2004 09:26 PM      Profile for DJ in AZ   Email DJ in AZ         Edit/Delete Post 
keekee
Where are you located in southern Ohio? I've got some land in noble co.
Rich
Jake couldn't make the hunt (high-school football season)but he will make the October hunt so WATCHOUT {says Jake}

Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2004 07:20 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Those Higgins Boyz are a tough act to follow. Congratulations Rich and Tyler. When they walk into the check-in, everyone seems to stop talking and take a few steps back, waiting for Clan McHiggins to start lining up the dogs. Those guys with their one or two coyotes just seem to lose their he-dog mannerisms when they see Higgy show up.

My novice, Bob, had a coyote in his crosshairs and asked me if he should take him. I said if you're comfortable with the shot (70 yards) Do It. He missed. And after I had been hearing about how accurate his gun was too. Oh well.... I've heard it all before many times.

On these hunts, I try to let the novice do all the shooting. I did take one after giving up waiting for Bob to shoot. Later he said his finger was on the trigger the whole time, watching it come in but wanted me to take it so we could get the monkey off our back. I asked what monkey? He said the first coyote. Since he missed the easy shot earlier, he had lost some confidence.

Bob did get a coyote though. One stand I was calling I told my partner... "Don't move! One's coming in a 3 o'clock" What I didn't know was that 3 o'clock to me was 4 or 5 o'clock to Bob. He was twisting his eyeballs out of the socket trying to see the coyote. I told him not to move again and would tell him when it was time.

I let the coyote get 10 feet from hime before I said "Take him!" Bob whipped to the right and was staring directly face to face with the coyote. I don't know who was more surprised. Shot one at 12 feet missed. Shot two at 25 feet missed. Shot three at 20 yards connected. Whoopee!

My team called in 6 coyotes. Took 2. Lost one. Missed 2 easy opportunities and basically had a very good time.

[ September 15, 2004, 07:24 AM: Message edited by: Jay Nistetter ]

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2004 08:03 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys are to be saluted for your efforts.

And, you remind me of exactly why I'm not especially crazy about taking out a "newbie".

Man! I HATE to see a coyote get away!

Good hunting. LB

PS Aaron missed a shot like that a few weeks ago.......twice. I said, in my most amazed voice:

"Oh, Aaron!"

Actually, he did draw blood, unless the concussion caused a nose bleed?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brent Saxton
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 15, 2004 06:57 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
DJ,

Im in Southern Ohio, Lawrence Co, right down on the most southern tip of the state, right on the Ohio river. Im 20 Min from Ky or Wv. Do you ever get up this way?

Leonard,

I know how you feel! I called a bobcat in last year for a friend of mine (this was his third trip out calling with me, he had taken one coyote so far) I got the cat to with in 30 yards of him and it was just inside the brush line but an open shot. He missed! 30 yards with a shotgun! I was sick! We dont get many chances at cats here!

Kee

DJ in AZ
Member # 276

Icon 1 posted September 16, 2004 07:22 PM      Profile for DJ in AZ   Email DJ in AZ         Edit/Delete Post 
kee
I get back in deer season every year.The dogs are way to skitish to call that week.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters