The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » The good, the bad, and a sick feeling

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The good, the bad, and a sick feeling
Todd Woodall
Knows what it's all about
Member # 439

Icon 9 posted December 03, 2004 04:24 PM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well guys yesterday we had a good, and a very bad day. We went calling and pretty much got skunked all day. 30 minutes before dark we sat down for out last stand. It was a buitiful call, we had a large opening with about 300 yards visibility with two heavily wooded creeks that went to either side of us. We were elevated about 30 feet from the lower part of the field. We were well concealed under a tree with a terrace running parallel to us and about 10 yards in front of our possition. We had a new hunter with us, so we put him in the best position about 15 yards from the decoy. I called with the mini-blaster for about 6 minutes, then the fun began. We had a bobcat come bouncing out of the creek at 315 yards (confirmed with a range finder). He immediatly saw our decoy and the stalk was on. We did not make another sound while he was on his way in. He stalked to about 40 yards to our left and sat on top of the terrace looking strait at the decoy. We always stress to our new hunters to not shoot prematurly, however its hard to restrain when you have a large bobcat sitting on his butt at 40 yards. Well Jason did well and held off. The cat sat for about a minute and a few lip squeeks finally made him continue his stalk. He came down our side of the terrace and ended up 11 yards from Jason and 6 yards from the decoy. Jason let him stand there for about 20 seconds and I could not stand it anymore and took the shot. I knew it was awesome footage and I didnt want him to slip away as cats often do. The cat went down and never moved again. After the call I commended Jason on his restraint and asked him why he didnt shoot the cat when he was 11 yards. He said he was not going to pull the trigger and be the one to possibly ruin it if we needed more footage. I wish he would have shot the very buitiful cat but it worked out well for all. Jason was very excited and Jeff and I were very pleased with the sequence of events. We thought we had almost 5 minutes of the best cat footage we had ever gotten. Guys this cat was one of the pretties cats I have ever seen. He was a big male with leopard type spots all over. This is were the bad comes in. We got home and like we always do we reviewed the days hunts. When we got to the cat(which was the only thing on the tape worth anything) it wasnt there. Our camera malfunctioned and only caught the last minute of the hunt and that has lines all through it and is very pixilated. That is were the sick feeling comes in. Well we got our camera in the shop and it will be there for 2 weeks. Of course we are without a camera for some of the best hunting weather all year long. It has been windy and rainy every hunt and now its perfect weather. Oh well you win some and you lose some, but this one was a hard one to swallow. Sorry I was so long winded but I really needed to vent. Todd Woodall

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit videos
110 hunts on 2 DVD's
www.texaspredatorpursuit.com

Posts: 181 | From: Weatherford Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2004 05:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't feel too bad, Todd. If you see an animal, that's good. If you kill that animal, can't complain much. As far as the camera, that's too bad. Reminds me of what Dave Aflack (DAA) has been going through with his camera. I have a Sony that took a dump and they wanted as much to fix it as I can buy a new one. I said no thanks.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
catskin
Member # 51

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2004 05:26 PM      Profile for catskin           Edit/Delete Post 
Now you can just relax an go huntin.
Posts: 76 | From: Oregon | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jeff Thomason
Member # 440

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2004 05:33 PM      Profile for Jeff Thomason   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Thomason         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, Please dont tell us that! We are hoping for something minor and not too expensive! Please keep your fingers crossed for us. The critters are safe for at least the next week or two. [Frown]

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit
Day/Night Hunting Video w/50 hunts

Posts: 43 | From: Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
GUTPILE
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2004 05:34 PM      Profile for GUTPILE           Edit/Delete Post 
Todd,
Don't feel bad. I took a Border Patrol friend cat hunting this year { February }. We're in my truck, he has my 22 WMR rifle. We see tracks in the fresh skiff of snow. Bobcat. I start with the Randy Anderson "Tweety" call. I went up the road to cutoff the cat. Turned around, came back. Pop. The cat came back towards us to see what all the noise was ! My ex Border Patrol friend shoots this beautiful female between the eyes. 25#s. He now has my Bobcat in his front room. I told him next time there will be a guide fee on the next cat kill. He just laughed at me. NO COYOTE HUNTING FOR HIM !!!!!

--------------------
Guns have two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS.

TOO FEW PEOPLE MAKE TOO MANY DECISIONS FOR TOO MANY PEOPLE

Posts: 132 | From: Curlew Wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2004 05:57 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the club Todd. Some of my best filming was done with a dead battery.

The truly wonderful thing about educating cats and coyotes is that they always forget. They always do.

[ December 03, 2004, 05:58 PM: Message edited by: Jay Nistetter ]

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Todd Woodall
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2004 06:49 PM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Jay, I just watched your video and it is something special. You really captured everything to know about a coyotes behavior. The video is a must have for beginning caller. It would have saved me alot of heartache in the early years. I really liked the mention of their ears, tale, how they carry their head. Those are all things that I subconciously check but never thought to put it to words. I am a pretty good judge of a coyote, but I usually look at the overall appearance not the small details. I really enjoyed your video and I will sure be looking a little differently when that aninimal comes in. The calls you sent are top of the line, and they sound as good as they look too. I am usually pretty picky when it comes to calls. I have a lot but usually only use 1 maybe 2. Lets just say I used yours twice yesterday. [Big Grin] Well I am going to sit around and get fat for two weeks, I might need it, looks like its going to be a sprint to the end on this video. Thanks again Jay and have a good one. Todd Woodall

--------------------
110 hunts on 2 DVD's

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2004 08:43 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
catskin said : "Now you can just relax an go huntin. "

Video-taping is lots of work. I agree completely. Go out and enjoy the the simple thrill of hunting. Its easier!!!! [Wink]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jeff Thomason
Member # 440

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2004 04:00 AM      Profile for Jeff Thomason   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Thomason         Edit/Delete Post 
Well boys, we might try and do a little hunting without filming if we can ever stop throwing up!! [Frown] I hope this feeling goes away in the next few days.

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2004 07:11 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Jeff & Todd. Go ahead and hunt with out the camera the next two weeks. You will more than likely get five are six triples, And a couple of MT Lions.

On the next video you can just tell us what happened while the camera was down. We will believe you.

Good luck with the camera guys.

Ronnie

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 04, 2004 04:24 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that feeling far too well. Had it a bunch this year. Our GL1 started crapping the bed and has been back THREE times since September. In the three days of calling where it wasn't working properly, we killed 13 coyotes I think, and called in one bobcat for about ten minutes that got a free pass (no tag). Managed to get a little decent footage in between the problems, but had far more that didn't turn out. Same kind of stuff - either not there at all, or artifacts and banding to where it's unusable anyway.

We did get out one day without the camera at all. And it was a real nice day. Real unusual for me and Tim to both be packing rifles on a stand. I had a lucky day, since most of them came in on my side. I ended up killing five coyotes myself. Tim got one and missed one.

Camera is back again. Have not had a chance to try it yet. After 3 trips and $900 in repairs, I sure hope it's working this time!

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jeff Thomason
Member # 440

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2004 05:44 AM      Profile for Jeff Thomason   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Thomason         Edit/Delete Post 
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!] $900 dollars! are you kidding me!

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit

DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2004 06:57 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, not kidding. Canon charged us $440 on each of the first two trips back. Plus the shipping costs, it's about $900 even. I guess that is their standard charge for repairing this camera, pretty much no matter what is wrong with it. Claimed it was two different things on the first two trips to the repair center. This last trip back was "no charge", they even picked up the freight this time. I hope that does it...

Hoping we can get out next Saturday and do some calling and try it out.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2004 06:14 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I buy the extended warrenty ffffor each camera and renew every two years. The Sony is in the shop now for the fourth time. When it comes back the other two are going in.
Sorry for the loss of TROPHY footage, Guys. Been there, feel the pain.

IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2004 02:29 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that's a sad story. Hope ya'll get it worked out soon. What kind of camera are you using? I've been using the Sony VX-2000 for three years now without a glitch (hope I didn't just jinx it by saying that). These are tough cameras. I know how you feel about not having your camera while hunting. Once you start filming your hunts its hard to go without it. You certainly don't want to waste your best spots without the camera. I have gone on a few hunts without my camera though in the last couple of years though and had a great time. You can realy get back to enjoying the hunt when your not concentrated on getting footage. Todd, you and Jeff have a great thing going in that you both hunt/film together. My biggest problem is getting to hunt with people that know whats expected of them for me to get the footage I need. My favorite hunting buddies all have busy jobs and can't go as mush as they would like. Some of my footage is shot while taking clients hunting. They are super guys but for the most part not very experienced. I have to concentrate my focus on them and the animal and so my footage sometimes suffers. I have tons of footage of coyotes getting shot at while still coming. I also have lots of footage of some very poorly shot coyotes and plenty of footage of missed oportunities. I envy yalls partnership and team effort. You both have a common goal and have worked as a team to acheave it. Most people will never know what is envoled in getting usable footage for a video. That is certainly tough, but this is still only a small part of producing the finnished product. Hope you get back in the saddle soon.

Byron [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2004 02:44 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
I know exactly how you feel! It sucks! I been teaching the wife to run the camera some during some of our night hunts, the first night out we only got one piece of usable footage! I was sick!(To say the least) But she is learning and doing well, if I could just get her use to the cold now we would be good to go! My partner cant hunt as much as I can so she offerd to do some of the night footage. I think she will do well, last trip she did 100% better!

So, I feel you pain, just hang in there guys, and go out and have a little fun, shoot some jack rabits or something....lol

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Todd Woodall
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2004 05:20 PM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Byron,
Jeff and I use the same camera as you. The VX-2000 has done us well until now. I guess thats what we get for not getting it cleaned during the summer. We are paying for it now. Do you need a camera man? [Big Grin] Seriously If you want to get together we will be happy to tag along and film or whatever. It would be nice just to get together and shoot the bull and maybe a few coyotes. [Smile] We are free for, Oh about 2 weeks. Let us know if you want to get together. Take it easy and good hunting.

Todd Woodall

[ December 06, 2004, 05:22 PM: Message edited by: Todd Woodall ]

--------------------
110 hunts on 2 DVD's

Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2004 06:31 PM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
Todd,

Thanks Todd,we may can work something out. I'll give you a call tomorrow. Email me your # and a good time to call.

Keekee,

My wife films for me sometimes too. We have three small children though and with her being a stay at home mom, it is difficult for her to get to go. She loves to go though, and has got where she does a fine job.

Byron [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Thomas
Member # 482

Icon 1 posted December 20, 2004 02:50 PM      Profile for Thomas   Email Thomas         Edit/Delete Post 
Guys Please quit useing the phrase [I FEEL YOUR PAIN] that reminds me to much of Bill Clinton and he has left Arkansas and we want to forget him.

Thank you

Arkansas Frog

Posts: 23 | From: Mtn. Home Ark | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters