The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Toe Hair

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Toe Hair
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 07:28 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Disclaimer: This thread has nothing to do with the current competition between Jay and Bomba, as to who can grow the longest toe hair.

I heeled a nice coyote this morning, who refused to put one of her font feet on the ground. No obvious injury, but she seemed to be used to getting around on 3 legs. How long does it take for the hair between a coyotes toes grow out?

-

The wrist bone even appeared smaller and more fragile than the others.

Any idea of about how old she was?

-

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 10:32 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, she has a mouth full of mud that's covering her incisors. Brush her teeth and take another pic. Can't tell without seeing the developemental lobes on the centrals and laterals.
IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 12:05 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,
I think Tim was looking for tips on aging from the length of the toe hair.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
WolverineAtWork
Knows what it's all about
Member # 23

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 01:25 PM      Profile for WolverineAtWork           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, mine's .984" long, and I'm 32. So that makes 0.03075"/year, or 0.21525"/year in dog years.
Posts: 87 | From: AZ | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 02:40 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

Did you mean to say the upper or lower teeth?

Any idea how long she's been hopping on three legs?

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 04:36 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Both Tim. I look at the lower incisors to age three, after that I have to see the uppers.
Someone checked in a cripple at one of the club hunts this past year. Front right leg was tucked. It didn't appear to have any visible injuries. The hair between the toes was at least three inches long and the nails were a good inch long. I don't know how quickly the toenails and hair grow, however due to the rapid wear from rocky and sandy soil I'll bet it is pretty quick.

IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 18, 2005 06:05 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
If nothing pulls her out of the wash tonight, I'll try to get another picture of her in the morning.

My guess is that she was coming up on her first, maybe second birthday. The way her wrist was so fragile looking, I didn't think she'd used that paw in a long time. But the fur there was only about 3/4" below the pad.

I tried to get a picture of her standing on only two legs. I thought I had one, only to get home and find that she had set the leg with the trap down just as the shutter opened. [Frown]

The last few days have been a great lesson for me in asking for permission to trap. I was talking to one Rancher about trapping, when he turned to his buddy and asked if he'd like me to trap on his place too. The second ranch is all posted land behind locked gates. He told me how to get around the locked gates and welcomed me with only three rules. No trapping near the house, and no shooting rifles. The third rule has to do with me carrying a shovel.

I've had coyotes walk out in front of me and just stand there watching me a few times now. You can bet I'm going to come back and ask for permission to trap every year now! [Big Grin]

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2005 12:30 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, I saw a two year old coyote that was caged, one time. It had a raised wire mesh floor, and it had just about the same type, and length of growth, except all four paws. I have seen coyotes limp because of cactus spines, no visible injury.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GUTPILE
Knows what it's all about
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted January 19, 2005 07:54 PM      Profile for GUTPILE           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,
I've got a stupid question: Did she have a Blue Wheelchair sticker on her ?

--------------------
Guns have two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS.

TOO FEW PEOPLE MAKE TOO MANY DECISIONS FOR TOO MANY PEOPLE

Posts: 132 | From: Curlew Wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 10 posted January 19, 2005 10:03 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
The only sticker on her today was a bunch of mesquite stickers from the bush she'd lain beside all night.

I took some better (Slightly) pictures and emailed them to Professor Higgins. ( They weren't pretty enough to post ) and he aged her to be right around 3 years old.

She had a small body, I just found my old scales, I should start weighing a few and see what they are averaging here.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters