The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Aggressive bunnies?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Aggressive bunnies?
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 05:18 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
What, if any, effect on calling success does producing aggressive squeals versus less aggressive sounds have on your response rates?

This past weekend, I was calling with a new partner and he remarked that my calling was more aggressive than his, each squeal was shorter, more forceful, and tapered off. I'm just making it sound like the jackrabbits I heard die. We got to wondering out loud if how a coyote responds may be determined by how big he perceives the guy with the rabbit to be in the first place. Didn't matter anyway. Neither of us called anything. (Whine, sniffle, whine)

[ January 26, 2005, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
John
Knows what it's all about
Member # 52

Icon 14 posted January 26, 2005 05:27 PM      Profile for John   Email John         Edit/Delete Post 
They won't respond if they can't hear ya'. [Wink]

John

--------------------
John.

Posts: 14 | From: Kansas | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 26, 2005 06:29 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know, Lance. Damned near any sound will call a coyote. I have heard total rookies honking on a call and they call coyotes.

I wouldn't describe a rabbit distress as agressive. Most guys try to make it sound like the rabbit is being literally torn limb from limb. On the other hand, most actual dying rabbits sound pretty tame, which still works, BTW.

Just give them a sound they have not heard before, or use 101C. If they are there, they will look, except in parts of Kansas....

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 03:22 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
You've pretty much echoed my sentiments exactly, Leonard. I was out with a guy that's just getting started last night. He's seen a couple called in, but not called one in yet himself. Of course, he's worried that he's making the wrong sound. I assured him that there is no "right" or "wrong" sound, and told him that for years, the most common teacher has been the Johnny Stewart tapes and that every Tom, Dick, and Harry seems to sound exactly like those tapes. I assured him that his sound, though unique, will probably do more to benefit him than be a liability in the long term because it will be a fresh sound no matter where he goes. Told him to work on his approach, stand selection, etc., and not to wait until January to start calling coyotes next year.

I, myself, prefer the torn from limb to limb sound, but have hunted with guys that use a quite passive tune. I haven't seen it make much of a difference here. But, I've always been curious about how it affects things in areas of much higher coyote densities where heirarchy issues seem to be so much more pronounced and where a more timid, lower-on-the-totem-pole class coyote may react if he perceives that the rabbit is in the possession of a mature, more dominant coyote, versus having been caught by a hawk, owl, or what not. Probably over thinking the issue, but it's just one of those things you ponder while watching nothing come in. [Smile]

Thanks for your input.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
center12
Member # 487

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 01:54 PM      Profile for center12   Email center12         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm wondering if passive or aggressive calling is indicative of the callers actual personality. I've been told I'm a "go get'm" aggressive type person........my duck, goose, predator and turkey calling all reflect my less than passive nature. Just some thoughts [Smile]
Posts: 12 | From: Kansas | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 02:19 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
But Charlie, you sure seemed to be something of an introvert the other night on the phone. Like hell! [Smile]

--------------------

center12
Member # 487

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 02:53 PM      Profile for center12   Email center12         Edit/Delete Post 
Did I actually get a chance to talk [Razz] [Razz]
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 08:18 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
I just thought about I and the 3 other fellas I heard calling and that theory fits us all pretty much. Bill would be the semi exception. He's pretty laid back but calls pretty "up" along with me. Chucks real easy going and his calls mimick that too. Loren
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 27, 2005 08:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Chucks real easy going and his calls mimick that too.
Ah yes, but get a few drinks in Chuck and he loosens up, I bet?

Guess that's the secret. You call as a reflection on your mood. Upbeat, depressed, nervous, cold and tired. Shows up in your calling, eh?

Damn, you would think Krusty should see action with his "whiny" moods?

Just kidding.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

center12
Member # 487

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 01:39 PM      Profile for center12   Email center12         Edit/Delete Post 
To new to reply to that one!!
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 01:59 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe that's why he gave up making calls. Found out he didn't need one.

--------------------

center12
Member # 487

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 02:11 PM      Profile for center12   Email center12         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, sent you an e-mail. Let me know.
LionHo
Member # 233

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 02:50 PM      Profile for LionHo   Email LionHo         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I've gotten bobcats and gray fox that were already coming in to quicken their pace with what I'd have to term a more "insistent" call, (ie biting down for a higher pitch, and blowing a more rapid kick to the sequence) on an open reed like the Crit R Call PeeWee. Same thing applies to lip or hand-squeaking, especially with bobcats that are hung up.

LionHo

Posts: 88 | From: Ventana Wilderness, CA | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 08:34 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
"You call as a reflection on your mood. Upbeat, depressed, nervous, cold and tired. Shows up in your calling, eh?"

So I'm going to ask my ex-gf to go on the next calling, the absolute terror she puts in me should do the trick! [Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 28, 2005 08:42 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Uh huh, What's her name, Rosie O'Donell?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 5 posted January 29, 2005 04:48 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's a thought, as long as we're thinking. When a coyote catches a rabbit, that rabbit may only squeal for 3-5 seconds. Then it's dead. Same with a hawk or owl.

The only time I've heard (realtime) rabbit screams that lasted for about 2 minutes (off and on) was when an immature bird/animal had caught it. They chewed on it for a while before actually killing it. (A cottontail in a leghold quiets down after a minute or so, too)

So, would you think that the coyotes responding to our continuous electronic loops (or persistent hand calling) perceive an immature animal has the rabbit down? Do they assume they will be taking candy from a baby?

[ January 29, 2005, 04:49 AM: Message edited by: NASA ]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2005 06:00 AM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Level of distress intensity seems to make a difference when a coyote is on his way in. Sometimes anyway.

This may have been mentioned before, but I've been playing with the idea that coyotes have no concept of time, or at least in relation to sound. That may explain why the continuous e-caller sounds and constant off and on calling work. Just a thought.

On the other hand there must be a few types of prey young that whine constantly? Lost sounds of some kind?

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2005 11:00 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I have better luck with more laid back hand calling. It's easier for me to scan for incoming coyotes while taking my time, and when they get there, I'm not out of breath and sucking wind too hard to shoot accurately.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
center12
Member # 487

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2005 12:01 PM      Profile for center12   Email center12         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm almost positive that lack of oxygen was the cause of my miss this morning [Cool] I'm getting to where I like that dizzy spell right after a series [Big Grin]
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2005 01:00 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you do some good, Charlie? Last weekend, I went out with another couple guys and I had this killer sinus headache. Couldn't shake it. About halfway through a short series of squeals, my head would be pounding so bad my right eye would start twitching and going shut on me. My God it hurt! Couple times there I almost squealed like a girl myself after blowing thru that call. Wonder if that would have called them in?

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2005 01:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
dunno, ask Krusty?

Good hunting. LB

Hey, quit picking on K man!

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

center12
Member # 487

Icon 1 posted January 29, 2005 01:46 PM      Profile for center12   Email center12         Edit/Delete Post 
Called one in Lance, dog started swinging downwind so I tried to thread a shot through the cover......didn't drag anything back to the truck!

I was calling on Clinton public land and sorta got my feelings hurt........fresh snow, tracks EVERYWHERE and I get 1 fleeting shot at a dog. At least I now know there are coyotes in the spots I've been calling at, trouble is I think their deaf [Eek!]

[ January 29, 2005, 02:07 PM: Message edited by: center12 ]

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters