The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Eastern Coyotes (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Author Topic: Eastern Coyotes
Larry Darby
PAKMAN
Member # 558

Icon 9 posted February 08, 2005 02:41 PM      Profile for Larry Darby   Email Larry Darby         Edit/Delete Post 
Just can*t seem to get these eastern dogs interested. Any ideas for this frustrated eastern hunter.
Posts: 5 | From: Mercer PA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 02:50 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
WElcome to the New Huntmasters, Larry. Glad to have you on board.

Not much help here, except to suggest that you stick with it, don't quit. Major Leaguers are lucky to hit .300. If you have a few dry holes, that's part of the game. I know those that have hunted coyotes for years without success.

Good luck, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Knows what it's all about
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 02:52 PM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Larry, what type of terrain are you calling?

If you are calling open fields and pastures, you may not get the type of response you desire.

Consider calling closer to the edge of the wood line or along fencelines or sloughs where there is more cover for the coyote to hide in while they are approaching. Watch the wind. If you are certain there are coyotes in the area, don't hessitate to call for 30 minutes from a spot, then move 600 to 800 yds and call again... Sound travels differently in your terrain than it does here in the west so it is possible that the coyotes aren't hearing your call, even though they are in the area....

Good luck...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Moose57
PAKMAN
Member # 333

Icon 6 posted February 08, 2005 09:06 PM      Profile for Moose57   Email Moose57         Edit/Delete Post 
The dogs are pairing up this time of year. Might be time to switch to howling (if you haven't already). Lone howls and pup distress sounds can be effective.
But most of all, keep after it.
Good luck,
Paul

--------------------
Paul Merrill

When you come to a fork in the road, take it!

Posts: 3 | From: Bountiful, Utah | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted February 08, 2005 09:11 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Larry,

Eastern coyotes are a little diffrent to hunt. If your hunting in PA then your going to have some of the same stuff to hunt that I do here in Oh and Ky. I will try to help you out a little.

Say out of the fields,these coyotes dont like to cross the open areas during the daylight, get down in the cover with them, call next to the thick cover were they are holing up for the day. Run the ridge lines and drop off the point into the hollows and call. You dont haft to move far between stands to call, sound doesnt travel as well in the woods and thick cover, 300-1000 yards in between some of my stands.

Use the fence lines drians, saddles, low gaps, creak beds in your set ups as much as you can, coyotes like to move in these areas to get from point A to point B, they will also use these to get to your calls. I call some nasty cover, some stands I can only see and shoot 25 yards. Dont be afraid to get down in the thick stuff with them.

Set up with a cross wind, try to keep the open areas to the down wind side, that way in order for them to get down wind they haft to cross the open field. If you must call a field then set up on the edges and try to work them down the edge to you. Or set your partner up to were he has you coverd, on the down wind, These wood coyotes are bad about going down wind and you will never see them. Tough hunting the woods with out a down wind shooter.

One of the main things here in the East is to make sure there are coyotes in the area. You cant call them if they are not there when your there. Do some scouting and find were they are feeding at night and were they are holing up in the day, In farm land,they will travel to feed and the sign will be there but they maybe bedding up three farms away during the day. I spend alot of hrs out howling at night finding coyote to hunt. And just as much time finding were they are in they are spending there daylight hrs. But it pays off.

Dont give up, its tough here in the East. 7 to 15 stands between coyotes is not uncommon here. Watch the wind, it likes to change here alot and it will kill you if you get down to low in the hollows.

Try to stay away from the areas that get pounded hard by road hunters, get back off the main roads. I been known to walk 1 mile in to make a stand before. Calling here in the east is diffrent and it takes a little while to get the feel for your set ups, your set up here in the east is the key! Once you have a couple good stands and get a responce you will get a feel for what your set ups will need and what to look for. Once you do, you got it! Hope this helps if you got any thing you want to ask go ahead I will try to help you as much as I can.

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 03:43 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
All that stuff Brent just said... AND...

SCOUT!

Locate packs with howlers or sirens on nights you don't intend to hunt. Find denning locations during times of the year you don't intend to hunt. Look for tracks and scat during hours of the day that you don't intend to hunt. Get to know the animals you are hunting and how they behave when you're NOT chasing them.

One reason I have the success I do (and I'm sure this applies to Brent too) is that I spend around 100 days a year in a treestand hunting whitetail deer. The scouting, preperation and STAND TIME I spend for whitetails definatly gives me an advantage when I switch gears and go after coyotes. If I weren't spending so much time in the woods chasing various game, primarily deer in the fall, I would have to spend a lot of extra time scouting for the coyotes I hunt.

Hope this helps. And don't let em' fool ya, Quitting is so under-rated !!!! [Big Grin] JK [Big Grin]

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hodgen
Member # 180

Icon 6 posted February 09, 2005 12:14 PM      Profile for Hodgen   Email Hodgen         Edit/Delete Post 
Save up your gas money and head out west where it's a lot easier to kill coyotes.

It's kind of nice having a seasons worth of our coyotes, show up on one stand.

Posts: 59 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted February 09, 2005 04:51 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Your right, Its great out West but there is some good hunting here in the East as well. Most of out coyotes are big and nice color phases here in the East as well. And I enjoy the challenge!

JRB,

Your right on target, not just my deer season but Turkey season to. And I spend alot of time out at night in the spring and summer out howling for coyotes. I spend the spring and summer and early fall out finding were they are dening, or hunting at night. Plus I enjoy it. I love to howl and just set back and take in all of it. Thats one of the best learning tools you can get.

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls

Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 03:54 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing how often you'll find yourself on a howler if you just carry it with you. I locate my turkeys in the spring with a howler a lot. Also, I find myself in situations during bow season (Oct-Nov) where whitetails will hang up under my stand in the evenings and leave me sitting there in the dark... instead of spooking the deer out by climbing down and blundering through the field after them on the way to my truck I just lean back and let out a good howl. The field clears, I leave, then ten minutes later the deer are right back out there browsing and still have no idea I'll be back in that tree the next evening.

I also enjoy taking a howler along on my night time catfishing trips... you can really get some long range replies while you are out on a lake or river. The sound just echoes across that water! This is a good way to keep up with the coyotes behaviour during the summertime without much extra effort... I'm already out there at 2 a.m. so why not find out whats going on?

My biggest problem is finding a howler that I like and is compact enough to take along everywhere I go. My favorite at the moment is the Dan Thompson Red Desert and it's not the most comfortable thing to wear around your neck all year long. I like the open reed so that in some of those situations (Especially during whitetail bow season) I could throw out some coaxing distress sounds with it and pop a coyote if needbe. [Wink]

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Pa Teeny
Member # 562

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 06:46 AM      Profile for Pa Teeny   Email Pa Teeny         Edit/Delete Post 
KeeKee- I appeciate your knowledge. I would like to ask you a few questions about hunting pressure.
Coyote huning in our area has boom to say the least- Went out last friday night saw 4 other trucks with hunters.( 4 years ago- never saw a truck or lights) I am not upset about that, but understand that everyone is using electronic calls and very few mouth. I am about 1 year from selling me elctronic JS and move to only mouth calls.
What do you use? We had a female reply last year ( I think it was female- she would not budge. But replied to our call everytime with howl- and mild barks not extremely agressive.

We started to travel deeper into the woods- Harder with the amount of snow we get.

Last week we had a pack reply to our group howl-2 men on 2 different howlers worked great. They were coming and we were ready but lights from a truck messed it up. When they howled back the last time one coyote was barking more agresssive and not happy. Should have I mimicked that bark back?

Also have you had females call late a night 2-3:ooam- during mating season?

--------------------
Coyote Hunting best Cure for the Winter Blues!!

Posts: 12 | From: Laurel Mountains of PA Elevation 2827 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 08:40 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, Pa Teeny. Glad to have you on board.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Pa Teeny
Member # 562

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 08:45 AM      Profile for Pa Teeny   Email Pa Teeny         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks- new to this site and love seeing what is going on in the coyote world. It is intresting how fast coyote hunting has boomed. I meet Mike Dillon from Fox-pro yesterday at the Harrisburg show. Told him I would buy the new unit if he had it. (PS made in PA) Even though I am leaning more towards mouth calls.

--------------------
Coyote Hunting best Cure for the Winter Blues!!

Posts: 12 | From: Laurel Mountains of PA Elevation 2827 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 09:21 AM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Pa Teeny,

Hunting pressure here has tripled! During fur season here there re people out every night with e-callers fox calling and now they are targeting coyotes as well. So, I know how you fell, and I see the same thing here in Ohio.

One thing I done is I get back off the roads, I may start at daylight and map out a big cirlce and hunt my way back to the truck. I may make a 6-7 mile swing and not get back to the truck till dark. Scouting has helped alot, I try to locate enough groups to get me threw the season with out pounding the same ones over and over.

I dont call the open fields, I call the woods. Most caller set up and try to call these eastern coyotes across the fields and some will cross but most wont. I call the thick cover and try to stay away from the popular night calling spots. I also call more during the day than night this time of year.

As for the howling, If I get one all worked up, most of the time I just give them back just what they give me. Im not a bit afraid to bark back at a coyote. I killed one a few weeks ago that barked at me all the way in till I shot him. He never did howl he just barked at me and I returned the barks, he came in on the down wind side and I was waiting on him. Lots of callers wont bark but hasnt seemed to hurt me any.

I do alot of puppy howls now thanks to Rich Higgens, and I love the puppy wines and crys they are one of my favorites on coyotes that just want to set there and not come on in.

I use a ELKs howler that has been re-worked. As for destress sounds I run alot of bird destress, fawn destress, puppy destress, howls, and cat destress. I blow alot of diffrent destress sounds. Some on custom calls I make and some on sceery Ap-6 and 7. Mini-blaster, Criter calls. Keven lukens calls, and several custom calls made by diffrent callmakers.

This is a tough time of year here, there is no sure fire way all you can do is mix things up and the down wind side of your set up is the side to watch. Most of the last few coyotes I have shot the last mounth have all been on the down wind side.

Brent

[ February 10, 2005, 09:23 AM: Message edited by: keekee ]

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls

Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 10:33 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a picture of a open country eastern coyote that was shot yesterday morning.

-

Oops! Me Bad, that coyote was shot about 30 miles west of the big river. It's a western coyote. [Roll Eyes]

Btw that's Mike my calling partner in the picture

[ February 12, 2005, 05:12 PM: Message edited by: Greenside ]

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hodgen
Member # 180

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 12:26 PM      Profile for Hodgen   Email Hodgen         Edit/Delete Post 
KeeKee,

What part of southern Ohio you from. I got to spend 1 week a month down in the Batavia area (near Cincinatti) for work. I did some practice calling in the off season near the East Fork Recreation area after work, and had some good responses. I ended up getting moved to a different job in Oct, and missed the fur season. Good coyote and fox numbers in the area, but filthy with raccoon.

But things still are different concerning coyotes the farther east you go. Pretty good difference in the way they respond west to east within our own PA borders. I'm not quite sure what accounts for this. Maybe it's more human interaction, pressure, food, I just don't know.
The coyotes are here because the trappers and houndsmen stack up quite a few. But calling them here is just flat out tough. One has to experience it to understand it.

keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 12:55 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Im right down on the most Southern tip of the state of Ohio, right on the Ohio river. Im 20 min from Wv or Ky.

The place you were talking about is around a three Hr drive for me to get to from here. There are good coyote and fox numbers up that way though, I make it up there at least once a year and more if I can.

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls

Gerald Stewart
Member # 162

Icon 14 posted February 10, 2005 01:42 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Hey larry, I do not know how close Mercer is to New Castle, but I will be doing a seminar on Friday night the 25th of this month for a fundraiser event for Laurel High school in New Castle.

The plan right now is to do a seminar on wildlife calling in general at 6:00pm and then do another on Coyote calling specifically at 9:00pm.

If you can make it maybe we could spend some time talking about your situation. That would be a great primer for me if we could talk between the two programs so I can work some of your questions or comments into my program.

Hope you can make it.

[ February 10, 2005, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: Gerald Stewart ]

Posts: 419 | From: Waco,Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted February 10, 2005 01:59 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Larry Darby, you won't get too many better offers than that! And, he's a good old boy, too.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Hodgen
Member # 180

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 02:35 PM      Profile for Hodgen   Email Hodgen         Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald,

You wouldn't happen to be comming up a week early, by chance, would you? It would be perfect timing for one of our biggest coyote hunts in the state. That would give you plenty of insight and fodder for your seminar.

http://www.mosquitocreeksportsmen.com/Rules%20&%20Regulations.htm

Larry Darby
PAKMAN
Member # 558

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 03:38 PM      Profile for Larry Darby   Email Larry Darby         Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald, New Castle is close to Mercer and Ihave been to the sports show in Laurel before. I will try to attend the show and hope to see you there. Thanks to everyone who sent suggestions. I think maybe we've been hunting open fields too much. I've seen George Brint call coyotes in on a Primos video and he got them to come across open fields. He hunts in Tenn. I'll never quit trying-I'm having too much fun.
Posts: 5 | From: Mercer PA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 04:21 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Hooo boy! I wouldn't miss that chance if I were you. It certainly got my attention.
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
buck poison
PAKMAN
Member # 563

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 04:57 PM      Profile for buck poison   Email buck poison         Edit/Delete Post 
Gerald,

I'm a huge fan of yours!

[ February 10, 2005, 08:26 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

Posts: 2 | From: NW PA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 05:32 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
buck poison,

You're full of shit.

You've obviously never met the man, or you'd hate yourself for the crap you just posted.

He's retired from selling calls, He's involved now simply out of a love for the sport, and because he loves to help people.

He may have made only 10 posts, but compared to your two, he's on a roll. If you notice, you've never seen him slam some one or post derogatory BS like you just did.

You should take a few lessons from Gerald. He will not only teach you how to kill coyotes, but you might learn a few things about becoming a decent human being.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 07:04 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim is absolutey correct. I can't think of a finer individual that Ive ever met among the predator hunting fraternity. A guy could be quite pleased with his own character, if he was half as gracious and knowledgeable about predator hunting as Gerald Stewart is.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 10, 2005 08:25 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and it's crap like what's posted above that discourages Gerald from sharing with the rest of us, a lot more often. I'm just going to delete your posts, "buck poison". If you want to join in, in a civil manor, I might not ban you?

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters