The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » hunting away from home?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hunting away from home?
tiller
PAKMAN
Member # 571

Icon 5 posted February 15, 2005 04:48 PM      Profile for tiller           Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious as to how many hunters persue coyotes 100 miles or more away from home. Do you camp? Motel? I realize it's tough to scout from a distance and gas aint cheap so how do you pick an area? How far would you drive to hunt in prime coyote country? I feel fortunate to have a friend that lives in excellent coyote country and am willing to drive the 300 miles one way, it's sure funny how he just shows up at my place during the elk rut.
Posts: 3 | From: Corvallis MT USA | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
nd coyote killer
HUNTMASTER PRO STAFF
Member # 40

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2005 04:59 PM      Profile for nd coyote killer           Edit/Delete Post 
I do a ten nine hour one way trip every year for an annual hunt and drove 16 hours to Rawlins for Nationals. No distance is too great to shoot coyotes and have that much fun it should probably be outlawed. [Big Grin] I usually drive around four hours for a weekend hunt.

--------------------
"Sure are cocky for a starving pilgrim" - Bear Claw

Posts: 385 | From: On a hill | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Predator Down
Knows what it's all about
Member # 453

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2005 05:16 PM      Profile for Predator Down   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I have logged over 80 hours of driving this season and that is only on the trips that are 100 or miles one way. If i put down the times i have here just around the area i live than there is notelling how many hours i have spent driving to just kill coyotes.
Posts: 10 | From: oklahoma | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2005 05:53 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh,the miles I have put on trucks over the last 18 years of calling.Anymore, That is mostly how I hunt coyotes.Driving 300+ miles is the norm anymore. I try to get to areas that have high concetrations of coyotes,rather than hunting alot of hard hit areas where the calling tends to be alot tougher.FWIW GOOD HUNTING C.O
Posts: 1626 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2005 06:12 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
My prefered areas are the far side of 200 miles away. It's bothersome that I have to drive that far but I don't really think about because of the plus side. The eastern side of our state is pretty well covered in coyote country so finding a decent spot is a lot easier than picking a decent spot. Its a very welcome change from getting out of treehuggerville. I always feel very refreshed after spending time on the east side.
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GUTPILE
Member # 448

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2005 06:45 PM      Profile for GUTPILE           Edit/Delete Post 
I drive all over hell lookin'. Motels, yes. Gotta get 'em no matter what !

--------------------
Guns have two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS.

TOO FEW PEOPLE MAKE TOO MANY DECISIONS FOR TOO MANY PEOPLE

Posts: 132 | From: Curlew Wa | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2005 07:01 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm more of a homebody. I may drive a hundred miles one way to hunt, but I almost always come back home each night. Sunday was an average day for me, and I put over 200 miles on the truck.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2005 07:24 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
How many miles would I go to go predator hunting? [Roll Eyes] Do I stay in a motel? [Confused] I don't think you'd believe what I'd have to say, so you need to ask someone that's done the same thing....Leonard?

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted February 15, 2005 08:26 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
I drive alot, every weekend somewere lord only knows how many miles I put on a truck a year! I been known to take off on friday night and drive 8 hrs hunt two days drive home and go to work!..lol

Just a couple weeks ago I drove 6 hrs hunted two days and drove home. I will make a two hr drive to hunt one day and drive home, I do this all the time.

I will fly, Drive, Ride, whatever! I went out to Az this year for 8 days to predator hunt. I hope to make two trips next year out there. And anywere else I can get in during the season!

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 02:36 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I spend a lot of time on the road so I can hunt predators with variuos friends around the state/country. On an average weekend I will drive 500 miles but on a four-day weekend I often exceed 1000. I do a few long hauls each year, Wyoming, Texas and Tennessee which rack up some serious miles. Because I am usually hunting with friends I sleep on their couch and return the favor when they visit my place... if no couch is available I have a $35,000 hotel that I drive everywhere I go. I learned the comfort of that truck last summer when I used it to get me through race weekends out of town... sure beats $70 a night!
Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 05:53 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
When I fly to another state, I stay in motels or my hosts home. When I drive long distances, I stay in motels if they are available or in the back of my Bronco, double size airbed fits perfectly. Drove 16 hours each way with Leonard a couple of months ago and I still haven't recovered. Last night I stepped out onto my back porch from my bedroom and called several up to my wall. Mo' better.
IP: Logged
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 06:42 AM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
I drive as far as I have to. Sometimes that's pretty far. I might call less than 100 miles from home a couple times early in the year, but that's about it. Otherwise, I'm always further than that. Mostly day trips for me, too, I'm afraid. Not unusual to put more than 500 miles on the truck on a day trip. When I get to spend a night, I sleep out. I do use a tent when it gets really cold or if the weather is bad though. Had one trip last year, we drove in late Fri. night and tossed out our sleeping bags on cots under the stars. Didn't know exactly where we were, so we just picked a spot off the side of the two track, not expecting any traffic. It was cold, down under 10 degrees. But we were too tired to mess with the tent and the ground was too frozen anyway. When we woke up, we had some pretty thick ice on top of our sleeping bags. There must have been some kind of bird hunt or something going on in the area as there were quite a few rigs rolling past as we climbed out, got dressed and stowed our gear. The looks on the faces of some of those guys driving by were hillarious.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 07:39 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
We usually do like DAA,we have a Wall tent that we usually take.If it's real cold we take the stove if it is somewhat mild we don't.We drive to the general area we plan to call in, setup the tent, unload the ATV's and off we go.But like most of you guys I have spent many a cold night curled up in the cab of the truck.Starting it every couple hours to warm up the cab so it's not to uncomfortable.Have done the Motel a few times,if definitely makes it a comfortable trip.Only problem is that alot of times it's out of the way from where we want to be calling.GOOD HUNTING C.O
Posts: 1626 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 08:09 AM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
I gess I didnt answer half the question...lol

I stay with friends alot or sleep in the truck, tent, cabin, motel what ever is there. I been lucky and had some great friends put me up while im hunting, its hard to beat good friends! And has saved me some money and made trips happen that would not have if they didnt put me up! I been know to sleep in the truck for a few hrs on the side of the road.

Driving sleepy is tough, but I gess I got use to it. Some times I will pull over and get an Hr or two so I can make it home. No a good thing to do I gess but sometime thats how it goes!

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 08:45 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
I typically drive 2-4 hundred on a weekend. I usually head home when it gets dark because day two takes me a different direction. If I stay overnight in a general area, camping is the last resort.

Here's something I usually calculate while on a coyote hunting adventure... I look at the odometer and divide the number of coyotes into it to get:

MILES PER COYOTE

Anybody else do that?

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hodgen
Member # 180

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 12:11 PM      Profile for Hodgen   Email Hodgen         Edit/Delete Post 
Travel......about 2500 miles one way by air.

Types of area I like to hunt. (see below)

-

-

The hopeful end result (see below)

-

As for accomodations, I tend to lean towards the more rustic facilities when I travel. [Big Grin] (see below)

-

Posts: 59 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hodgen
Member # 180

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2005 03:06 PM      Profile for Hodgen   Email Hodgen         Edit/Delete Post 
Cold...warm...warmer....hot!!!!

I kind of figured you would recognize the area. Actually I wondered if it was you that left that cigar on the ground by that coyote. [Big Grin] j/k

I will say one thing though. You have some pretty good size coyotes up that way. I am a pretty big guy (6'4" x 240) so the picture doesn't do that coyote justice. But that is a fair sized coyote for CA standards.

Posts: 59 | From: Pennsylvania | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2005 08:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Duncan, what part of, "don't bother to reply" did you not understand?

We will miss you. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted February 17, 2005 09:31 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice pictures, great location selections.

I will drive 100 - 500 miles in a weekend... air matress and sleeping bag; Bivy tent / tarp in case it looks like rain.... motel very seldom...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2005 11:27 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
1743.6 miles per cat

-

Picture of a cat I called in for my brother-in-law last Friday at 11.45AM

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Z
Member # 303

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2005 05:35 PM      Profile for Z   Author's Homepage   Email Z         Edit/Delete Post 
I will normally put 400-600 miles on for a one-day or two-day hunt. I will sleep in the back of my Tahoe. You get a lot of rest when it gets dark around 5:30 PM. My wife and kids can't believe I go out to some isolated place where I can't get phone cell reception and sleep in the back of the Tahoe when it gets down to 20 degrees. I love it. It is quiet and peaceful and usually very few people crazy enough to do the same thing. That is the way life is when you hunt predators in Utah.
Posts: 51 | From: Bluffdale, UT | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters