The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » What's the best? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What's the best?
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 6 posted March 29, 2005 03:51 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Choose, between an electronic or a hand call? I ran across this statement on another board:

quote:
The ability to totally control the sounds you are puting out will make the difference every time with a finicky coyote.

What do you think? [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Clint
Knows what it's all about
Member # 346

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 04:22 PM      Profile for Clint   Email Clint         Edit/Delete Post 
i would say hand calls are the best! but i use both, i use the e call when i am calling on my own.
Clint

[ March 29, 2005, 04:23 PM: Message edited by: Clint ]

Posts: 148 | From: Mesa, AZ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 04:31 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
I like my e-caller, but I'm far more comfortable using hand calls.

What I don't agree with is the "every time" part. I've seen a lot of coyotes recently that chose not to acknowledge any sounds from hand calls at all. Not spook and run, but stop, look, and continue meandering their merry way along as if to be deaf, and at very respondable distances.

I don't think there is an "every time" with coyotes.

Brad

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 05:27 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Brad, I dont think there is an everytime either.

Im a hand call person myself, but a good e-caller has its place in my calling. I love them for cats and long stands, and the remotes make it nice for set ups that I can make with an e-caller that would be hard with hand calls unless I have another shooter.

And e-callers are great for calling alone. But even then I will run hand calls most of the time.

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 05:51 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
I replyed to someone with a similar statement a while back but don't think those are my words. To good extent I agree.
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 06:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, wasn't you. I 'spect the party will be along; shortly? [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 06:29 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I gotta say hand calls all the way.Haven't got into the DJ thing with the E-callers. [Razz] Too stubburn I guess. [Wink] GOOD HUNTING C.O

[ March 29, 2005, 06:29 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 06:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Get away with a lot of hand movement, at night; eh, Chad?

I'll say this, for daylights on cats, it's hard to beat a remote machine. [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 06:37 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I think they both have there place. I very much prefer a hand call. When I do use a E-caller 90% of the time I will blow a hand call louder than the electronic at the same time. Works for me.

Ronnie

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 06:46 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm probably wrong, but those sound like the words of someone new to calling, or someone who hasn't given electronics much of a chance.

But then who ever wrote it probably didn't think we'd pick his words apart.

I'd agree that Handcalls give you better ability to control the sound, that often can make the difference on a finicky coyote.

But I don't believe you get total control, even with a hand call. ( Ever have a reed lock up or turn into a goose call when you least expect it?)

And there is no such thing as "Every time" with a coyote.

In the words of coyote Guru, Murry Burnham "Sometimes this shit just don't work!"

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 07:13 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I fall into the category of not giving E-callers a chance.I bought and tried the JS Preymaster a couple years ago,used it a couple times but I just didn't see the advantage of it.I can see Leonard's point with regards to calling cats.But I have been using handcalls for almost 20 years now and don't see any need to change now.Coyotes seem to just keep coming to the hand calls.Maybe when they won't come in anymore I'll break down and get me a FOXPRO. [Wink] GOOD HUNTING C.O
Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 09:12 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I like handcalls and I own no e-caller at this time. My old JS512 called in alot of critters but I thought I needed a lighter newer caller, went with preymaster then foxpro sold both in a little over a month after purchase. I had no control with them, hit wrong button on PM and remote sucked on FP but with handcalls I don't really have anymore control but I enjoy them more.
Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Clint
Member # 346

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 09:27 PM      Profile for Clint   Email Clint         Edit/Delete Post 
i love my loudmouth, but when needed i can put more "feeling" in to a mouth call. i believe that you have a better chance calling in that dog that just isnt super interested by being able to call with the circumstances that come up. but i still do 75% of my calling with the loudmouth.
Clint

[ March 29, 2005, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Clint ]

Posts: 148 | From: Mesa, AZ | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted March 29, 2005 09:36 PM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
Where I hunt, here in the east, it is sometimes an advantage to get up in a tree stand. I have a few out in the woods and sometimes I will tote in the climber. In these cases, an E caller set out about 50 yards or so has worked well for me.

When I hunt on the ground though, I like my hand calls.

I think that in the areas I hunt, both are necessary to be well rounded. You could get by with one or the other, but in my experiance, there is a time and a place for each.

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 6 posted March 30, 2005 07:51 AM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Everyone!
I hope you don't mind if I jump in. There is something about a hand call that just makes me feel good when I call in and kill a predator. Maybe its because I am not that experienced and doing it by myself gives me a certain satisfaction that I didn't feel when I used an e-caller.

Posts: 225 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2005 10:53 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
A smart man knows the answer before he ask the question, Right Leonard [Wink]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2005 12:24 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
Hand calls, hands down. Working a coyote is much more automatic, but if someone only wanted to kill (or miss) a coyote and that's all, the e-caller is a no brainer.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2005 06:47 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
Electronic with remote
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2005 07:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
So, where's Tom? Hello, NASA! You don't have to tell me how unfair this is, taken out of context, and all. But, you're a good sport. Please note what Tim said about you, a man; (a gentleman, in fact) who has shared his campfire!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted March 30, 2005 09:20 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
E-callers help the best become better and the flunkies to make par. “Which is better???” Which can you work the best?

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2005 04:05 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] OK LB,have your fun. My son is here for Easter vacation and we've been out calling, and, shooting PD's. Otherwise, I'd have seen this sooner.

I'll only agree that using the word "always" (without qualification) left me wide open for criticism. I'll stand by the rest of my opinion.

My style/type of predator hunting is casual and laid back. Very different from the intense, driven, hectic and even extreme approach that is the key to success for consistant tournamant winners and professional fur hunters. Q hunts like a man possessed, and has the pelts at the end of the season to prove it. Leonard has been on club hunts where it took 40 animals to win a 3 day contest. Taking time to sleep was not an option. For that kind of hunting, an ecaller is indispensible.

My reply was not intended to be used as a challange to the tournament style hunters with speakers on the roof of their cab who drive and shoot all night long. That frantic pace of hunting requires the mechanical aid of an ecaller. You could call this technique "production" style hunting.

I don't need to sell fur in order to make a loan payment, and if I never get a trophy for killing 40 coyotes in 2 days, I'm OK with that. But if I can call in coyotes every time I go out, and have the "opportunity" to take at least one, then I am satisfied. High volume has never been a priority with me and I have nothing against it. I have a lot of respect for the guys who have the stamina and grit to hunt that hard. Myself, I don't have the horsepower for that grueling pace! [Wink]

[ March 31, 2005, 04:14 AM: Message edited by: NASA ]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2005 11:51 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, you are right. When we use terms like never and always, it calls for equivocation, sooner or later. But, we all do it.....well, not all(?) but you know what I mean. [Smile]

There is a phenomena that not everybody will see, or agree with, but I believe it. Under certain conditions, the most perfect response from a called coyote will be to a machine that plays a monotonous and continuous sound. Realistic pauses, and creative renditions work against the object harvest. You will never see a more beautiful response to a distress, and an efficient dusting. I know it sounds contrary, but you have to see it in action, to appreciate what I'm saying. A Nirvana kind of thing.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted March 31, 2005 09:53 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, but I do know what you're talking about. In defense of ecallers,here's a little story. TJ and I were hunting along the CO river. We were heading south on 78 below Palo Verde. On a dirt road between the river and a cantalope field we caught a glimps of a coyote. We slowly drove by and about 25 yards past him we put the FoxPro out. We kept going another 40 yards and pulled into the brush. After we got set up, I hit the remote. Here they come, three coyotes in single file, as perfect as a movie script. I said, "On three, shoot!" And on 3 we both shot, the same dog. No chance for a follow-up, but it was a classic call-in.

[ April 01, 2005, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: NASA ]

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted April 01, 2005 08:14 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
". You will never see a more beautiful response to a distress, and an efficient dusting."

Here is a different take, based on different perception. When KeeKee hunted with Tyler in Jan. Tyler videoed a coyote that did not want to come to the call and did not want to be there and everytime it would hangup or balk Tyler would plead a little differently and the coyote would stalk in, head down, slowly, one foot in front of the other, like a cat. It took several minutes of coaxing, begging, pleading, until Brent lip-squeaked it into position for his gun and shot the coyote. Dandy video and
"You will never see a more beautiful response to a distress, and an efficient dusting".

IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 14 posted April 01, 2005 08:55 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, that is exactly the type of situation I was refering to when I said

Quote: "The ability to totally control the sounds you are puting out will make the difference every time with a finicky coyote."

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters