The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Your favorite, yote- whacker gun (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Your favorite, yote- whacker gun
2dogs
Knows what it's all about
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 01:06 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
What firearm, do you use mainly or only on the dogs? How about your favorite ammo?
Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 04:03 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
For the last 18 years or so I have used and have had great success with my Rem. Model 700 in 22-250.Has been a great rifle.A Good bullet that I used alot this year is the 55 grain Sierra boatail spitzer(#1365).Really does the job on coyotes>BANG FLOP>

This year I am going to hit it hard with my new 204 Ruger.GOOD HUNTING C.O

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 04:38 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I used a 243 when I first started calling. Too much gun. In My Opinion anyway. Dont want to start a war here.

For the last several years, I used a 223AI with a 52gr AMax. Very good gun. Well placed shots yield minimal hide damage. Kills em dead and is somewhat forgiving for a bad shot. God knows I need that. I really like that gun.

Little over a year ago, I got a 17Rem. I love the way it shoots and, for the most part, the way it kills coyotes and the lack of hide damage. But, due to several things beyond my control, I have hunted less since I have had it than in years, and therefore, havent killed enough coyotes with it yet to personally make a solid opinion one way or the other.

I did lose a coyote with the 17 this year, which Im not convinced I would have with the 223AI. Granted, it wasnt the optimal shot, maybe I shouldnt have even taken it, but I did. It appeared to hit him a little back and lost it.

Time will tell. I guess to answer the question, at the moment, the 223AI would have to be my favorite, just because of amount of time used and results. I suspicion the 17Rem will turn out to be as good or better in the future. I also plan on giving the 204 a good workout sometime soon as well.

We shall see.

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 05:28 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a only on dogs rifle. I take what ever predator shows up " in season " but most times they are coyotes.

I've always shot a 22-250 or a 220 swift for many years tell now. I'm now shooting a 223WSSM and I'm impressed with the performance so far.

I'm using factory ammo at this time, Win 55 gr Ballistic Silvertips at 3850 fps and Win 64 gr Power Points at 3600 fps.

I'm told that I can get way over 4000 fps if I wish with the 40 gr bullet....I don't wish to go there lol. [Wink]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 06:19 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
I've used quite a few different rifes & calibers. I estimate, I've shot(wounded) 40 dogs or so, on the first shot. Hit in the chest & a handfull in the gut over the yrs. With .223 & 22-250.

Knocked most of them down on the first hit. All of them got back up et ran. But, managed to re-connect & kill some, before they got away.

On the other hand I've killed more than that with those two calibers. Hitting them in the same body area, on the first shot...DRT.

It's interesting to say the least. Say ya shoot 2 coyotes in the "exact" same spot(please play along). One drops dead the other runs off...Go figure.

[ May 08, 2005, 06:20 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 07:11 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
2dogs,

What kind of bullet were you shooting?

I use mostly a 17 Remington or a .223 on coyotes. But I did pick up a .243 towards the end of the year and had great bang-flop luck with it!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 07:21 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
2Dogs, I've used the 22.250 and think its one great caliber,i killed a lot of animals with it at long ranges...Andy you didn't start a war but i don't agree with you...I use a 243 and it does no more damage than a 22.250 when loaded down with an 87 grain bullet...Fellows i think your gone to the extreme end of the spectrum with the smaller calibers...I don't think they will ever come out with anything better than the 22.250, 220 swift,223 or the 6mm calibers for coyote size varmints.(Its nice to experiment but i think you will come back to one of the "good old calibers."
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 07:35 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

Mostly 55 SP's & 45gr HP's in .223. These shots were mostly between 150-200yrds. I might add the majority of these yotes were 35lbs or better.

I started useing 50, 55 & 60gr Ballistic-Tips around 4-yrs ago. They keep them on the ground better, than what I was useing.

The vast majority of the male yotes in my area run 35-low 40's. With an occasional 45-50lb'er. The largest ones, are the hardest to stalk up on.

I'm still honing my callin skills. So looking to bag more big boys, down the road.

The 22-250 was 55gr FMJ & 55gr SP.

Future plans, include a .243wssm upper for my .223 Bushmaster AR.

[ May 08, 2005, 07:48 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

DJ in AZ
Member # 276

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 07:57 PM      Profile for DJ in AZ   Email DJ in AZ         Edit/Delete Post 
I use a 243 tika with 70 gr noslers handloads. Before this I used a 223. Lost a few dogs with the 223 (may have not been hit exactly right) but if your not worried about fur I think the 243 is one of the best call guns out there.
I have yet to lose a dog due to a bad hit with the 243.(And believe me, I've hit a few bad)Also,less wind drift- more downrange punch(than the 22's) on those long shots that we all have to take now and then.

[ May 08, 2005, 08:11 PM: Message edited by: DJ in AZ ]

Posts: 42 | From: Glendale AZ | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 09:54 PM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose this will make me the odd man out, but the one gun I find myself taking more than any other is the 12 ga Mossberg 835 with a TruGlo Red Dot sight on it. Short barrel and quick pointing, it works well in the brushy areas I hunt here in New Hampshire. I have been looking at the 935 which is a semi auto, and might end up with one before the calling season starts again.

An other gun I have been playing around with is a Rugar Mini 14. We are limited to a 5 shot clip here, and I picked one up pretty cheap - 250 in almost new condition. It is shooting about 2 1/2 inch groups with a Bushnell Red Dot site on it at 75 yards, which is about as far as the shots will be here for me. A little work and I will be able to get that down some I am sure, but it looks like it is going to be a fine calling rifle in the near future. Could be a bit light for some of the bigger coyotes we encounter sometimes here but if that happens, I'll just shoot 'em twice.

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Lungbuster
Member # 630

Icon 1 posted May 08, 2005 10:41 PM      Profile for Lungbuster           Edit/Delete Post 
Al,
I highly recomend the 935. I love mine, it is a great shooting shotgun.
Here is an after action pic of mine.
By the way, the coyotes were called in using the call I bought off of your ebay store. Thanks!

[IMG]http://[url= http://"http://www.hunt101.com/?p=283697&c=500&z=1"]  - [/url][/IMG]

Favorite ammo would be #4 buckshot, but I am planning on experimenting with the new "dead coyote" load. Their website claims 100 yard kills with a shotgun.
Pretty amazing stuff, if it's true.....

[ May 08, 2005, 11:34 PM: Message edited by: Lungbuster ]

Posts: 225 | From: Idaho | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2005 08:10 AM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, glad the call worked for you [Smile] Those coyotes seem to have seen better days though.

I'm using the 3" #4 buck also, sometimes when I have a realy manly moment, I will shoot some 3 1/2 inchers. I sure do like that overbored barrel. Don't know if all of the hype is true, but it sure seems to shoot a lot better than any regular shotgun I have used, and confidence is half the battle. Best thing I did to my gun was to put one of the Limbsaver Recoil pads on it. Much better than the stock pad for sure.

Yes, the 935 is going to find it's way into my collection soon. I've read nothing but good reports about it from everyone. All I have been able to find here though are 26 and 28 inch barrels. I had a guy who would order me one in the short 22 or 24, but he wanted a bit too much money. I keep my eye open at Dick's Sporting Goods and they know I want one, so it wont be long.

Al

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted May 09, 2005 02:39 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin,
I didnt experiment with bullets much with the 243. When I started, I wasnt very old, and the older gent that used to take me along calling, well, thats what he used. But, he never pulled any fur in his life. I used to salvage what was salvageable to throw in with my trapped fur for the winter. (BTW, as for legends go, no one has probably ever heard of him, but he was a true pioneer around here. No internet or magazines or videos to learn from. Just went and did it. Good at it too. Sure he hasnt killed as many as alot of you guys, but hes pretty damn good for a ozark hillbilly.) Anyway, I didnt reload. Main choices were 80gr Hollopoint or 100gr PSP. Yeah, it did a great job on killing coyotes and foxes. But, again this is just the way I see it, it was kinda like using a 300 Win on whitetails. It does a fantastic job of killing and dont do alot of damage if placed right, but damn thats a big ole gun for the animal and distance.

I bounced right over the 22-250. My dad had one and I shot it some. It did good, but I ended up with the 223. Then got the 223AI, which dont make alot of difference. But it does a fine job on coyotes. And, from what Ive seen, the 17 does fine too. Just havent had enough personal hands on experience with it as of yet.

Andy

Edit: When calling heavy cover, which we do around here quite a bit, one with a rifle and one with a shotgun with 4 buck is a pretty deadly combo.

[ May 09, 2005, 02:40 PM: Message edited by: Andy L ]

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted May 10, 2005 03:27 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Has anybody tried carrying a shotgun and a holstered Contender or Rem.XP100R with shooting sticks??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7582 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 02:05 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I started with a .22. I shot one coyote that took off running and yelping and I felt really bad. So realizing that a big BB gun wasn't quite enough I opted to use my 30.06. I figured that shooting my elk gun would make me a beter shot. Then i fell in love with this .243 that i still use today when I'm not armed with my favorite...the Canon XL1. [Smile] I havn't used much of either the past 2 years.

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Zach
Member # 526

Icon 1 posted May 14, 2005 05:30 PM      Profile for Zach   Email Zach         Edit/Delete Post 
Ruger .223 Most coyotes are dead on the first shot with a 55gr SP, but then again I am not shooting large volumes of coyotes. It works for me.
Posts: 11 | From: Worland, WY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
bem243
PAKMAN
Member # 607

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 06:11 PM      Profile for bem243   Email bem243         Edit/Delete Post 
My long time "go-to" gun is my 28 year old Ruger 77V chambered in .243 Win. Until about 3 years ago it had only shot my hand loads (75 & 85 grain Speers) for coyotes and 100 grain loads for our local white tails. It gets a little heavy in the field but it has never let me down if I do my part right.

Bruce

Posts: 2 | From: Beaumont, Tx. | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 09:02 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to New Huntmasters, bem243. Glad to have you on board.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted May 15, 2005 09:28 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
On the males a 12.7x 70 Schuler with 535 gr V- Max's. On females a 10.3x 65R Baenzinger with 290 gr blitzkings. Brass is little hard to find, and a tad costly at $72.00 a round for the Schuler, but worth the spectacular results.

Ronnie

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TOM64
Member # 561

Icon 1 posted May 19, 2005 07:46 PM      Profile for TOM64           Edit/Delete Post 
I always have a hard time picking my favorite but the one I use the most and have the most confidence in is my 16" Colt HBAR with a 2.5-8 Leupold scope.

Been playing with a .17 Rem in a Sako model 75 and just picked up a Bushmaster light weight with an Eo-tech on it.

Time will tell if the Colt is still king but I know the .223 is my favorite caliber. Either I know my limits with it or it just fits my style of hunting, I have no problems with it and a 50 grain ballistic tip.

Posts: 2283 | From: okieland | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
A.D.B.
PAKMAN
Member # 659

Icon 1 posted May 24, 2005 08:15 AM      Profile for A.D.B.           Edit/Delete Post 
I like the .243 myself.

--------------------
Love to hunt

Posts: 2 | From: Salem, Oregon | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted May 25, 2005 12:42 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
ADB, I can't think of a valid reason for you to register with two different screen names and different email accounts. How about we limit you to one to a customer?

So...I disabled the Hotmail registration, unless you want this AOL deactivated, instead? Your choice. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
stubbicatt
PAKMAN
Member # 669

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2005 06:23 PM      Profile for stubbicatt           Edit/Delete Post 
I've had moderately good luck out to 200 meters with a home built kalashnikov variant with a 3.5 scope, in 5.45x39 caliber. The ammunition is inexpensive, and quite effective.

Regards,
Stubb

--------------------
No matter where you go, there you are!

Posts: 2 | From: Colorado Springs, CO USA | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 09, 2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Stubbicatt,

Welcome! That sounds like an interesting round, can you tell me a little more? What brass is it based on? What bullet weights are you using?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted June 10, 2005 09:56 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't claim it to be best -- whatever works for you and is a humane caliber for coyotes will do fine, but I shoot a Remington 700 .22-250. Rarely is South Texas fur worth keeping, so I shoot standard off-the-shelf Remington .22-250 cartridges.

Prior, I primarily used an old Savage .222 model 340B. Same off-the-shelf ammo.

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters