The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Approach this setup?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Approach this setup?
RayG
Knows what it's all about
Member # 9

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 01:24 PM      Profile for RayG   Email RayG         Edit/Delete Post 
Jump on this on.

This question was asked a very long time ago on this board when it belonged to Frank. Hey Leonard, that was some time ago wasn't it? Somehow the discussion got off track and became a flame fest.
This board now has a whole new generation or members, so have at it. (I did not ask the original question, but someone currently on this board did.)

Situation:
1) You are about to set up a stand in relatively open desert.
2) Some greasewood here and there, but mostly sage and other lower brush.
3) Wind is from the west at 5 mph with an occasional gust up to 8 or so. (the usual desert breeze)
4) The time is half an hour before sunrise, with clear skies.
5) The best way to view the approach lanes is from a small rise looking due east, right into Big Red. All other location put you in short visibility zones and you only have a scoped rifle. This IS where you will set up.
6) 200 yards north is a deep wash that is a veritable coyote highway, but it is on posted land and the rancher is not predator hunter friendly.
7) It is likely that you may have multiple coyotes come in.

Question: From which direction will you approach your stand? There are other concerns you may address, but ultimately, how will you approach this setup?

--------------------
RG

If you don't vote, don't offer your opinions about the outcome.

Posts: 34 | From: Corvallis, MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 02:27 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ugly......but workable. First thing I'd ask myself is would it be a better mid-day or evening stand?

But since I'm there......I would come in from the south directly to the rise. I would place the Rigor Rabbit & the FoxPro 2/3 the way up the rise and call crosswind to the wash. This would be a stand where I would consider "misting piss & pissing mist". I would then go about 50 yards east, downwind, wearing a ghillie suit and STAND facing slightly northwest. Rifle at port arms, scope on low power, hit the remote and DON'T MOVE. Become the tree.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 02:53 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll jump in early and wish I hadn't later when I realize certain things I don't yet see in the situation. [Smile] In any event, my setup would be very similar to Kokopelli's in that I would make my approach from due south. Since I can get the best visibility from atop the rise, I'll assume that "they" can see it best from every direction as well. I don't have an e-caller, but I do have a Jack in the Box and I would place it atop that rise for all to see. Then, I would move to the east - 50-75 yards would do, give or take, and set up where I can get good looks at the real estate between me and Jack. Since the ravine north of me is a veritable coyote highway, I can cold call this place, as such, and expect fur from that direction, even if I don't lay out too much fare on the table. Because visibility is low and I'm in close quarters, I'd start out by misting heavily, then go with a couple lone howls, wait several minutes, howl a couple times more, wait ten minutes, then start in with very brief, conservative series of distress screams every five minutes or so. With cover that heavy, I just want them to cue in on me, not catch me with my pants down. Basically, wah-wah-wah then get ready. 95% of my time should be spent ready to shoot and <5% actually calling in one way or another. Turn the scope down to minimum power, assuming that it's variable. I would expect that the howling would compel the coyotes to definitely make a downwind approach. Since I expect they'll sight the deek, they'll be moving downwind of it and I don't want to coerce them into changing course with too much screaming. Basically, get their attention early and let them close the deal.

Then again, if I were with Quinton, we'd set up lying prone on that rise where we could see well, I would call three times, then Q would shoot anything that stands up inside 600 yards of us. Been there. Done that. [Smile]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 03:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, as I understand what you are saying, you have determined that the small rise is where you will be afforded the best visibility, with open area to the east looking at the sunrise, and that wash 200 yards on your left.

I'd just ignore the sun and set up on the front of the rise, facing east, but favoring the northeast. If I have a machine, I'd put it to the right side, out 100 feet to the southeast. And, I'd mist directly down wind, although I don't really expect anything other than a direct approach, from the protected boundary to the north. They will have to cross my mist, according to the plan, but I don't expect them to circle downwind, out of sight; especially at dawn. They might check up right out in the middle when they run into the Magic Mist, for an easy chip shot....or two?

Anyway, I always like to see downwind, if the sun is rising, I'd just have to deal with it.

Hope I didn't get too far wrong, what's the correct answer?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 04:02 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
One more thought.....in many of the areas that I've been, the rule of thumb has been that "the wind comes out of the sun". Rising sun pushing warmer air and all of that. In the given example, there's a good chance that the wind direction will shift 180 degrees. Another reason to call crosswind in this instance.

Now I've had to think and it made my brain hurt. I will now begin to celebrate my country's birth by consuming alcohol and handling small explosives like the rest of the neighborhood seems to be doing.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7576 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 04:48 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
If that were the case, the sun would rise in the south half of the year for me, and from the northwest the remainder.

The only thing I ever see the sun do at daybreak is create a bit of breeze, iof it isn't already going, and make the temps drop just a bit as the first rays warm the air and make them rise, being displaced by cooler air. Then again, it may be just my feeble mind playing tricks on me.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted July 02, 2005 05:30 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog911....I seem to remember the sun rising once from the northwest. It was shortly after I invented the EverClear Martini.

I haven't hunted Kansas yet so my high desert observations may not apply. This is a good example of how subtle conditions affect calling in different areas in different ways.

Damn!! That one was close. Must go. Someone is shelling my backyard. Regards.

--------------------

Norm
Knows what it's all about
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted July 03, 2005 06:50 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, you ask for the correct answer.... we all know there isn't a single correct answer... everyone enters a hunting area in they way they feel most comfortable...

Personally, I would choose a Q type approach or yours. i want to see as much as possible...

Cdog?? a northwest sunrise?? we must not be in Kansas anymore...

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters