The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » mad cow

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: mad cow
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 10:30 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Walking down a sandy wash to a stand this morning and a coyote trotted out into the wash about 50 yards ahead of us and stopped for a few seconds and looked around . Tongue hanging out, obviously stressed. Kept looking back along the trail he came in on. Didn't see us. Took off at a lope along the trail just as a black cow came barreling down the trail. She was into that fast- forward trot with no vertical movement that eats up the ground. She was on a mission. Wonder what the coyote did to piss her off? They disappeared two ridges over and we never saw them again. Setup right there and called for 30 minutes. Ravens, small birds and cows came in. No coyotes.
IP: Logged
Melvin
Knows what it's all about
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 12:24 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Could it be,that a coyote may have harrased the cow and took a calf from it?...(Another scenario)possibly the cow could have been attacked by coyotes at an early stage in it's life?...Good Question and hard to answere.."If only that cow could talk"
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 01:03 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
What kinda cow, Rich? Regular ol' runothemill cow, or a gnarly longhorn cow? My longhorn pasture is full on one side of mature cows, and the other with yearling calves. Add in two nasty black angus bulls with overwhelming senses of territorialism and no sense of humor, and that place is "iffy, at best. Usually sneak in there, call and sneak out, more concerned that one of the cattle might see me as much as the coyotes seeing me. At least a coyote won't trample me into the ground. You gotta love those longhorns.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 01:41 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, she was a polled Angus. Fat with short legs. She was mature, not a heifer, which means she wouldn't be leaving a small calf to run a coyote half way across the county. I see cows charge after coyotes fairly often, apparently to keep them away, never to run them completely out of the country.
IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 03:00 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Cattle tend to swap off on babysitting duties. One cow will watch a half a dozen calves one day, another cow will watch them the next.

I used to have an Angus that would not tolerate dogs in the pasture if there were young calves on the farm. ( And it didn't matter if they were her calves or not ) It didn't matter if the calf was with in half a mile of the dog, that cow would run the dogs off as fast as she could. But by fall when the calves were decent sized, a dog could walk right past her and she'd barely turn her head to look.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 10, 2005 10:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
It seems to me that a cow is usually able to run a coyote off, any time she wants, but who knows when that will be?

I have not been around long horns very much at all. And, it has been a while, but we used to see brahmas down southeast of Tucson; lots of them. Not any more, for some reason? But, I wouldn't trust them animals, for sure wouldn't turn my back to them.

I can't remember a whiteface, cow or stear ever acting belligerent around me on a calling stand?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 04:42 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had two occasions where I was charged and checked out by white faces. In both instances, it was calving time. And in both cases, since each herd was a hunderd cattle strong, I felt the ground shaking beneath my butt long before I heard or saw the cattle approaching. The first time, I was in the pasture and was surrounded by the cattle. The second time, I was just outside the pasture with the fence to my back.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Knows what it's all about
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 06:00 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
It's very common for our cows to charge coyotes that get too close even if the coyote is just mousing nearby. Heck, they will turn around and try and take on my pick up once in awhile when driving through. Seems to occur whether they are calving or not. There seems to always be a couple over aggressive ones in a herd. Many times they won't tolerate even a domestic canine getting too close. The deer do the same thing. I've watched deer chase coyotes for quite some distance many times.
Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters