The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Calf killer update...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Calf killer update...
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 08:48 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, the traps have been in place for about two weeks and nothing but a couple really big-assed 'possums. I'd made three call stands around the farm until tonight with nothing too remarkable having happened. Until tonight.

It's an epic tale. The kind that would make you cheer one minute, and cry the next. It started at the dinner table. I quickly realized that although the temps were just a tad over 90 degrees, there was little wind and I didn't have any plans. What the hell. Let's go calling. I drove the forty miles to the land o' calf munchers and decided to go a bit further north and farther away from the corrals. Most of the wheat fields around the area had been disked under thus eliminating a lot of concealment cover for coyotes, so I felt encouraged.

I crawled through a yellow steel gate that I could have sworn was owned by the guy I'm working for, but once I was a couple hundred yards into the section, walking east, I realized that another fence two hundred yards south of me was the boundary line. Oops. I had to cross open country to get to it, so I stayed low, shot the gap, and made my set up at the base of three willow trees sticking out from the top of a dirt pile adjacent to a flooded bog of sorts. Actually, I soon came to realize that it was a skeeter breeding project from hell, but I was already committed. The good news is that as I sat facing due east into a rare easterly wind, the pond/swamp/bog commanded my entire backside preventing anything from coming in thru the backdoor. Or, so I thought.

I howled with my Higgy Howler a couple times, waited several minutes,and howled some more. About every five or ten minutes, I'd sing something else thru the howler - lone howls, lost puppy howls, and eventually, the venerable puppy ki-yi's. (I don't know if the word "venerable" fits in this application, but it sounds good...)

After a while, I even grabbed out a high-pitched asian burl PREDATR and gave two rounds of the squeezed bunny for good measure, after which I just leaned back, repositioned my legs in hopes of regaining some feeling, and chilled.

After several minutes, I hear yet another swamp bug mucking around in the muck behind me and quickly realize that this one has big assed feet. Plop, plop, plop. I look to my right and there he is, at my four o'clock, six feet away and looking right thru me. Coyote. He had waded thru foot-deep water to get near my downwind. He didn't get there.

I lowered my head slowly so I can see him while the brim on my boonie shielded us from making eye contact. I kid you not, for three minutes, that damned coyote just stood there looking thru me, at me, behind me, behind himself. You get the idea. He wasn't in a hurry. I had my left hand on the grip of my Howa with my thumb on the safety, pleaing in my head for the coyote to move away. After a while, he did, trekking right across in front of me (going north and east). At my twelve, I slowly raised the rifle when, with rifle halfway up, he stopped at about twenty feet and looked right at me. It took him about three seconds to get goosey and turn to quarter back to the south. In one move, I pulled the sticks back, raised the rifle and give a gruff "woof", prompting the coyote to stop and turn broadside to me. I looked through the scope, set on 9X no less, and saw nothing but really fuzzy coyote. I amied two inches below dead center and squeezed. Bang. Flop. Cheer here.

Thinking to myself that he might have a brother, I grabbed the howler and got it positioned wrong in my lips. Nevertheless, it produced a gawd-awful raspy ki-yi that promptly stood number two up on the hillside at about 160 yards to the south in shoulder high grass where all I could see was his head. I grabbed the sticks, swiveled at the hips to my right, and found that I couldn't get good footing with the sticks. On the third attempt, I finally got them steadied and to my surprise, that coyote was till standing there. I aimed, pulled, and shot. Yes, I pulled. The coyote went down in the tallgrass and flailed around a bit, then did the worm burner thing up and over the top of the hill. I couldn't get to him because of the knee deep muck and water in the flooded pasture. I honestly think I missed him but who knows. I'm counting him as a miss. We cried.

Got up, walked out to number one. Pencil-sized entrance wound in the front right shoulder, broken right shoulder blade, and similar sized exit wound behind the left shoulder. Chest full of tomato soup. Paced the distance back to the tree. 16 steps. That's some intense coyotin'.

Sorry, but no pics. Cameras are bad luck for me when calling.

[ July 11, 2005, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Outdoor Tripp
Knows what it's all about
Member # 619

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 09:02 PM      Profile for The Outdoor Tripp   Author's Homepage   Email The Outdoor Tripp         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance,

Riveting tale. I love these. I suspect others do too.

Did you go looking for the second dog?

--------------------
The Outdoor Tripp
www.theoutdoortripp.com
"All great truths begin as blasphemies."

Posts: 805 | From: Texas | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 11, 2005 09:19 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Great story. Congrats.

Yes, might have been a good idea to go look up there and around for blood.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 04:24 AM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe you got you're calf killer?

Very interesting and good story.

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 04:51 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Good morning, guys. I don't know if either or both of these two are of the three that were up to no good. But, anywhere I find myself looking at a coyote within a mile radius of where the damage occurred, I'll consider them targets of opportunity. As for blood, it was starting to get dark, I wanted to show the owner that I had killd one, the ravine around that hill was flooded with old rain and black mud and he made his egress under a pretty good bit of his own steam, so I imagine he was okay. Just a little wiser for the expereince. Told them I'd come back in ten days to two weeks as time allowed and go another round. Pretty much all my spare time is consumed getting deer done and out of the freezers so I'm finished with taxi work before/ if I have to have surgery on this danged neck.

It sure was fun to warm the barrel up again.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 05:27 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Lance. Knowing the skills you possess I had no doubts you would get him.

There is one secret you have mastered, That you have to pass on to me(I will pay cash). How in the hell when the temp is in the 90's, and you are in a skeeter bog, do you lay back and Chill?.

Cograts on a hard earned kill.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 05:55 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice story Lance. Thanks for sharing.
Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 07:46 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Driving forty miles after dinner to call in the heat is hardcore. [Smile]

My favorite stands are the ones that the coyotes wind up in my lap. Six feet out staring a hole through you for several minutes qualifies. Good discipline.
The eye contact thing will make a good discussion thread. I have no idea why a coyote will stand close enough to count it's whiskers as long as I don't look directly at it. But once my eyes shift and lock on it's eyes they are gone.

IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 08:15 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich. You ever notice Dogs only look at each other in the eyes when they are playing?. When they are about to fight they never make eye contact.

When it comes to Coyotes. I only make eye contact with the crosshairs.

[ July 12, 2005, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: varmit hunter ]

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 12:57 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Ronnie,

The sun was setting and the bullfrogs were just starting to roll out that cadence croak of theirs. Bobwhites were calling on the far hillside and the mourning doves were wailing their mournful coos. That time of the day when the dayshift starts turning things over to the graveyard crew. Almost musical. The headnet pretty much kept the mosquitos at bay and I was in the shade. Walking all day in the sun carrying mail pretty much makes sitting in the shade an easy way to chill. Even when it's hot. LOL

Rich, it's my understanding and experience that eye contact in canids is a sign of aggression and I think their brains are hypersensitive to it when it happens. Kinda like the pre-programnmed curves of a beautiful woman's hips seen out of the corner of your eye. It still grabs your attention. But, I digress. In the couple years I trained greyhounds, I would be tending as many as 125 adult dogs at a time in a 30-foot square turnout pen. They could mill around and ignore one another fine, but if two got crossed with one another, you'd see them posture and look almost at one another. After a few minutes, their eyes would meet - the bolder of the two going that next step - and the free for all would start, and once two started fighting, it became a melee. Thank God for muzzles. I've lost 'cats to eye contact, too, but not as assuredly as it happens with coyotes. That's why I like a wide brimmed hat or cap. I can keep it low enough to block my eyes but not interfere with sighting thru a scope. Just lower your head until the coyote's eyes are out of sight and you're usually good. I figure if I can see him, he can see me, and vice versa.

That is the closest I've had one come in for a while and it helps me to recall why I like this game so much. You just don't get that thrill from a deer walking under you by random chance. My new goal in life is to get one that close up on Q and see how his 300-yard-shot demeanor holds up. [Smile]

--------------------

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 01:23 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing Lance. I love it when they come in close like that. I don’t know if I can keep myself from looking them in the eye though…. Watching their eyes dilate (or whatever changes when they get the aw spit look) when they make me out is just as much, if not more, fun as killing them for me on most days. As you have mentioned though after I see it I’m usually left with a lower percentage shot.
Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 06:35 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
If they get that close I just shoo them off like I did that big male you shot last year. LOL Remember the one right below us? In fact if I have any say in it they will be cooling off long before they get that close. LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 06:55 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Q,

I got the pelt back from the tannery from that male. Nice! Kinda wish we'd kept the feet on so I could make a rug. Maybe this year, huh?

For the rest of you, Q's talking about this coyote we called right after a break we took to rectify an equipment malfunction. We get back out, walk up one side of a small ridge, and I do a couple low squalls on a PREDATR. This coyote comes bee-bopping out from right under Q who's maybe fifteen feet to my left. He can't see him but I can and he gets out just far enough to stop, turn around, and look up the hill with this look on his face that says, "What the..." Q whispers to me that he'll run him out to shooting distance. Then, he takes off that damned Nebraska Cornhusker ballcap, kinda lifts up so he can see over the edge, and yells, "Hey! Coyote! get the F outta here!" The coyote takes off running and gets about ten good paces out when we both start barking at him. He stopped. I shot. He died. About 65 yards. What was he, number 5 for the day? Kinda funny and memorable how that one went down.

[ July 12, 2005, 07:00 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------

Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted July 12, 2005 08:31 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
I didn’t say the “F” word did I? LOL Funny way of handling coyotes but it works if you keep a cool head. I am not sure what # it was for the day. We shot the triple first and then went back to my place. I think we shot 7 that day and 5 the day before? I can’t remember.

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 03:40 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, we shot the one from high in the rocks early, the one we put the stalk on second. Then the triple, then this one here, so he would have been #6 for the day. 7 the first day, 5 the second.

And yes, you used the F word. I didn't mind it, but I think the coyote was a little shocked. Whatever works.

--------------------

keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 10:49 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
And I thought I was the only one that used the F... word and the SOB word when talking to coyotes! Im not crazy after all!!!!!

But they sure are hard to edit out of film...lol

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted July 13, 2005 10:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome! I see somebody found their password.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31494 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted July 15, 2005 07:03 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep....I get a case of the dumb a@@ every onece in awhile...lol...I was using 5 insted of S. I bad hand writing to..lol

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters