The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Is your hunting better, now.... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Is your hunting better, now....
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 2 posted August 26, 2005 12:13 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Is your predator hunting better, or worse? What's in your future, more access, more animals? Are your best days behind you?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31463 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 12:38 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Hunting gets better all the time, because not only do I get better lookin' every day, I get better at calling. Soon I'll be able to leave my gun at home and just "grin 'em to death" like Davy Crockett.
I can't wait for tomorrow.

BS, I also give lessons. Any and all who are interested please send a credit report and copy of your stock portfolio.

IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Knows what it's all about
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 01:24 PM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
My hunting is better, due in large part to this and a few other boards. Also due to the growth of the coyote population. (We now have at least two coyotes in NH)

The biggest improvement, however, has been that I appreciate it more now than I did 20 years ago.

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
pup
Member # 90

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 01:30 PM      Profile for pup           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, As always your posts bring a smile!

Anyway credit report is in the mail. I not for sure what a portfolio is , but will my old gym bag work? [Wink]

Hopefully, Lord willing and the creek don't rise, the last nail on the house should be driven soon. So with Momma's house done, I should be able to actually get out and call a few stands this year.

We seemed to have had a good year. On some of my "unwinding" joy rides with the wife and kids, we have seen several of this years pups. Funny, how innocent they are now.

later pup

Posts: 213 | From: Oklahoma | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 01:59 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Quote, " I appreciate it more now than I did 20 years ago."
Boy, ain't that the truth. I've watched my old hunting spots turn into towns, freeways, and industrial complexes. Now days, I have to travel 5 times further to find 1/3 as much game. But that was > 40 years ago for me. You younger guys probably wouldn't believe what you missed, 20 years before you were born, sigh! [Frown]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 02:08 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
I believe this fall & winter. Should have good numbers. I plan on doing alot more callin, than I have ever done before. Especially come snow-fly.

I have made some friends along the way, these last few yrs. I have aquired quite abit more land to hunt this yr, as well.

I hardly did any snow-fly callin last yr. As my spotting abilities out class my callin abilities. I'm still honing those [callin-skills]. I have learned much from you all.

I came to this site, with a [hard shell]. You folks on here. Have cracked that, [which was needed] for my sake. Thank you for doing so. [My agressive attitude, sometimes, defeats...what I seek].

You are a [Great bunch], as Leonard had told me so. Should've known that, all along...Leonard knew [Wink] .

As I've stated before. If anyone of you comes my way. I will put you on some [spotted coyotes]. You can have'em all [Smile] .

Can't wait to get out into the field [Cool]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 03:01 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
I have my hopes up that it will be better this season...I got me a dog now,it's only a puppy ,but should be old enough for training,when the season gets started.

I will give a report later,as the dog progresses...He is a nice little border collie.(using for sight dog and lure the coyotes in)

If the coyotes are out there like i think they are,i believe the dog and i should do ok...I actually think the coyote population is still growing in,Pa...There starting to show up in areas they didn't inhabit before. [Smile]

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 04:57 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
There are still predators in many of my old hunting spots. The trouble is, you can't hunt there anymore. Housing tracts, shopping centers, and golf courses cover the landscape.
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 05:36 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel kind of like NASA does. I still have some good deer and turkey hunting spots, but have lost my desire to hunt em. Coyote calling is almost a bad joke in this part of Iowa because of all the housing projects popping up. I have to travel about 200 miles north-west, over in nebraska to start getting in to decent coyote country.

I have been working hard all summer, just trying to come back from quadruple bypass surgery. I'm walking eight blocks every day now, and expect to be up to a mile a day in next couple of weeks. I will soon be back after the coyotes, and will probably take my first nebraska hunt about middle of next month. Wish me luck please. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 06:15 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
You have it, Rich. Good luck and I hope you slaughter those Nebraska coyotes this winter.

I will be going under the knife, myself. Not nearly as serious, knee replacement. Soon as we get approval, I go on the schedule, but I don't know exactly when it will be?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 06:56 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Rich waited until season was over to have his operation. Leonard waits until it begins to schedule his. Is that why you started this thread?
BTW Rich. Good luck in Nebraska.

IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted August 26, 2005 07:01 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
My better days are behind me. Did my thing in the 60s,70s and 80s. Still doing it but real slow. [Wink]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2005 07:21 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,
I hope your knee surgery goes well. I have heard that after the surgery, you will feel a whole bunch better just as soon as your knee quits hurting.

Onecoyote,
You were talking about your HUNTING, right? [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2005 08:08 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, that is super news that you are recovering so well! That new lawnmower was probably more theraputic than you ever imagined, lol. [Smile]
DAA
Utah/Promoted WESTERN REGIONAL Hunt Director
Member # 11

Icon 1 posted August 27, 2005 06:30 PM      Profile for DAA   Author's Homepage   Email DAA         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey pup, good to see you posting!

My hunting is better and worse than it used to be. As Tom mentioned, most of the places I used to go when I was getting started, are developed now. Houses and Walmarts and fast food places and gas stations where there used to be just miles and miles of miles and miles. Other places, are just plain pounded to death. So, in that respect, it's worse. Less ground, and more competition. But I've gotten more efficient, and effective. Maybe more consistent is a better way of putting it. Used to get skunked fairly often. Almost never get skunked anymore. Despite what I consider to be tougher conditions. I do think there are just as many coyotes in the places I hunt, if not more, than ever too.

- DAA

--------------------
"Oh yeah, they're gonna talk to you, and talk to you, and talk to you about individual freedom, but they see a free individual, it's gonna scare 'em." -- George Hanson, Easy Rider, 1969.

Rocky Mountain Varmint Hunter

Posts: 2676 | From: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Byron South
Member # 213

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 08:03 AM      Profile for Byron South   Author's Homepage   Email Byron South         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,

Ditto.

My hunting is better than it used to be for sure but I feel for new guys getting started. Especially here in Texas (private land). Over the years I have developed a lot of relationships with lots of land owners and gain more access every year, but I also loose a little too. Its a constant battle and with deer leases going up it does get tougher but so far I'm still ahead of the curve. These young guys just getting started are sure getting tested.

Byron

--------------------
"Coming to the Call" predator hunting videos. Volumes I, II, III and IV. Order two or more and pay no S&H www.comingtothecall.com

Posts: 313 | From: Texas | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 09:42 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
Double ditto to what Dave and Byron said. Lot's of farms are being sold off and developed for housing around here. City dwellers nearing retirement buy it up and promptly post "no hunting signs" around their sprawling 20 acre "ranch". Slowly but surely what used to be wide open spaces with easy access for hunting, is being whittled down more and more.

Then there are the hunting clubs. So far I'm in good with most of them and can still access them. I'm sure the day is coming though that these hunting clubs will recognize the potential profit to be had from predator hunting as in many other places and start charging ridiculous fees to hunt predators. The surge in the popularity of predator hunting is kind of a double edged sword. Hunting's best kept secret is a secret no longer.

Having said that, I would say overall the hunting for me is better. I have more access to ground than I ever had even with all the realtor signs going up. I've worked hard to maximize critters taken per stands made. Much more efficient than I used to be. It's rare to get skunked like Dave said. With the ban on baiting and hounds, bear and cougar hunting has got better too.

So I guess for myself, some things have got better and some worse.

Good hunting

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 10:35 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Things have definitely improved for me in the last five years. Due more to me moving from Indiana to Arizona more than anything else.

But since being here in AZ I have seen a steady decline.

A few idiot Ranchers just seem to enjoy screwing things up for everyone else. They are locking off thousands of acres of public lands by putting up a locked gate every time an access road crosses a little strip of private land. Fish and Game is willing to build roads around them, but the State won't issue them the permit to build new roads.

One rancher is charging $100 a head for trespass fees, and has had to pay money to have his place aerial gunned for the last two years. Yet he still can't see the light.

Coyote numbers here have really fallen off the last two years, and this year isn't looking any better than last.

I took the camera out yesterday morning and made six stands only seeing one coyote. A couple of weeks ago, I took my nephew out, we made four stands on Saturday and I called him in two pair. We went out on Sunday for four stands and never saw the first coyote. But I did find a set of Mountain Lion tracks in a wash yesterday morning. Almost glad he didn't come in. It would have made for some nice pictures, but the only gun I had with me was a 17HMR pistol.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 11:01 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
DAA,I totally feel your pain.I remember when I first started calling 20 or so years ago.I could go out in the west desert and it wasn't a big deal to shoot a coyote or two on any given day.Now it seems like it is ALOT more inconsistent.I mean you can still kill coyotes out there but with all the other callers and developments now there are alot more dry spells.I actually haven't even hunted the west desert for about 4 or 5 years now.

Back to the original question.Calling for me is alot better now(last 5 years or so)than it was in the past.The reason?I am hunting alot more Private Ranches and farms In areas with Lots of coyotes that don't get the pressure that alot of the public lands get.And very and I mean very rarely do I hunt in Utah anymore.I also believe like DAA that I am alot more efficient now than in the past.I have found the BASICS I need to be successful and stuck with them.It also helps when you have a HIGGINS HOWLER... [Wink] GOOD HUNTING Chad......

[ August 28, 2005, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 11:36 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Chad, I don't wish to yank anyone's chain, but I discovered what you are learning many years ago.

I don't know what it is, but (it seems all) the residents of Utah get out and hunt and pop a few caps in what looks like deserted desert? I have never seen what looks to be such good hunting to be so poor, for a variety of reasons. Even jackrabbits are scarcer than they should be.

So, what do they do? They all drive into Nevada, and I have been witnessing that invasion for twenty years. I've even given them the left half of the state but anymore, that doesn't seem to be enough?

My hunting grounds are shrinking too! [Frown]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 12:33 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,It's all about calling in the NUMBERS. [Big Grin]

And they sure as hell ain't in Utah. [Frown]

It's amazing to me how you can cross that imaginary line(Utah/Nevada border)and instantly you become a better caller. [Wink] GOOD HUNTING Chad...

[ August 28, 2005, 09:02 PM: Message edited by: UTcaller ]

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bud/OR
Member # 450

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 03:23 PM      Profile for Bud/OR   Email Bud/OR         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been calling for over forty-five years. I do believe I've done better in the last three than all the rest put together.

I think this is because I'm more serious about it than before. I'm also covering more of the state(OR) and being more creative with my set-ups. I certainly don't have the competition you fellas have so the predators haven't been educated as much. I can count on one hand the times I've met or heared others that I thought were predator calling.

I don't hunt for furs so I call year round and most of the time my boys or a friend do the shooting. My Dad beat it into my head, 'If you aren't going to eat it, don't kill it' but I am very serious about helping the dwindling fawn crop....

What I'm trying to say,...while, probably shooting myself in the foot,...

Eastern Oregon has vast miles of BLM and National Forest land that have...many predators. I can get you info re;offices that supply maps.... I'd run my mouth about Western OR, but #1; it's too close to home. #2; You 'open-country' boys would probably not care for it.

Good luck with your hunting.

Bud

Posts: 51 | From: Oregon | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 05:21 PM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
I hope to have a better year this year than ever. Looks like the coyote numbers are up here and all ready seeing pups getting out on there own. We got alot more land to hunt this year to. I will be driving north alot more though, better numbers up there and they are easyer to set up on in the farm land.

I am seeing a loss of hunting land here to, alot of my river bottom land is now houses, and I did have one places leased this year, right out from under me. But we are luck in a way we still have alot of goverment land here for now. It gets pounded but will still produce coyote. I can shoot across the river and hunt Ky as well.

All and all, I hope for a better year this as far as numbers go!

Brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Todd Woodall
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted August 28, 2005 08:46 PM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Hunting around home last year was not as productive as in the past. We too loose good spots each year to development, but also gain a few to make up for it. We havnt touched any of it since Feb. so we are anxious to get out and see what happens when it gets a little cooler. I am not against hunting during the warm months, but I am against decreased results during the winter. Therefore we do little to no hunting during the summer. Some areas in the panhandle were hit hard by mange in the last few year(as seen on vol. II)and numbers were down quite a bit. Our numbers go up every year, but we tend to work harder each year also. I hope this year will show an improvment instead of a decrease. If I hunt much harder my kids may not recognise me. [Big Grin]

Todd

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit videos
110 hunts on 2 DVD's
www.texaspredatorpursuit.com

Posts: 181 | From: Weatherford Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2005 07:19 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, the folks from Utah ain't the only ones that ivaded Nevada. How about us California dudes that hunted the hell out of it in the 60s 70s and 80s, along with our friends from Arizona.

This is still going on, [Frown] plus Nevada has people coming in from all over the country beating the bushes for coyotes. No wonder the silver state don't have that many coyotes left on public land. Sure a guy can get lucky now and then, but it just ain't what it use to be. [Frown]

My point being, it's just not the guys from Utah that shot up the state. [Smile] PS, them Ut guys never did catch on how to night hunt lol [Wink]

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters