The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Knowledge Contest (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Knowledge Contest
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 14 posted September 10, 2005 06:03 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
The wife and I like to play a little game with the kids when we go for a ride in the mountains. The kids didn't go with us today, so I took pictures and thought I'd share our game with you, to see how you do.

We call it:

Name That Turd

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

[ September 10, 2005, 06:13 PM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 10 posted September 10, 2005 06:05 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
 -

-

-

-

-

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2005 07:32 PM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
All coyote turds except pic #11.
that one is coyote and a little pile of Raven crap!

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2005 07:44 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Sure, Steve, but how old* and what sex???

* - age of coyote, not age of turd.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Knows what it's all about
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted September 10, 2005 10:57 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,when i know i'm about to run short on gland lure,i will mix equal amounts of good gland lure and fresh coyote turd(one without seeds)it gives me twice the amount and works very well for me.I do the same with bobcat gland lure and fresh bobcat turds.

The coyotes feed on different seeds and fruits in Arizona...There is only one other animals turds i can think of that would come close to matching those and there to small for it(Bear)so i go along with ,Steves answere.

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2005 04:56 AM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
All I want to know is where is this place, I'd like to go there. Enough money laying around that a guy might get rich if he puts a little effort into it!! [Big Grin]
Although I did notice, that the one critter doesn't seem to like eating quarters, or at least it hadn't with-in the last 24 hours. But if a guy can shoot one of the other critters, it might be worth cutting open the stomach to collect the rest of the money! [Big Grin]

[ September 11, 2005, 04:58 AM: Message edited by: TRnCO ]

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2005 08:05 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
#'s 2,3 & 11 are not canine, and I don't think #4 is either.

Poop doesn't last long down here, come back in a few days and birds will have eaten every bit of it.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 10 posted September 11, 2005 09:20 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Not wanting to show my ignorance, I have not opined, but #2 & 3 sure look more like bear than coyote, to me? What are the chances on finding quarters next to all that poop?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31474 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Curt2u
Member # 74

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2005 09:40 AM      Profile for Curt2u   Email Curt2u         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not much of a "turdologist". 1, 5 through 13 look canine to me. 2-3 could be bear like Leonard said. 4-5 could be bobcat I guess but I'd say canine. Dunno. I need some footprints too. [Smile]

Maybe this is why I find bears when tracking coyotes. lol!

Posts: 236 | From: NW | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 11, 2005 09:50 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not either, but I have seen a lot of coyote scat with vegetable matter in it, primarily grapes or melons or mesquite beans.

The thing is, coyote poop seems to hold it's shape better than the above photos, and has a lot of slimy stuff in it.

Also, if birds are picking it apart, or vehicles running over it, or rained on when soft, etc.; that makes it real hard to figure out. #1 is a classic, for sure!

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2005 05:20 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Some of those [formed stools, with pointy ends] look to be coyote. I'd have to guess the others to be in the following order;

1. Coon
2. [Lost] banker, with a hole in his front right
pocket.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2005 08:13 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
2 Coon, 3. young deer or Goat, 6.Javelina. Send me back my lucky quarter.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2005 11:15 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, and #7 looks like whale shit.

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2005 12:47 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
I think no.3 is someones breakfast after examining no.2..prunes and total
Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2005 12:57 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
1 bobcat
2 Javelina
3 deer
4 coyote
5 coyote
6 Javelina
7 Javelina
8 coyote
9 bear
10 bear
11 bear
12 bear
13 bear

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted September 12, 2005 01:10 PM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim

Any hogs in the corral?

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Todd Woodall
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2005 12:20 AM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Emu,Emu,Jay,Emu,Jay,Jay,Emu,Emu,Jay,Emu,Jay,Jay+Emu???????

Todd

[ September 13, 2005, 12:21 AM: Message edited by: Todd Woodall ]

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit videos
110 hunts on 2 DVD's
www.texaspredatorpursuit.com

Posts: 181 | From: Weatherford Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2005 09:57 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Todd, that just reminded me of another thread, a while back.

I know it was Curt, up in Washington checking some scat, picking it apart or something? Then he noticed the toilet paper which had dispersed a few feet away. Ugh!

So, Tim. Do you think #4 or #5 could be illegals? Any toilet paper stuck to a nearby branch? [Smile]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2005 10:31 AM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
HEY!
Now why did Todd's post remind you of illegals?

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2005 02:40 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Todd, that there was funny, I don't care who you are. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2005 06:17 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Either Todd is right or Steve Craig.
I'll have to go with Steve. All coyote.
I'll see if I can pull up some photos of pink plop around watermelon fields, orange plop around cantaloupe fields, green plop from mesquite beans and black squirts near deadpiles. I have a booklet from Arizona Sonora Desert Museum that describes predator scat. The coyote scat is described as
"long cord with "Dairy Queen" twirl-tail..
3/4 inch in diameter..
omnivorous diet; hair, seeds.."

They missed it on all counts.

IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2005 06:28 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim. Do you have any idea how many Coyotes watched you take those pictures?.

--------------------

Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2005 06:43 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
No, but an old man and his wife who were stopped under a shade tree for lunch, watched me take a couple of them.

They gave me the weirdest looks as we drove by....

Nearly all of those pictures were taken with in a couple of miles of a mountains pass. My maps show it at about 7,000 feet. Vegetation was thick and the ground nearly vertical and rocky. Aren't all of the coyotes supposed to be down here in the flat, sandy lands of the valley at about 4,000'?

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Steve Craig
Lacks Opposable Thumbs/what's up with that?
Member # 12

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2005 07:40 PM      Profile for Steve Craig           Edit/Delete Post 
Nearly all of those pictures were taken with in a couple of miles of a mountains pass. My maps show it at about 7,000 feet. Vegetation was thick and the ground nearly vertical and rocky. Aren't all of the coyotes supposed to be down here in the flat, sandy lands of the valley at about 4,000'?

Not this time of year!
But wait a couple weeks and there will be coyotes coming to a sandy flat near you real soon. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction. - Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 442 | From: Cottonwood,Az, USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted September 13, 2005 07:44 PM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
I am still trying to figure out how Todd knows what Jay's scat looks like. Come to think of it I really don't wont to know.

--------------------

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters