The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Bugger Brown goes down!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bugger Brown goes down!!!
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 11:56 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Ronnie's story so much about Bugger Red, that a coyote I've been after for over a year was recently honored by me with the name Bugger Brown, mainly because that SOB has escaped my wrath twice now, unscathed. There are those occasional coyotes that just get under your skin, and in your head, and drive you so nuts that you just start knowing that they have to die. That's the way it's been with Bugger. Until today.

You might recall the story I told last year before season about the coyotes in the corn circle. I killed two betas, but never got closer than a 30-minute back and forth late one evening that resulted in a 400-yard miss by your's truly. Strike one.

After the season had come and gone, old Bugger Brown started eating lamb. Sixteen of them, in fact. Seeinspots and I headed out there one afternoon and after 30 minutes of work, managed to bring him into about 300 yards. After an impressive 300-yard miss, again by your's truly, Bugger Brown trotted off knowing he had humiliated me again. Strike two. I vowed that when we met again, he would die. There are two kinds of people in this world, as far as I'm concerned. Those you screw with, and coyote hunters.

Saturday night, I got the idea to go calling. I went out there and found the area already occupied by deer hunters. I pulled out and left, and last night, that little voice that compels us to get out there and keep trying told me today would be the day. I listened. It was.

I left the house after waking the kids for school and kissing the honey good-bye. The site is just south of the Abilene city limits and I'm headed west down a road that parallels the southern most street a half-mile from the sleeping residents' back fences. I see something to the right and look to find a dark brown coyote vectoring across the alfalfa to cross the road somewhere just about right where I'll be driving. There's only one coyote that dark, and it's Bugger Brown!

This is the field he was in as he headed home from grocery shopping in town all night. You can see the houses in the distance.

-

My first reaction was to stop and shoot that bastard, but there were, let's say, "safety issues" as far as shooting at town. Somebody would likely have complained. LOL So, I feathered the brake and ol' Bugger crossed the road about fifty yards in front of me, giving me the bad eye the whole time. Once across the road, he went into an uncut soybean field ,seen here...

-

and kicked in the afterburners trying to get into the oxbow riverbend you can see in the distance. It didn't work.

I slipped my truck into neutral and shut off the engine before depressing the parking brake and reaching for my rifle. This is coyote shootin', Kansas style. The door came open, I bailed out with the truck still rolling ever so slowly (it'll be alright), and shouldered my rifle. Ya know? I was concerned it might take some getting used to that thumbhole, but that gun went right into position and there, thru the glass, was Bugger Brown. He turned and sprinted. I gave him two woofs, and he stopped for a second to look back at me with that "what in the he..." look on his face. He gave me a half second too long.

The Howa went BANG! There was a satisfying WHOP! And Bugger Brown went DOWN! 120 yards and yet another happy Kansas farmer. Couple of 'em, in fact.

That's the first blood from that new stock and man did it feel good.

Here's ol' Bugger Brown where he needs to be - under my logo and front bumper...

-

He weighed in at just a hair over 36 pounds - a good, solid coyote. He had mange from midship back, and it seems the good Lord saw fit to give me the chance to put Bugger out of our collective miseries. Made my day.

On top of that, I got home and the phone rang. My realtor just got an offer from someone to buy my house - full asking price. Shit don't get no better than this. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile] What a day! Yahoo!!!

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Gerald Stewart
Knows what it's all about
Member # 162

Icon 14 posted October 10, 2005 06:15 PM      Profile for Gerald Stewart           Edit/Delete Post 
Great story. Congratulations on the coyote ....and the house. [Big Grin]

[ October 10, 2005, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: Gerald Stewart ]

Posts: 419 | From: Waco,Tx | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 07:11 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for sharing, Lance. That stock looks like these: http://www.reamerrentals.com/elkridge2.htm (?)

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 10, 2005 08:11 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Those are pretty close to the same design - actually exactly the same - and mine is also called a wildcat thumbhole stock, but mine was made by Richards Microfit out of California. (www.rifle-stocks.com/)

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 12:10 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Ya gotta love it when a plan comes together.......but, I suspect that you're going to come to miss that critter!!!

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 05:15 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably won't have time to miss him since I know for a fact he raised six pups on that den this spring. So, I figure, at best, I have his ol' lady and six little ragamuffins to get after. And, the neighbors want them thinned out now. I'm eager to see how taking him out of the equation will change the dynamic. I don't know how many pups, if any, succumbed to mange, but the neighbor to the east bumped a pair of pups out of his bean field Saturday night when cutting beans, and had seen a single further west that same morning. Either way, it gives me some "must kills" to tide me over until the fur primes up, and I only have to drive three minutes to be in the game.

Gerald, thanks. You know??? I had one realtor call me one night with six people wanting to see it over the following six nights. Man, did I fall for that one. You funny!!!

--------------------

Timberghozt
Knows what it's all about
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted October 11, 2005 05:37 PM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
Great story CDog..Patience pays off, plus a little bruised pride helps out..Great pic and story,enjoyed it..
Gene

--------------------
http://www.handloadersbench.com

Posts: 48 | From: Salado, Texas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters