The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Saying nothing at all...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saying nothing at all...
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 05:13 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
After I responded to the thread on coyote vocalizations, I got to thinking. (uh-oh, he's thinking again. This oughtta be good.) (Shut up.) Anyway, it seems that a lot of fellas like to ascribe specific intent to every damned thing a coyote says. Almost like every "word" out of their mouths is with the intent to say something meaningful.

Those of you that know me know for a fact that I say a lot of meaningless stuff - mostly just a lot of rambling. On and on and on...

These same guys sell these litanies of critically important coyote sounds that any well intending coyote hunter cannot be without.
Therefore, is there anyone else that thinks that maybe, just possibly, a lot of what coyotes say is just meaningless jibberish spurted to display elation, or anger, or maybe they just wanna hear themselves talk? Kinda like me? And that these digitally mastered sounds - from such diverse lists - are nothing but a collection of sounds that just one coyote uttered just one time when someone with a parabolic mic just happened to be nearby and caught it so they could sell it as the third most common and fifth most important vocalization any and every coyote ever made?

Or, am I just being a pampass know it all?

[ October 13, 2005, 05:50 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 05:51 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
True coyote language translates better into Spanish than it does English.

Coyotes speak more in general thoughts, English has too many exact words.

I really think that is why so many Americans are monolinguistic. We grew up with such an exacting first language, that a more general thought conveying language simply frustrates us to the point we give up.

[ October 13, 2005, 05:53 PM: Message edited by: Tim Behle ]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 06:03 PM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree with that theory, and I believe that a caller that can put more "Trash" talk into a series will be more productive.

However meaningless a coyote's slurred variation of a growl-bark-sneeze may be, I like the fact that it's REAL to a coyote unlike many of the things that blare from a Dan Thompson Howler.

P.S. In my case, having hunted with handcalls for years I could stand to hunt with 5 sounds on a remote caller. But hell, if you pay for 24 you may as well get 24!

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Sue and Mark Nami
Knows what it's all about
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 06:34 PM      Profile for Sue and Mark Nami           Edit/Delete Post 
Here if you try sounding like a coyote, you have every redneck yahoo within hearing distance grabbing a gun and a beer running your direction trying to pull their suspenders up.

--------------------
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough
good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke..1729-1797

Posts: 44 | From: east coast | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 06:39 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
If your gonna get the WT it doesnt matter what sounds you get your gonna be an expert over night.
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 06:59 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Lance, you pretty well nailed it. (hope you don't mind me posting on your thread [Big Grin] )
IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 13, 2005 08:12 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
No problem, Rich. Could you be a bit more vague?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 11:55 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
"Therefore, is there anyone else that thinks that maybe, just possibly, a lot of what coyotes say is just meaningless jibberish spurted to display elation, or anger, or maybe they just wanna hear themselves talk? Kinda like me?"
------------------
Cdog-911,
I should have known that sooner or later you would say something thatIagree with. [Smile]

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted October 14, 2005 01:07 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

It was only a matter of time.

[Smile]

--------------------

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted October 15, 2005 05:33 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
I have no clue what coyotes are [really] saying. But I do believe they curse me, when I'm upon them [Big Grin] .

They even lossened my L-front tire lug-nuts last Fall. Trying to take me out [Mad] . Coyote-te-cus, smart-assecus. Payback, draweth near [Big Grin] .

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters