The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Predator hunting boards and competition

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Predator hunting boards and competition
Timberghozt
Knows what it's all about
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 08:46 AM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
I read about this same thing on another board and opinions vary drastically with some eager to help and others who maintain a internal cligue with outsiders unwelcome.Do you fellas think all these predator hunting boards floating around are helping us as predator hunters or hurting us by introducing untold numbers of newbies to the sport with loads of free info???Myself ,I can`t really say.I started calling coyotes in 1991 as a way to keep myself busy in the off season when I wasn`t deployed with Uncle, and it turned into an addiction that I was unable to shake.I mainly concern myself with coyotes as opposed to other predators but..I remember the days when I could almost guarantee a coyote within a few stands but now every Walmart and its brother plying cheap mouth calls and electric jobs for newbies to grab and go.When I started I didn`t have a computer and information was not easily accessible on the sport.Even finding another hunter that did it seriously was and still is rare around here.Do you think we are hurting the sport or helping it by lending a helping hand to fellas eager for some "how to call yotes" help?No offense meant to you fellas who are taking up the sportand looking for info,just want to get an opinion on this.
Gene

[ October 16, 2005, 08:49 AM: Message edited by: Timberghozt ]

--------------------
http://www.handloadersbench.com

Posts: 48 | From: Salado, Texas | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged
timbertoes
Member # 604

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 09:05 AM      Profile for timbertoes   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
timberT calling TimberG....come in TimberG LOL, just had to do that.

Hey, if someone is a Yote caller wannabe in Texas....

and you dont have a lease.....

Call all you want, You aint gonna get a yote or not very many...

I call my lungs out and burned through a zillion elect caller batteries on Public Lands hereabouts, for 2 years (admittedly not long) and only ever called in 3. 2 of which stayed on the adjacent cattle ranch. Daytme, night time, same results.

[Frown] [Frown] [Frown] [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 20 | From: Van Alstyne, TX | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 09:07 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Timberghozt,
I would like to think that we are helping. The problem with message boards is trying to figure out which advice you read is actually sound, and that advice that is pure garbage. There are some good callers hanging out on this board. I guess that is why I keep coming back here now and then. Hey, did you ever meet Uncle Jay Nistetter? One heck of a good caller, but boy is he ever ugly.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 09:17 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Probably some truth to that? You would also have to include these guys making videos, and articles in the magazines, and specialized publications, such as T&PC.

It is urban sprawl, and posting more private property out of unreasonable fear of flying bullets.

A guy needs a place to get out and roam, and with the huge restrictions placed on "game" hunting these days, there is a natural tendancy to want to hunt something, anything!

Sometimes I think the future looks a bit bleak, but then again, that pretty much applies to every facet of society. Our tax money is being spent on wasting our childrens educational opportunity. There are a lot of recent college graduates that do not appear to have much of an education? That's just one example, maybe a stretch, but a lot of those kinds of things bother me. I do not envy the world that my children and grandchildren will grow up in.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Timberghozt
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 09:37 AM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey TimberToes,glad to meet ya..Timberghozt [Big Grin]
Around here there is very little public land except Corps of Engineers land around Stillhouse Hollow Lake.I hunt mainly on private land and calling is usually pretty good in the areas I hunt.I can see where it would be tough for a newbie to break into it without a lease here.Nobody is gonna let you hunt here for free,it does happen but it is very rare.I hunt free but it took me a long time of meeting folks with beef cattle and large tracts of land showing them that calling is effective and we can help with their nuisance problems without putting a bullet hole in one of their cattle.
I have never been up north in say Idaho or Wyoming where large open areas of public land exist.How intense is the number of predator callers in that area of the nation?With lots of land, it doesn`t seem to me there would be much problem with too many folks hunting?Again, I can`t say because I`ve never been there.Timbertoes pretty much sums it up for us..Leases and money keep our numbers in check here, plus there is not as much interest in it here with everyone wanting to take big whitetail bucks for their walls instead of blowing on calls after a yote... [Wink] [Roll Eyes]
Hey Rich..Never met the man but I thoroughly enjoy talking and listening to anyone that has an interest and knowledge of hunting predators..
Leonard,I hear ya.I hope my grandkids will have a place to enjoy a good sunrise from a stand but we are encroaching on everything ,everywhere and its not a given anymore.. [Frown]
Gene

--------------------

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 09:47 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Good topic,

Well, as a new guy caller. I've found some insightfull info on calling, firearms, ect. On this board & PM.

I've also hunted-[spot/stalked] coyote quite awhile. Which has aided me in [sifering] what is meaningfull & what isn't.

I have met in person a few guys. Whom I consider as friends.

Frankly, I enjoy taking a new-guy @ spot-stalking, out after coyote. Spot/stalking is a great passion of mine. I offer them everything, I've ever learned[as well as my mistakes]. They ride with me, hunting my area's as my guest[no-charge] [Cool] .

On the other hand....My "non-experienced" ie;[educated-guessing], are just that. Feel free, to sifer-on [Wink]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 02:12 PM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Helping new guys get involved in the sport is what will preserve the sport for our future... bring on the newbies, I want my grandkids to hunt and trap no matter how much competition they have.
Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Melvin
Member # 634

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2005 04:23 PM      Profile for Melvin   Email Melvin         Edit/Delete Post 
Timberghozt, I have to agree with Jrb..Lets look at it this way,if you was a politician running for office,you would want all the peoples votes you could muster.

We as predator callers,hunters,and trappers,need to bring in all the newbies we can to insure our sport will survive.

Without numbers we are a weak bunch fighting for what we love..politicians only listen when there is enough to listen to..The anti's would love for us to keep our mouth shut and not bring others into the sport.

I'm not sorry for having a[BIG MOUTH,]when trying to help others get interested in our sport.

Melvin

[ October 16, 2005, 04:25 PM: Message edited by: Melvin ]

Posts: 661 | From: PA. | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Timberghozt
Member # 707

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 04:25 AM      Profile for Timberghozt   Author's Homepage   Email Timberghozt         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey fellas..I appreciate your thoughts and replies.For the record,I am not against helping anyone that has a desire to learn at all.This subject came up on another message board and I wanted to get an opinion from the fellas here.I understand where you fellas are coming from on helping others so the sport will survive... [Wink]

--------------------

Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted October 17, 2005 05:49 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
I dont see that its hurt anything in my area at least.

I was already addicted to coyote calling long before I had a computer and it was a long while after I had a computer that I did a google search on coyote calling and discovered this wild world of predator calling boards. I have met alot of good, really good, people via these boards that I surely would have never met any other way. Some of these friendships go on past just the boards, such as other hunts together that I would have never got to do. Its been a blessing to me. Not to mention the help, not just with calling, but keeping up to date with new things and reloading and a whole host of things.

I dont know of anyone around here that visits any type of hunting board, let alone coyote calling boards. I have had several look at me stupid when I tell them Im driving 1500 miles one way to hunt with a bunch of guys I have never even seen in person. And, they cant figger out how I made all these friends and connections all over the country. Pretty cool stuff, if you ask me.

As for competition, when I first went calling as a boy with friends of the family, I knew of more people doing it then, than now. I know thats backward from what I hear on the boards, but its true. Actually, I tell alot of people that I coyote hunt and they immediately ask what kind of hounds I got. When I tell them I call coyotes, they either look at me like Ive lost my mind or tell me a short story of how they tried it or went with someone and it doesnt work very well. I like it like that. [Wink] I dont know a handfull of people around a 4 county area here that call coyotes and actually kill some. And this is a rural area. Word gets around. Most coyote killing, notice I didnt say hunting, is done by driving roads. Whether they use hounds and road hunt or just drive around and shoot. Same thing, just no dogs or CB radios involved.

For me the message boards have been a big bonus.

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
trippledeuce
PAKMAN
Member # 720

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2005 11:35 PM      Profile for trippledeuce   Email trippledeuce         Edit/Delete Post 
Good topic indeed!

If i had not been brought up and raised as I was, I dont know that I could have gotten involved with predator hunting to the extent that I have. Even with the helpful information that the forums provide, it would be very hard to be a beginner in the sport of predator hunting. It seems to me that the people that hunt varmints nowadays do it for the sport and passion of it, whereas in the late seventies and early eightys people were doing it for the money (in this part of TX, anyway). I was a small child during the late seventies, but remember dad and his friends skinning varmints in the little service station that he operated. For the last ten years I have spent most of my time in that small town and I would say that the percentage of predator hunters is 40% of what it was when I was a child. I gues what I'm getting at is that there seems to be fewer hunters than before. I think people tend to think the opposite because with the internet you see so many people doing what you are doing, and so many people wanting to do it also. It makes me happy to run into someone who has the same interest as I do, and even more so to take someone along. I just hope that some day I will feel experienced and confident enough to give sound advice to someone who wants it. To my dad, I say thanks for what you have taught me. And to everybody on all the predator boards, thanks for the info you have given and will continue to give to so many people that you may never even see their face.

Shawn Barbour

--------------------
he aint gonna sit there all day!

Posts: 3 | From: Abilene, TX | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2005 04:13 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Shawn,

How true. I felt like your words came out of my mouth. Especially the "Dad" part [Smile] .

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2005 06:51 AM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to hunt coyotes once in a while.....

Now I just sit in the house and read about it on the internet.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
ba_50
PAKMAN
Member # 735

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2005 05:49 PM      Profile for ba_50   Email ba_50         Edit/Delete Post 
Since the profit went out of furs, varmint hunting and trapping have lost lots of potential sportsman. Mostly just shooters that like to do it for it's own sake or something to do in the winter.
Posts: 6 | From: Illinois | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted November 20, 2005 06:40 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the New Huntmasters, Ba_50. Glad to have you on board.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters