The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » 28 coyote week

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 28 coyote week
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 07:22 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Got started Monday with 7, Tuesday 6, Wednesday 2, Thursday 4, and Friday 2 again. Generally I do not do coyote competitions but my Girlfriends brother was helping with the Western Nebraska Coyote Classic so I got roped in to doing the hunt this weekend. The other reason I did the hunt was because each team had a judge assigned to it to make sure no cheating was taking place. I like to hunt by myself so I entered the hunt as a single hunter and bought my self in the Calcutta. The rules state that the judges can carry a gun and shoot too if the team allows it. I told the judge he could take a shotgun if he wanted but not a rifle. He did for the first two stands but then left it back at the pickup for the rest of the hunt.

To make a long story not so long I killed 5 coyotes Saturday to lead the pack by 2 coyotes. It was 60 degrees and overcast with 30mph winds that day and was surprised that I killed anything because I use only hand calls. Before the wind picked up I pulled one out of my A$$ and dumped one at 518 yards. I over shot him with the first round and the shot only bumped him about 50 yards to the right. I adjusted my aim and broke a front leg with my second round. He spun a bit before he stopped and I got another round in him that put him down. As I approached the poor little basterd I saw that the second round broke his back leg and had to put a third one in him. It was a very ugly kill but as you guys know it happens from time to time.

Three of the other 4 kills were just textbook call-ins from about 120 to 150 yards. The last kill was a drive by. We were leaving the pasture and a pup ran across the two track about 50 yards in front of us. I got out and off handed him at about 50 yards. The only reason I got out was because the rules said NO shooting from a vehicle. I lost out on a chip shot that morning because of that rule.

Any way day 2 was a half of a day hunt and I only shot two. I hunted hard and called one pup in and shot it. The other coyote I laid down to call and after my second series one blew out from the draw a couple hundred yards below me and was heading up the hill on the opposite side. I barked and he slowed up and started bouncing so I knew he was about to stop. We had 30 mph winds that day as well so with a direct cross wind I put the bottom post of my duplex square on his hip and fired. The bullet took him right through the shoulder at 372 yards. Got lucky again. It was 10:30 am at that point and was time to go. We were 75 miles from check in so we hit the road.

My final tally was 7 coyotes and it was good enough for first place. I was also lucky enough to win the “heavy dog” prize with a 38.1lb coyote. That stroke of luck netted me a matching set of .17hmrs. They are the Savage, heavy barreled stainless laminates.
I only shot 2 pups this weekend. One was the 518 yard coyote and the other was the freebee. They weighed 18.12 and 18.4 pounds. The other 5 coyotes were all slightly larger than normal with a total weight of all 7 coyotes being 200lbs and some odd ounces.

I ended up with 2 first place trophies, two tee shirts, two embroidered camouflage jackets, two .17hmrs, and $800 ahead. I bought back 5 of my coyotes for $42 dollars, as the other two were mangy. They were nice coyotes so I will still end up ahead on them after I put them up.

Here are the pics.

-

-

-

-

-

-

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 6 posted November 09, 2005 07:48 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats there Q!!

Good Job!!

You probably killed more coyotes this week than I will this year. LOL. I wish I had the time and resources to do it like you and Cal and Blaine and a few other fellers do it. Thats great.

Congrats again.

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 08:03 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to go, Q. Keep that luck a-rollin' for a couple more weeks at least. And if you don't need both those .17's, I'll take one off your hands. It'd make a good doorstop if I lean it against the doorknob just right.

(Geez, I thought my deuce yesterday was worth some bragging rights. Now y'all went and 26-up'd me now. I can't win.)

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cal Taylor
Knows what it's all about
Member # 199

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 09:08 PM      Profile for Cal Taylor   Email Cal Taylor         Edit/Delete Post 
Good Job Q!
Contests are fun, but kind of frustrating in the wind. I like the pressure, and it's obvious you do also. I guess we're going to try out Elko for sure and maybe St. Francis this year too.

--------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.

FoxPro Field Staff Member

Posts: 1069 | From: Wyoming | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted November 09, 2005 09:32 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Get a hold of me if you guys decide to do St. Frances Cal. I have some leads you might want to fallow up on. I put SH onto some spots I scouted in CO but I am not sure he fallowed up on any. I have a plat map of Yuma County you can borrow if you are hunting that area. Yuma is good but I know of another place that has a hell of a lot more coyotes. Problem is it is 2 hours from St. Frances. If you don’t have to check in on day one it would be worth the travel.

Also I am half way there and on your way so if you need a place to crash let me know. It would give me an excuse to pick the place up. LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

GCrock
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 08:48 AM      Profile for GCrock   Email GCrock         Edit/Delete Post 
"We don't need no stinkin' partners!" Great job Q, I imagine you got some strange looks when you elected not to take a partner. "That dude thinks he can do it all by himself, boy is he in for a lesson." LOL And allowing the judge to tote a shotgun only--sounds like Barney Fife and only allowed one bullet! A little more mange in your area this year? I'm going to get after them when the orange army gets done chasing the deer varmints around. Keep the pictures coming.
Posts: 17 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Greenside
seems to know what he is talking about
Member # 10

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 10:30 AM      Profile for Greenside           Edit/Delete Post 
Q, Where is that classic held? Is it invitation only and are team numbers limited? Same weekend every year?

Thanks

Dennis

Posts: 719 | From: IA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Norm
Member # 240

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 11:15 AM      Profile for Norm   Email Norm         Edit/Delete Post 
Great job Q; you and that squeeker are a nightmare for those coyotes in those sand dunes.... Congratulations.

Norm

--------------------
Carpe Diem

Posts: 778 | From: Phx AZ | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 12:33 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys, the hunt was based out of Scottsbluff and is limited to 20 teams. Next year they are going to hold it in December. I think I am going to quit while I am ahead and be a rep next year. LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted November 10, 2005 07:49 PM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Great Shootin Q,

Way to whackem and stackem..

Congrats on the contest win.

Looks like the start of another great season.

Good Hunting Chad

Posts: 1627 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters