The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » November - how'd everyone do?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: November - how'd everyone do?
scruffy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2005 12:05 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
So on the eve of December I'm looking back at the month gone by and how I did. So how did you guys do???

I didn't get out as much as years gone by, being a first time dad (6 months now) and the wife not working much has really cut into my calling time. But I made it out, testing some things, did some tried and true things, and killed some coyotes. Here were my meager stats for the month:

Night (full moon, can't spotlight) - 2 stands - 0 coyotes
Day - Handcalls - 3 stands - 0 coyotes
Day - homemade ecaller - 5 stands - 3 coyotes called - 3 coyotes killed (2 by my new savage 22-250, one by a partner).

8 "day" stands and 3 coyotes total. 3 of those stands had the wind blowing 20mph or higher, but when you have no time you go when you can. You just never know.

For December I'll take the next three weekends off my "day" calling (Iowa gun deer seasons, 135,000 deer hunters, most with shotguns, many doing deer drives). So my next "day" time calling will likely be my 4 day Christmas weekend, Dec 23-26, as family time allows.

However, the full moon is Dec 15th, so anytime that week if we get a clear evening, snow or no snow on the ground, I plan to do some night calling.

So how did you guys do in November and what are your plans for December???

later,
scruffy

[ November 30, 2005, 02:02 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 07:13 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
I guess you guys are a tight lipped group when it comes to how your month went, since I know you aren't shy, LOL. [Razz]

I was just curious how everyone else was doing and thought I did pretty well considering the limited number of stands I'm able to do so I thought I'd share.

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Randy Buker
Member # 134

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 08:48 AM      Profile for Randy Buker   Author's Homepage   Email Randy Buker         Edit/Delete Post 
Scruffy,

The only calling I've done so far was in Kansas over turkey day weekend. 2 days of hunting, we called in 11 coyotes and killed six of them.

--------------------
Hunting the Red Fox

www.geocities.com/foxhunter_56308

Posts: 158 | From: Parkers Prairie, MN | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 10:38 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Been busy as a monkey with a 40 foot rope to play with!!!

Nov. was great. Good weather, lots of coyotes, found some new areas to call, the truck ran well, met a couple of callers while skinning,my shooting was decent, & fell in love twice on supply runs to town.

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7579 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 05:55 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
3 from 3 trips. [Embarrassed] [Embarrassed]
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 06:12 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
I was only on the rifle 2 mornings killed 7.
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 07:57 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Seems Ive been a highly underpaid guide for this month,meaning free:) Ive taken out my son-in-law, one of my old friends that has moved back in the area, and a couple buddies.
They have done quite well, as I sit on the side lines and watch. Ive got a grand total of three for the month of november.....pretty sad.
My saving grace is I prefer to hit them hard dec thru feb, and I usually have better responses then, so maybe I can save face for the rest of the season:)

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
canine
Member # 687

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 08:23 PM      Profile for canine   Email canine         Edit/Delete Post 
made a total of 16 stands in november and killed 4, out of 6 responders. can't wait till this comin weekend. our deer gun will be done and we shall be hunting every weekend thru march now!

--------------------
Hunting The East "back to Basic's" Part 1

Posts: 162 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 07:11 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Finally found my form thingy I printed up to fill out after each day to keep such numbers, got it updated, and my numbers so far are 66 stands called, 41 coyotes seen, and 17 kills. Many of my coyote sightings have been as pairs, trios, or quads. Have yet to get a true double this season, but I'm trying. And I just haven't gotten the hang of this rifle on runners. [Frown] Again, I'm trying. The good news is that every single that has shown up has been killed. [Smile]

I keep numbers for myself just to montior relative changes in overall numbers from season to season, but don't place much stock in comparing my figures with someone in AZ or TX, or in OH or PA for that matter. Just too many variables that most people do not consider when looking at those numbers. And even when looking at my numbers alone, the figures are misleading. Two seasons ago was a perfect example. I called 62 stands, saw 30 and killed 14. (fur prices were up, gas prices were tolerable, and the dog wagons were out in force.) A just-below-average year for me, especially if I don't leave my local zone for some "good hunting". And, if you do the math, that's one coyote called for every 2 stands. Sounds pretty good, huh? Then, you recall that one stand produced 8 coyotes seen, and another produced 5. I got two of those and scored another double when two came in together in the late season. Over just three stands, I saw half my total seen for the season. That means the remaining 15 coyotes were spread over 59 other stands of which several produced pairs and even a couple triples seen (not killed). Calling in packs really beefs up the averages. But 66-41-17 is my stats thus far this season. Not great but better than most around here.

[ December 08, 2005, 07:13 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters