The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » 8 coyotes

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 8 coyotes
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 06:18 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Just now at 7 AM while typing a reply to RangerClay, coyotes began yip-howling at the back wall - LOUD.
I ran out and jumped up on a feed barrel and onto the 6 foot block wall. The coyotes were in the sandy wash 5 yards from the wall. Eight of them, flushed like quail, all directions. I stood on the wall and watched them all circle around and join up again at the horse stables 150 yards west of me. One extraordinarily large adult that I haven't seen before.
I called in seven coyotes together last year, but it has been many years since I've seen eight coyotes together other than on dead-piles.

IP: Logged
NASA
Knows what it's all about
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 07:37 AM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Not too unusual, generally speaking. We're still pre-dispersal, so a litter of six plus mom and pop? Could have been a foray into the neighborhood to show the kids where the doggie snacks are. Cool, never the less, to have that many in the back yard. [Wink]
Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
varmit hunter
Member # 37

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 08:58 AM      Profile for varmit hunter   Email varmit hunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich, That was a group from Texas. They were on a pilgrimage to pay homage to master Poe.

--------------------
Make them pay for the wind.

Posts: 932 | From: Orange,TX | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 12:06 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me Tom, very unusual for this area.
Not pre-dispersal either. Some aggressive pups disperse in this area as early as the end of August. Full swing by Oct. 1st.

Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 07:19 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich I called in a group of 8 on Thanksgiving morning killed 3 that is the most Ive seen in one group.
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2005 07:50 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie, a triple from one group is rare, tell us how you did it.
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 05:14 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
8 coyotes together, not too unusual?? Geeze, I need to move west.
Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 04:11 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Most I ever seen in a group, was 7 [mid-January]. One had a gut ache & wouldn't hold still [I was trying to hep him] [Big Grin] .

Seen a group of 4 hunting together, 1-wk ago.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 05:07 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich that was my first ever triple Ive killed 3 on a stand twice before but they were not true triples. First stand of the morning had Foxpro 30 yds to my left had a 100x400 yard opening I was in the Northeast corner wind was from the southeast 30 seconds into the woodpecker had from the southwest corner 3 followed by 4 maybe 50yds behind and another trailing the last group at about the same distance turned the call of immediately and let them get a little closer they came very hard then I couldnt get them stopped as they tried turning to get towards the wind, first 3 winded me tried the 50 yard running shot and missed then they were scattering everywhere I turned the pup distress on and stopped one on the very edge of treeline 100yds shot that one looked towards call and the lone trailer was about to run over the call shut it off barked he stopped shot him at 30 yds looked up one more still in the opening started to head back where they came from barked he stopped 75 yds shot him. And that was the end of the fun.
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 05:10 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich that was my first ever triple Ive killed 3 on a stand twice before but they were not true triples. First stand of the morning had Foxpro 30 yds to my left had a 100x400 yard opening I was in the Northeast corner wind was from the southeast 30 seconds into the woodpecker had from the southwest corner 3 followed by 4 maybe 50yds behind and another trailing the last group at about the same distance turned the call of immediately and let them get a little closer they came very hard then I couldnt get them stopped as they tried turning to get towards the wind, first 3 winded me tried the 50 yard running shot and missed then they were scattering everywhere I turned the pup distress on and stopped one on the very edge of treeline 100yds shot that one looked towards call and the lone trailer was about to run over the call shut it off barked he stopped shot him at 30 yds looked up one more still in the opening started to head back where they came from barked he stopped 75 yds shot him. And that was the end of the fun.
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 05:53 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
Hawkeye, that story shows that you're full of bs. You called, a bunch came in, you shot 3. That is absolutely a triple. No way around it. [Big Grin] Good job.
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2005 08:18 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Eddie, did you get that on tape? That would make for some very busy video. Congratulations on a true triple.
BTW, where the hell were you during the campout? [Smile]

Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted December 03, 2005 05:22 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
No video out on my own to get some time behind the gun been on camera all year. Me and Mark were out hunting saturday morning planned on hunting are way up and being there saturday night I wasnt doing my best called it a day early. Ill see you for sure at the 3 club hunt.
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 09:51 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
I called in five on one stand Saturday... ties my old record from two years ago.

Don't worry kids: all five escaped unharmed. [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 07:00 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Frijoles Coyote man!!!! I've seen 4 fluffering around on 2 differet occassions. I've only ever called three at once (and seen them).

Once while hunting with "Q", he heard about a jillion at once and spotted about 1/2 a jillion but I think I might of day-dreamed seeing one of them. Dang it sucks being deaf. I don't consider myself blind but I have to admit, I thought "Q" was bull-pooping me when he nearly shouted to my location, "You mean you can't see them, they're about 3/4 of a mile out. The first one is running hard and the other is crippled."

That was the first time I'd ever seen coyotes come running to purely coyote vocalizations. You know, "Yip, Yip, Yaaroooo, Yip, Yip, Yaaroooo." And then the ever so subtle, "I yi yi that hurt...arooo...I yi yi that hurt...arooo"
LOL

[ December 05, 2005, 07:06 PM: Message edited by: Locohead ]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 05, 2005 09:02 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Salright Danny, most of us have never seen a truck hit a coyote and toss it up onto a snow bank.
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 05:24 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich,

I'd love for you to see that video. After the swear word shouted, you then just get video of the coyote running and running and running until it disappears in the distance. I thought it would make for a pretty cool ending of a hunting video.

lol

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters