The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » TPP/ Mirage wear hunt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: TPP/ Mirage wear hunt
Todd Woodall
Knows what it's all about
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 07:26 PM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, We finally got rested up enough to post a few pics. Last week we hunted with the fine folks of Mirage Wear camo. The chairman of the board, the General Manager and a few employees came down for a good ol west Texas predator hunt.

Everyone trickled in Wed. afternoon. We caught up a little and had a great meal to fill our bellies before the hunt. We started out the first night kinda slow and as soon as the calling really started to pick up so did the wind. By midnight it was blowing 30mph and it made it just a little chilly to say the least. We did manage a few and Tom got his first coyote. We had a double come in and one figured he didnt want to walk into the light so he swung wide, but the other trotted in to about 40 yards and Tom made a great shot on him. Here is Toms coyote right before the shot.
 -
Since the wind was whipping we decided to call it a night, get some rest and hit em in the morning. The next day we concentrated on some really sandy country that we had never called before. It was different that anything we had ever called, so we were exciting about the contrasts of terrain it would create on video. We Had a few dry stands then came up on a large sand bowl with heavy brush about 200 yards to the North. We set up on the grassy Southern hillside and placed the FX3 and Mini Extreme decoy out in front of us. We had a light breeze blowing from our left to right and expected a response from the thick brush in front of us. Well about 5 minutes into the Jack distress a coyote steps up on the dune to our left just out of our scent cone. He immediately saw the decoy beside the FX3 and charges in. He covered 150 yards of the dune and never took his eyes off of the decoy. He had his hackles up and was ready for some action. Well, Lets just say he wasnt disapointed.
 -
That night the calling really picked up and the coyotes were on the move. This coyote came to the baby rabbit distress, it is a very shrill high picked rabbit that we would start most of our stands with at low volume. I really liked that sound as it works great for a starter or a coaxer. This coyote came to about 40 yards and Derrik put him down for the count.
 -
One of the coyotes that responded had a noticable limp coming in and was favoring one of his back legs. Dave shot him so we could get a better look at it. :)I am not a trapper by any stretch of the imagination. This coyote had been in some type of trap and got out of it. You would think a snare would still be along for the ride, but once again I will leave this one up to you trappers out there.
 -
the last night we got a few calls in before the wind blew us out. This guy came 500 yards down a long two track. The wind was swirling trying to make up its mind what it wanted to do. When this coyote got to about 200 yards the wind changed in his direction. I was just about to tell Jay to shoot when it changed back to our left. We coaxed him in a little more and when he got to 100 yards I figured our luck was about to run out so I gave Jay the go ahead.
 -
Jay winged him and the coyote took off running twords us and to our left. Derek dropped him on the run with a load of 3 1/2 inch Dead Coyote at 52 yards. He might of mentioned that yardage a few times so I am pretty sure it is correct. [Smile]

All in all it was a great hunt. We called in 60 coyotes and they put 23 of them in the truck. The air is so much more dense in the north that they had to get the kinks worked out shooting in this thin West Texas air. :shrug: That sounds good dont it. Here is a pic of all involved and the coyotes that entertained us.
 -

Now you can see why we needed so much sleep. I am still tired.

Take care,

Todd

--------------------
Texas Predator Pursuit videos
110 hunts on 2 DVD's
www.texaspredatorpursuit.com

Posts: 181 | From: Weatherford Texas | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged
Jay Nistetter
Legalize Weed, Free the Dixie Chicks
Member # 140

Icon 1 posted December 06, 2005 10:27 PM      Profile for Jay Nistetter   Email Jay Nistetter         Edit/Delete Post 
The one dancing across the moon is just too cool.

You're way too young to be tired.

--------------------
Understanding the coyote is not as important as knowing where they are.
I usually let the fur prime up before I leave 'em lay.

Posts: 1006 | From: Arizona | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 05:58 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Good Lord, Todd. Those are amazing numbers. Of couse you've ruined the Mirage Wear folks. Nothing is ever going to compete with this hunt, unless they book with you again.
IP: Logged
Todd Woodall
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 08:49 AM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jay, just wait until you see that one on video. You will roll on the ground kicking and screaming. I know we did. I dont know how much sleep we got on that trip but it wasnt much.

Rich, Yeah they are ruined. They hunted with us last year also. This year blew that hunt away. Should have been at least 10 more in the truck. Oh well you cant hit them all. I shot one time to finish one off. I am ready to get back behind the gun. My finger just now stopped twitching. You got that video done yet?

--------------------
110 hunts on 2 DVD's

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 14 posted December 07, 2005 09:12 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
WOW!!!

Thanks for the writeup and the pics! The only time I have a hunt like that I end it well rested, because the only time I have a hunt like that I'm in a deep sleep dreaming it! [Razz]

After a story like that I think I'm going to have to move to Texas. [Wink]

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Todd Woodall
Member # 439

Icon 1 posted December 07, 2005 09:38 AM      Profile for Todd Woodall   Author's Homepage   Email Todd Woodall         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey scruffy, That sand bowl coyote got REAL close to the decoy. Got to love em. It was a great hunt and those guys had raw trigger fingers by the time they left. I am ready for a little shooting time myself.

Take care,

Todd

--------------------
110 hunts on 2 DVD's

scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 01:08 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, I think my decoy is holding out on me. The coyote that came in when I used a buddies PS had that coyote spell bound.

To hopefully improve mine I gave my PS decoy a hair trim around the eyes so he can see. I also trimmed his tail up a couple inches, it had gotten rapped around the dowel a couple times stopping the bobbing motion.

Unfortunately after this past week, with the lows well below 0 most nights the ground is likely rock hard. I'll try my screwdriver, see if it can make a hole in the frozen tundra for the dowel. Or I might have to take my cordless drill in the calling bag, LOL... [Wink]

I tried getting an old fashion hand drill at walmart, menards, home depot, etc, nothing! None! I said I wanted a hand crank drill and they all looked at me odd and asked "corded or battery?". No I said, hand power, crank, no electricity. Just got blank looks back like I was crazy for wanting one. Oh well... I'll get one at a farm auction one of these days.

later,
scruffy

[ December 08, 2005, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 04:31 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
very impressive numbers...how many days and nights was that?
Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Jeff Thomason
Member # 691

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 04:55 PM      Profile for Jeff Thomason   Author's Homepage   Email Jeff Thomason         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Jeremy, that was 4 nights, but 2 of them we only hunted half nights. So I guess it was actually 3 nights, and about 6 day stands.

--------------------
Predator Pursuit
4 Videos Day and Night
www.predatorpursuit.com

Posts: 21 | From: Weatherford, Texas | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
KevinKKaller
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted December 08, 2005 05:30 PM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you got your breth back yet. Looks lik fun.
Good hunting Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters