The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » So where would you set up?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: So where would you set up?
Rob Love
Knows what it's all about
Member # 723

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2005 03:12 PM      Profile for Rob Love   Email Rob Love         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is a map of an area. The transparent red is permissable to hunt on. The dominate wind comes from the north west and currently out of the west.
So where would you set up? Why?
 -

Posts: 24 | From: TX | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2005 03:36 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
In the NW quarter. About 100 yards from the road there is a bush set up next to a two track. I'd set the call at the big bush about 75 yards south, and watch for the coyotes to come down the fence row between the NW and NE quarters.

I'd call from there because I'd rather call with the wind at my back, than have to walk a half a mile to put the wind in my face.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted December 11, 2005 04:17 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd walk in a quarter mile to the east on the north boundary line of the shaded area, then south to where the two-track intersects the topo line. Probably set myself up at that bush about 150 yards east of the quarter-mile line and call to the east. Like Tim, I'd rather not give up all that area to get the wind at my back. But, more importantly, I consider the callable area to be only marginal compared to the unshaded area to the east where all the trees are seen.

No matter how you hunt it, the wind will be a factor to be dealt with and the vast majority of your targets will be near or all downwind of you, very much like my typical calling areas. Sometimes you have no choice but to call with the wind behind you. Like it or don't call. In this instance, I consider my main target source to be the unshaded area east of the half-mile line and will set myself up to bring targets out of that area onto the shaded area where I can get a shot.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters