The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Huntmasters Question:Do you wear camo?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Huntmasters Question:Do you wear camo?
Saddlemaker
Knows what it's all about
Member # 321

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 06:03 PM      Profile for Saddlemaker           Edit/Delete Post 
If you don't wear camo while predator hunting, why, what is your reasoning? What color clothing do you wear.If you always hunt with camo how much of a handicap do you think not using camo would be? Is your rifle and scope camo'd?

I'm curious to see how many agree or disagree with my experience's.

[ June 08, 2006, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: Leonard ]

Posts: 15 | From: Tucson, Arizona Territory | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 06:36 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I wear full camo including face mask and gloves when calling. I feel that an uncovered face scares the hell out of most critters. And an uncovered white hand, attracts attention with the movement of each finger.

My rifles however, are not camoed and most have Stainless steel barrels. I try to never move the rifle into position when the coyote is looking. The only thing he sees is the muzzle end. Which is less reflective than the scope lens just above it. I can't cover the lens, so why cover the barrel?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 07:02 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Like Tim, I'm cammied from head to toe. If you hunt an area where the coyotes are often well within the hundred yard marker, it's very helpful.

Now, if you're Q, you go out there looking like a farmer because even a coyote can't see you at the ranges that boy shoots. And kills.

[ January 05, 2006, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: Cdog911 ]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 07:02 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Unless you need for some reason to call them too less than 50 yards camo is not needed at all. The catch 22 with camo is that most all clothing that is made and designed for hunting is camouflage. The best stuff going is a ghilly (spelling?) suit or that leafy-wear stuff that looks like a poor mans ghilly. LOL They will break up the human outline. Movement and my outline is the only thing I worry about.

Movement is #1 on my list. I have killed way to many coyotes with out a stitch of camo on to believe any different. I do not wear gloves or a facemask either.

It is funny how people buy up all of the newest and hottest camo to go deer hunting and then have to cover it up with a blaze orange clown suit! LOL Kind of defeats the principle doesn’t it? Or the guys that where camo and then set in a big box on stilts, or in a duck blind or a pop up blind or that are 20 feet above a deer trail. Almost ever PH in Africa I have ever hunted with or seen on T.V. is in shorts with a brown or green top. No you don’t need camo. I am fast approaching 100 coyotes this year and I have killed every one with out any camo at all. I don't think I wore any camo last year eather? Maybe some BDUs a time or two?

Camo doesn’t hurt anything but it’s effectiveness in undoubtedly overrated.

Good hunting.

Q,

Posts: 617 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 07:32 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
What makes me laugh is camo flashlights and camo ball point pens, camo radio, camo calls. you know the sort of thing that you wouldn't want to be hard to find, if you dropped it?

I usually wear camo, but I don't think it is mandatory.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 07:47 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Q,

Why in the hell would you want to kill a coyote at 100 yards or more, if you call him into 25 yards and not have so far to walk?

Sounds to me like you could put on some camo, and save yourself a lot of walking. [Wink]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 08:01 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim I would call them to 25 yards but they are just too darn fuzzy in my 36-power scope!! Duh! LOL

Good hunting.

Q,

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted January 05, 2006 08:03 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Tim,

I know you addressed that question directly to "Q". But let me give you what I think is atleast a portion of the reason (atleast sometimes).

I know that after "Q" shoots that coyote at 100 yds. He walks to the coyote and either skins it, stashes it by an easy to find landmark, or hooks the coyote on the "Q" strap hanging under his arm, and keeps walking forward. He might head back towards the truck after another jillion miles or so. LOL [Smile]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 05:37 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
In snowfly, I wear all White. Including my rifle & sling.

Fall, I wear a full harvest color ghilli suit.

IMHO, depends on what the coyote's in your territory [hone-in on] or are accustomed to. These coyotes around me, will pick you out @ great distances. If your are not camo'd, quiet or moving.

Same coyotes, during harvest or hay baling. Will follow right behind a tractor. Picking off rabbits or field mice.

One farmer told me. A coyote grabbed a cottintail, right by his tractor during corn harvest. Minutes later, the farmer parked his tractor up by the field driveway. His wife brought him lunch.

Coyote brought the rabbit over to within 50' of the farmer & his wife. Coyote, sat right there in the wide open. Eating the rabbit & watching the farmer's.

-

-

I have a lighter colored ghilli suit now. Looks like CRP grass & harvest corn.

[ January 06, 2006, 02:35 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Joel Hughes
SPECIAL GUEST
Member # 384

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 06:37 AM      Profile for Joel Hughes           Edit/Delete Post 
To me it has to do with confidence. I wear camo because, in my mind, it makes me feel the coyote has less chance of seeing me. It gives me confidence, and that helps me kill more coyotes.
Posts: 145 | From: texas | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 07:03 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
IMHO camo is over rated and even the best camo doesn't "breakup" your outline at a distance over 20 yards. Beyond that (and possibly closer) if you're wearing a green based camo the "high definition" blends together and it looks like a shade of green. If your wearing the same camo head to toe your entire body is the same shade of green you still have the outline of a human. IMHO of course. [Wink]

When I hunt, deer/turkey/coyote/small game/etc, I try to mix up the colors. Most of the winter I wear insulated dark brown carhart bibs over my jeans. They're warm, stand up to thorns and barb wire very well, and last a long time. When it warms up I have a pair of light brown uninsulated bibs I sometimes wear or I'll wear advantage timber pants.

For my upper body I do one of two things, depending on the temps. If the temps are cold I wear my dark brown carhart coat with a fleece bow hunting realtree hardwood HD vest (very quiet vest, makes arm movement almost silent, doesn't stand up to thorns or barb wire though...). The hardwooods HD is a grey based cammo so the grey breaks up my dark brown outline, be it 10 feet or 200 yards. When it's warmer I wear a light weight bow hunting camo coat (bow hunting upper body wear is quiet and made for comfort and manuverability) and a dark brown carhart vest. Again, it breaks up my outline into smaller shapes to anything looking at me from 10 feet to 200 yards.

For head covering if it's cold I wear a warm insulated waterfowling hat with a short 2" bill (I haven't found the name of it, Leonard thought a "Jones cap" maybe, I'm still looking...). If the temps are really low I put an insulated dark brown stocking cap over it or if it's really cold I wear a bow hunting fleece camo hood over it (and sometimes the hood and the stocking cap over the hat). If it's warmer I wear a bowie hat. As Rich pointed out in another thread a hat with a long bill, like a baseball cap, is like waving a flag around when you move your head. The bowie is best because with the bill going all the way around the outline of it doesn't change much when your head turns. But when my ears are so cold they are going to freeze off I wear the insulated hat with the 2" bill, it's a short flag, but helps (I believe anyway) keep the sun from glinting off my glasses. With the stocking cap over it the bill is only 1" exposed.

All that said, I've been caught with some free time, gun and e-caller bag or atleast a handcall or two in the truck, and be near somewhere I have permission (or I stop and get permission and cold call), and go out and call a coyote. My last coyote kill I was wearing tennis shoes, blue jeans, long sleeve flannel shirt, a ball cap, with the sun behind me. The female came slowly in and never acted like she saw me. Just move slow when they can't see you or when they are moving. When they are stopped don't move.

Movement, IMHO, is 99% of being detected, camo is 1%.

So don't fall into the trap that "I'm wearing camo, he can't see me." and then move when he's not moving or not sitting perfectly still while on stand. He'll see you move and you'll probably be busted.

later,
scruffy

[ January 06, 2006, 08:18 AM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheHuntedOne
Member # 623

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 08:41 AM      Profile for TheHuntedOne   Author's Homepage   Email TheHuntedOne         Edit/Delete Post 
I hunt in the east, and most camo is a detriment to where I hunt, especially the green camo that you see in stores. If I am sitting on the ground, unless I sit in a patch of bushes or ferns, everything around me is black, brown and shades of gray. I like to lean against a tree, not have to sit upright with a bush behind me. I usually sit longer so I like to have something to lean on.

I usually wear a Ghillie Suit when I am on the ground and it has been modified to blend with the ground debris around me, More browns. tans, gray and black., and in winter I have a white Swiss Army Poncho and a pair of white scrub pants that go over my wool pants and coat, but I often wear the ghillie too because not much changes at ground level except the snow on the ground.

When I hunt out of a tree stand, then I wear Predator Camo, either the Spring Green if there are leaves on the trees, or the Fall Brown or Fall Gray. These are coveralls that slip right over what ever I am wearing. Even if you are elevated here, the ground is rolling and not at all flat. A coyote that is 50 yards away and on a small hill or coming up a draw will be almost on eye level with you. The Predator Camo in the tree stand really works well for me. I imagine ASAT or NatGear would work as well too.

Most shots here are close range unless I am in a tree so hiding movement is important. I also wrapped my shooting sticks with a Rifle Rag from Bushrag and they act as a small blind too.

Al
THO Custom Game Calls

--------------------
The On Line Resource For Custom Call Makers

THO Game Calls

Posts: 266 | From: New Hampshire | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
bigc
Member # 777

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 09:15 AM      Profile for bigc   Email bigc         Edit/Delete Post 
Camo is a must!!!!! Without it, the neighbors will find you way too easy after you kill their cats!!!

C

Posts: 32 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
UTcaller
NEVADA NIGHT FIGHTER
Member # 8

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 09:51 AM      Profile for UTcaller   Email UTcaller         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Q.

Camo is very overrated.I haven't wore camo for years,and it doesn't seem to stop the coyotes from coming in,in fact the other day I wish i'd have been wearing orange because I had one that about ran me over.LOL Like Q said MOVEMENT(lack of) is the number one key to not being seen.That being said My wife did buy me a nice Camo jacket(wool,outfitter camo)that I will wear in the winter now for calling ,not because of the camo but because i'm becoming kind of a wuss in my older age.The carhart jacket doesn't kind me as warm as it use to. [Roll Eyes] LOL

Posts: 1612 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 14 posted January 06, 2006 10:27 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's about the only negative, so far. A coyote may run over you, wearing camo. I belong to the camp that feels that it "can't hurt".

Don't forget, it depends on the amount of cover, in your area, and whether you are hand calling, or using a remote machine. The remote located machine will allow you to get away with a little head movement, and the absolute need to be concealed, head to foot. They say that Higgins camos the soles of his boots? That seems a little extreme?

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31449 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 10:55 AM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I have come to believe that camo is more important when calling the relatively thick cover, where predators will be spitting close by the time you see em. Most important is to cover shiny wrist watches, wedding rings, your white face and hands. Best camo is probably the new leafy wear stuff, but any old bland color will work just fine. I do feel that white is a big no-no except during winter snow cover, and black is just as bad over snow as white is without the snow.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Saddlemaker
Member # 321

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 12:13 PM      Profile for Saddlemaker           Edit/Delete Post 
Q,
Do you use hand calls exclusively or electronic. If you say both which call do you usually start with.

I've been using full camo with hand calls but am going to start using electronic. I'm thinking camo is less important with electronic as the animal will be concentrating on the source of the sound which will be at least 25 yards distant. I totally agree that movement is BAD. My triple duece and scope are camo'd.

Posts: 15 | From: Tucson, Arizona Territory | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged
bigc
Member # 777

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 12:46 PM      Profile for bigc   Email bigc         Edit/Delete Post 
UT,

I got one of those warm and cozy wool snow camo jackets too.

I mostly wear camo for the comfort factor. I find those 6 pocket pants to be really comfortable, more so than denim. But that is just me.

You know, then there's the fact that camo looks cool!

C

Posts: 32 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Q-Wagoner
FREE TRIAL MEMBERSHIP
Member # 33

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 01:46 PM      Profile for Q-Wagoner           Edit/Delete Post 
I use hand calls only saddlemaker.

Good hunting.

Q,

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 06, 2006 01:47 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Has or does anyone know of "actual lab testing" of coyotes. As to whether they see all colors or specific color hues.

[Our German Shepherd couldn't see "Blaze Orange or Dark Blue"]

We have a Border Collie now. She see's all colors. [Eek!] Even a chunk of Gray snow on a White snow drift [Cool] .
---------------------
Also, how about any [scientific/lab] testing on visual,scent or hearing...testing of coyote's?

[ January 06, 2006, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters