The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Place your bets

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Place your bets
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 02:16 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Whose going to win?

Red-tailed hawk vs western diamondback rattlesnake...

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/video/asx/051116_predator_video.asx

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
bigc
Knows what it's all about
Member # 777

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 02:26 PM      Profile for bigc   Email bigc         Edit/Delete Post 
Is it a natural situation? If so I say a draw! The hawk will swoop in snatch up the snake, inflicting it's damage. However, the snake will strike while in the air gettting venom into the hawk killing it in the end. The snake will be dropped and sustain fatal wounds upon impact witht he ground?

C

Posts: 32 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
bigc
Member # 777

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 02:29 PM      Profile for bigc   Email bigc         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang!!!
Posts: 32 | From: Utah | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 04:29 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
I see hawks carrying snakes quite often during the summer.

I'm not sure if they are red-tailed hawks or if they are even packing rattlesnakes, no doubt about it though hawks kill and eat snakes.

I guess I'll have to check out the link?

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 06:53 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Watch the clip, then ask yourself a question...

Did that hawk possess that ability - the matador - when it hatched, did it learn thru observation, or did it learn from personal experience?

Wouldn't it stand to reason, no bigger than an RTH is, that a personal run-in with a rattler would likely be fatal? Makes you wonder if this hawk learned this behavior. Or not.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted January 10, 2006 06:57 PM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a cool video.
Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Don kyHOtee
PAKMAN
Member # 786

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 12:24 PM      Profile for Don kyHOtee           Edit/Delete Post 
Impressive.
I wonder how many times it ends up the other way?

Posts: 5 | From: TEXAS | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
NASA
Member # 177

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 01:02 PM      Profile for NASA           Edit/Delete Post 
Rarely. Most buteos are good at catching snakes. However, they don't normally swoop down and snatch it from the ground. They are a little more calculating than that. Whether a rattlesnake or a gopher snake, the technique is generally the same. The wing feathers are used to induce a strike. The bird snatches the snake behind the head with a lightning fast foot strike. A quick bite behind the head severs the vertebrae. The bird flies off to its "butcher block" and enjoys its meal.

A young, inexperienced bird may take a strike from a rattler, but it is almost never fatal. The thick layers of feathers almost always deflect a chest or flank strike. The scales on the legs serve the same purpose. Hawks seem to know their limitations and stick to prey small enough to handle without too much risk.

Actually, a red-tail is more likely to suffer injury from an encounter with a jackrabbit, than from a rattlesnake.

[ January 12, 2006, 01:10 PM: Message edited by: NASA ]

Posts: 1168 | From: Typical White Person | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 12, 2006 02:36 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't even know how to spell, "quetzalqueatal" The Mexican bird of legend. However, the first time I saw a hawk flying with a snake, that is what I thought of, and damn near didn't make the next curve!

Welcome to the New Huntmasters, Don Quixote de la Mancha. Glad to have you on board.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters