The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Is anybody actually killing coyotes? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Author Topic: Is anybody actually killing coyotes?
onecoyote
Knows what it's all about
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 03:39 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
I know I've been quiet for a time, but now I'm back in all my splinder lol. [Roll Eyes] Who in the heck has been killing coyotes besides Q. I don't want to hear numbers, I want to see pictures.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Posts: 893 | From: Walker Lake Nevada. | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich
2,000th post PAKMAN
Member # 112

Icon 12 posted January 21, 2006 04:44 PM      Profile for Rich   Author's Homepage   Email Rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Danny,
I am trying to catch up with ***** Anderson, so I went out and killed 93 coyotes this week.

--------------------
If you call the coyotes in close, you won't NEED a high dollar range finder.

Posts: 2854 | From: Iowa | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 05:32 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Around here, you'd have to kill one coyote, then shoot it 92 more times. [Eek!] [Mad] [Eek!]

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 05:39 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I've kill three kit fox in the last two days. Does that count?

I called in one coyote this morning. SOB backdoored me. Never got a shot. Just suddenly realized that he was standing there, about 10 yards away looking at me.

I hate it when that happens!

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 06:22 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
This is actually my favorite time of year,late Jan and Feb. Ive been doing real well last two weeks. I had a guy from Sweden who I met over on that other board (PM), come out for two days two weeks ago, went out for fox in the Mts, and got skunked. Next day we went for coyotes,and called five, he killed three. Ive been out almost every free day and been hammering them. Went out this morning, made six stands and only had one dry one. Called five coyotes, killed four, so I was quite pleased. Funny trend last three weeks, all of the coyotes Ive shot have been male except for one female, go figure?
Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 07:57 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Dang Vic, Save some for me will you?

I made 4-5 stands this morning and only saw the one. Never even had time to get the safety off before it was gone.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 08:12 PM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Pictures, pictures....I want to see pictures lol.

--------------------
Great minds discuss ideas.....Average minds discuss events.....Small minds discuss people.....Eleanor Roosevelt.

Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted January 21, 2006 10:23 PM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok Danny here is a picture. You have likely already seen it though. [Wink] [Big Grin]

-

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 03:35 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
SOOooo, thats...who you are Bryan [Eek!] . Nice mess-o-coyotes [Cool]

I'm going out this am. Finally got some decent snow. Won't last long, so I intend to hunt hard the next few days.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 06:10 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
AZ-Hunter,

Mike and Shawn came by Friday night, and said that this had been the worst week of calling that they have ever had in this Valley.

What are you doing different than the rest of us?

Did you go out and buy one of those Wildlife Technologies callers?

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

onecoyote
Member # 129

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 07:33 AM      Profile for onecoyote           Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan J, whos the old guy on the quad? Is that Rich with part of his 93 coyotes? [Big Grin]

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 07:58 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
That's onecoyote in the above pic.

Tim, be sure and say "hi" to Shaun and Mike for me.

I'm headed for AZ. See ya, LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31465 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 08:50 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, it's the same across the state. Yesterday was the annual Multi-Club Hunt. Four clubs were represented including the Tucson Club. I don't know how many attended the check=in. One hell of a lot considering that it was held 2 hours north of Phoenix. The parking area looked like the lot at Wal-Mart.
No cats were turned in, only 2 fox and 20 coyotes were turned in. We turned in three coyotes, all were mature males and came in to howls and mating yipes, what Ronnie named "Estrus Chirps". All were oozing and the youngest one, a 2 year old, already had that strong rank odor to him.
Everyone said that they just weren't coming in to prey distress. Eddy Hawkins turned in 4 from the Tucson area. I don't know what sounds he used on his Foxpro. Maybe he will tell us. Eddie?

IP: Logged
JeremyKS
Member # 736

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 10:00 AM      Profile for JeremyKS   Author's Homepage   Email JeremyKS         Edit/Delete Post 
Well while everybody is at it I will tell how bad it is in KS. I went out yesterday with fresh snow on the ground (only about 1 inch) I made 6 sets and had 2 come in. The first one came in to about 30 yds but I could not see him at all, I was sitting on a rise but in grass that was about 3.5 feet high(dang gov. needs to allow grazing, but anyways). The only thing I knew was something was coming at me from my back and it was moving quick judging by the sound it was making coming through the ice covered grass. That will make your heart speed up for sure. I decide the only way I’m going to do this is by standing up, so I stand up with my shotgun in hand and by now I can see it’s a coyote and it’s leaving so I shoot with the shotgun with no luck. He came in to coyote talk and coyote distress sounds. The second coyote must have seen my pickup because he was leaving by the time I saw him. So Kansas is pretty dead right now but this could be also that I am trying to call coyotes that have been shot at many times by now since I have been hunting public ground.
Posts: 369 | From: Texas panhandle | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Bryan J
Cap and Trade Weenie
Member # 106

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 10:10 AM      Profile for Bryan J   Email Bryan J         Edit/Delete Post 
Yea, that was an attempt at humor. Nice pile of coyotes onecoyote!

I haven’t been out for two weeks now. I was planning to go out today but didn’t want to white knuckle it over the snow and ice, the drive would have me all wound up and that isn’t what it is all about for me. Maybe I can get my corn moved this week and get back after them.

This is the only picture I have of the last coyote I killed, my partner called her up with a combination of howls, coyote distress, and rabbit distress. She is mixed in there with all the other contestants’ animals somewhere. I’m the second silhouette from the left sorry for the poor lighting.

-

Posts: 599 | From: Utah | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged
2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 10:40 AM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Ok...So onecoyote is the same as Billy The Kid? [Confused] I'm starting to have flashbacks.
--------------------

edit; For another "nothing hunt". I should've know better. Slight Fog/high humidity [Mad] this am. Visibility to 3/4 mile.

Can't recall EVER spotting one laying/out in these conditions. My addiction has taken over my better judgement...Need some [reality]meds.

[ January 22, 2006, 10:44 AM: Message edited by: 2dogs ]

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
KevinKKaller
Member # 559

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 11:43 AM      Profile for KevinKKaller   Author's Homepage   Email KevinKKaller         Edit/Delete Post 
A frend and I went out yesterday in some vary hard called country neer my house. Nothing till about 11:30 I called with dog vocalls and set the fox pro out with crow sounds took 15 min but we got a pair to respond. Thay charged in Thay stoped 10 and 20 yards infront of my pard Gary laid out the old male almost no teath in his mouth. we wear backdoored on the next stand no shots fired. We will see what next weekend brings. Good hunting Kevin

--------------------
Maker of K-Kalls

Posts: 126 | From: Idaho | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 12:31 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Tim:
Only thing different Im doing, is Im not calling in this valley any longer. The valley is so damned shot over,and run over, it disappoints me to no end,a pity, compared to what it was several years ago.
As far as sounds, you know me, no howling,no estrus chirps or penile peeps, just rabbit in distress. I sold the ole WT, and dearly miss the cottontail distress they had, now I use a fox pro, which doesnt have a real good cottontail, but DAAs jackrabbit is my "go-to" sound de jour.
Ive called and killed more coyotes in the last two weeks, than in the last three months. Two hours any direction will get you into coyotes Tim, but this damned valley is a dead zone, I swear.

Posts: 1629 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 12:58 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Tim, the valley is shot over, run over with rabbit in distress. Try some coyote chatter, whether estrus chirps, penile peeps or pussy purrs and you won't have to drive 2 hours in any direction. [Smile]
TRnCO
FUTURE HALL OF FAMER
Member # 690

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 03:33 PM      Profile for TRnCO   Email TRnCO         Edit/Delete Post 
No pics. to share, BUT Friday we did 4 sets and managed to kill one female, used what could be discribed as pup yips or excited feeding yips only! We could actually see that coyote at about 600 yards, and she came right in after just one series. There was a second coyote, but he/it didn't commit well and avoided even getting shot at! I got smoked yesterday, saw two on the way out to go calling, where I couldn't hunt of course. Then we called in 4 this a.m.,(two pair) started each set with yips again and one series of rabbit distress and that was all that was needed. Killed both females, no sign of them being in season yet!!

--------------------
Is it hunting season yet? I hate summer!

Posts: 996 | From: Elizabeth, CO | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Hawkeye
Member # 216

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 05:32 PM      Profile for Hawkeye   Email Hawkeye         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich we called with hand calls until last few stands then used Fox Pro with woodpecker. Started out with 2 Howls on every stand that we used hand calls, killed a double with just the howls then 5 seconds of pup distress on one stand, and about 10 seconds of pup after the howls got a single on another stand. Fox Pro called 1 single.
Posts: 71 | From: Tucson,AZ | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 07:05 PM            Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Eddie, pretty much in line with what everyone else reported in the central part of the state.
Bill
Member # 49

Icon 1 posted January 22, 2006 10:35 PM      Profile for Bill           Edit/Delete Post 
Rich Higgins or Eddie. How did the clubs do? Did PVCI win again?

Bill

Posts: 55 | From: Tucson | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 05:23 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish some one had mentioned Dave's Utah Jack sound to me a week or so sooner. I'd never heard mention of it until about a week after I sent his black box and CD back to him.

Everything between here and Safford is over called and shot out. The Valley north of Bowie used to be a great place to call. Now it's good for turd viewing. The coyotes are still there, but they don't respond to sounds.

I've tried over around Bonita, but I've not found enough brush to hide a quarter behind, let alone me and a vehicle.

The valley to the East would be nice, if it wasn't for a couple of pricks who think they own all of those millions of acres of public land and locked it all off.

I keep thinking about going West, but I've never done it. I guess I'm going to just have to break out the maps and go.

--------------------
an ass kickin'.

JoeF
resides "back east"
Member # 228

Icon 1 posted January 23, 2006 05:36 AM      Profile for JoeF   Email JoeF         Edit/Delete Post 
2 stands, 1 coyote, and I think that was a fluke. Everything here - grass, weeds, trees, is covered with about 1/8" of ice.
The slightest breeze creates a crunching/tinkling sound that drowns out all other sounds.
The one I killed popped out of cover before I could get the remote back to my knee. I had to have set up right on top of him. Well, not exactly a fluke, I had it planned that way... trust me! [Big Grin]
I quit while I was ahead, anywhere else I would have had to walk in and I don't think there would have been anything left within a mile after the racket I made getting there.

If this stuff would stick around for a couple of days and then melt a guy ought to be out hunting. It'd probably be better than the first 40 degree day after a 10 day stretch of sub-zero weather.

Jackrabbit sound. Unpressured coyotes.

Posts: 646 | From: Midwest | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters