The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Krusty shoots mountain coyote... (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Krusty shoots mountain coyote...
Krustyklimber
prefers the bunny hugger pronunciation: ky o tee
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 19, 2006 09:28 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I am way tired... I'll tell the story later, gotta unload the truck. [Smile]

Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 8 posted February 19, 2006 09:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Best teaser I've seen in quite a while.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31462 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
SENIOR DISCOUNT & Dispenser of Sage Advice
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 03:11 AM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, really!!

Is it; Shot & rendered to posession or is it more like the punchline to an old tasteless bearhunting joke??

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 03:23 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to see a picture.

Did you actually kill it? Or just shoot it?

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 14 posted February 20, 2006 05:51 AM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Well alright Krusty!! Story, pics, whatever you got please!!!

If Im reading this right and you got you a coyote, thats fantastic. Ive followed your trials for a long time now. Please say its true....

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Knows what it's all about
Member # 725

Icon 14 posted February 20, 2006 07:12 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ditto Andy!

give us the skinny krusty!

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Posts: 361 | From: south central Iowa | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 08:59 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't toy with our emotions, K.

If you did it, we need to alert the wire services, and organize a parade down main street.

The suspense is killing me. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

RonDell
PAKMAN
Member # 761

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 10:18 AM      Profile for RonDell   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
This is not another Dick Cheney joke is it?

--------------------
Ron

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 11:18 AM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
"The suspense is killing me. LB"

Good, that makes me feel a little better.

I knew it would (make you guys squirm, and make me feel better). [Wink]

Kokopelli,

I don't know the bear joke?

Tim,

No pictures.

Yes.

Andy,

I don't have much right now, it's AMAZING how your whole world can change, in a nano-second, at the fall of a sear... I'm having trouble getting all my thoughts and feelings organized so I can tell the story (coherently). [Confused]

Leonard,

Don't call nobody just yet.

You recently gave some advice, relating to the choice of night hunting rifles, and the reason you gave for your choice has a lot to do with my own situation.
The mountain coyote, and the forest and terrain around the stand I chose in particular, present challenges/problems similar to those the night hunter faces.
I failed to see the connection, until an hour after it really mattered.

Hindsight is always 20/20.
Krusty  -

--------------------
Think about how stupid the average person is, then realize that half of them are stupider than that!

Posts: 1912 | From: Deep in the Blue Ridge Mountains of Virginia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
InjunJoe
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 11:43 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
This is worse than waiting around for Girl Scout cookies to arrive.
IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 11:50 AM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with you Joe, I have three boxes on order, 2 peanut butter and 1 mint, I don't think they'll ever get here.... [Frown]

I fear the Krusty coyote story doesn't have a happy ending. [Frown]

later,
scruffy

[ February 20, 2006, 12:05 PM: Message edited by: scruffy ]

--------------------
Git R Done

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 01:33 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
We are being set up for something? He's playing us like a @#%&*! fiddle.

(I don't know what I said, I say a lot of things?)

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Sue and Mark Nami
Member # 685

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 01:54 PM      Profile for Sue and Mark Nami           Edit/Delete Post 
Don't tell me.
You saw movement and your brother shot at it.

--------------------
All that's necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for enough
good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke..1729-1797

Posts: 44 | From: east coast | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
scruffy
Member # 725

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 02:03 PM      Profile for scruffy           Edit/Delete Post 
If I were to make a guess, based off the clues (leonard and night hunting rifle, terrain, etc), it would be that Krusty called in a coyote, possibly not given a perfect shot opportunity because of brush in the way or he was moving, he shot the coyote, the coyote then ran through the thick stuff, Krusty tracked it, but the blood trail ended, the coyote continued, and the coyote was lost. (this has happened to me more than once [Frown] makes you sick, frustrated, etc).

Hopefully this isn't the case, but it's my guess, if this is a guessing game?

But I thought Krusty's rifle was a big 30 cal bore? So hopefully I'm just way off on my guess.

Still waiting for those girl scout cookies, ordered them over a month ago... [Mad]

later,
scruffy

--------------------
Git R Done

Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 02:07 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
How long does it take to unload a Tonka Truck on steroids & tell a hero story??

Tasteless bearhunting joke to follow;

Seems this city boy decided to go bear hunting. He headed up to the big woods and after a couple of days spotted a bear which he shot in the a$$. The bear went crazy, wrapped the rifle around the city boy's neck, bent him over a log & made him squeal like a pig. The next year the city boy's back with a new rifle and spots that bear again. Another poor hit, the rifle gets wrapped around the neck, and the city boys bent over a log again squealing like a pig. The following year the city boy's back in the woods when the bear comes up behind him, taps him on the shoulder and says "YOU DON'T COME UP HERE FOR THE HUNTING, DO YOU??"

--------------------
And lo, the Light of the Trump shown upon the Darkness and the Darkness could not comprehend it.

Posts: 7580 | From: Under a wandering star | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 02:45 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Kokopelli,

You don't think poor Krusty took one in the shorts from a coyote do you? [Eek!]

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 02:46 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

You are not being set up for anything, but a true story.
I am writing (and editting) in another window.

You said "Generally speaking, you need a little more gun at night than for daylights because you expect the animal to drop where you last saw him."

Sue or Mark,

I won't tell you that, because it's not true.

Scruffy,

Pretty good, I figured the guys who "know" would be able to somewhat follow along. Or figure it out.

Kokopelli,

It's not how long it takes to unload my truck, it took longer to figure out what happened, how I feel about it, and how to put it into words.

Mad, sad, frustrated, elated, proud, and embarrassed, all at once... hard to talk through it.

Krusty  -

--------------------

Krustyklimber
Member # 72

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 03:02 PM      Profile for Krustyklimber   Email Krustyklimber         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I should just start at the beginning... this might take a while.

I used to borrow a rifle to hunt with, a (pre '64) Remington 722 in .222.

A few weeks ago we dropped the Deuce off at the 'smith's to have the "Sako extractor fix" done, and picked it up mid last week.
Saturday we took the (steel tubed) Weaver K-6 it originally wore (which was on the .256 Newton), mounted it on the Hornet (NEF), and mounted my Bushnell 4x12 AO scope (from the Hornet) on the .222.
We used my spotlight and tripod to sight in at the pit Saturday night.

Sunday morning Red and I took off to go to a new area I have been scouting (in southwest Washington), to look around and see about getting some PRIVATE land access for next year, and maybe do some plinkn', but I had no intent of calling (I'd pretty well thrown in the towel for this year).

We were driving along, about 4 pm (I'd managed to piss away most of the day, without having to go calling), when Red said "if we're going to get any calling done, we'd better just park and walk up to a likely looking spot, before we run out of daylight". "Yeah... alright" I said, reluctantly.

I'll "give up" on myself, but I'll never give up on a partner (and rob him of a "chance").

As we left the truck, Red whispers "Well, let's go find a needle in a haystack"...

We walked down the logging road, an old railroad grade carving it's way through one mound, then piling up a flat path between the next ones.
We swung gradually northeast, putting the sun at our backs, and the almost nonexistant breeze from left to right and coming at us.
After walking half a mile or so through an older stand of trees (hemlocks, alders and maples, maybe 60 yrs old), we came to the end of a 30' deep roadcut, right where a branch road intersected, at the bright edge of a younger stand of trees (15 yrs old).
I kinda milled around, looking for where to sit, and not really committing myself to calling (here or anywhere), then wandered back into the shade positioning myself at the edge of the road, in amongst the broken pieces of a large alder windfall (where I could see the intersection and a ways around the curve of the main road (west and north)). Red sat on top of the roadcut, watching down the hill (south and east).

We let things settle a few minutes, then I started calling.
I opened up with a lone howl, waited a few minutes then did one more long howl followed by "a forty pound bird chirping".
I waited about two more minutes and went into the "Circé bird" noise (sort of a chicken/pheasant in distress).

About nine minutes into the stand I did one more long lonesome howl.
I was just reaching for my distress call, and for some reason had been looking behind me (where we had come from). There was a small game trail, and I figured a cat wouldn't care if it winded us (last cougar I called didn't care, and I'm still a little scared).

I looked back where I was "supposed to be watching"... and there, standing in the road, right at the intersection (69 yds away) was a large blonde coyote... standing almost exactly where I had stood before walking back into the shade.

Red was closer to him, but from where I was, I couldn't see Red's view was blocked (or that Red wasn't looking that way either).
"Shoot him, Red" I thought to myself... no shot?

After what seemed like an eternity, I decided to shoot the yellow eyed bastid myself...
When I got "cat scared" I had turned my body way left, and mounted up the .222 facing back the way I had come.

Now I am looking over my right shoulder and gunstock, at MY CHANCE.
My u-turn was not graceful, not quiet, and also most important of all, not scarey to the coyote.
He stood and watched, the whole time, without flinching.

Usually I am pretty calm under pressure, keeping my wits was my best asset as a racer.
I lost it, temporarily.
Once turned around, I tried to crank the scope power back down (from target shootin), but it's pretty high effort, and I got it to 8x and figured "close enough"...

I drew down on the coyote, still standing like a statue, and couldn't hold still.
I leaned to the log next to me, propped the fore end on a stout stump of a branch, and wedged myself tight against the log behind me... looked through the scope, and the "earthquake" was over.

"Okay bro... you F!~%in' got it!" I told myself, and calmed back in.

The coyote was quartering slightly to my right, moreso than I realized, I placed the crosshairs right on the center of it's chest, waited, then slowly squeezed off a round.

WHAP! I hear the bullet hit meat, I see the dust shake off the coyote as he's rocked back (not quite to the point of sitting), his head lightly wobbles back and forth a bit, and a tiny tuft of hair sails through the air.
It all plays out in slow motion, and it's so surreal, I can't believe it's happening...TO ME???
I am in shock!

Suddenly, like a switch is flipped BACK ON, the coyote raises back up on all four feet, snaps at his left side twice, and peels off 180° to his left and up the branch road, wobbling (or weaving?) as he goes.

I didn't jump up and yell "I got him", I stuck my howler in my mug and let out a ki-yi and a couple barks, then went back to bird sounds.
After the longest minute and thirty seconds of my life I called the stand quits!

Red jumped off the hill, and I trotted on up to where I'd hit the coyote.
I rushed on up the branch road, looking for sign, or my coyote piled up "right up there".

Nothin'. [Mad]

After a few hundred yards we decided to go back to the hit and search some more. Maybe he flung himself into the bushes?

We found a large chunk of meat, some fur, and a million tiny particles of meat/fur, where he made his left turn, but no sizable drops of blood.

I began a very intensive search, hands and knees, crawling through the thickest, scratchiest, darkest, of pre-thinned hemlock trees and berry bushes... the whole time trying to rack my brain for the information from Scott H (relating to body language, and which way "being hit where he was" was likely to send him).

My kingdom for an airdork.

Red pretty much knew when he saw the "meat in the street" I was in trouble, that I may not have hit it well enough to leave much of a bloodtrail, and tracking in these woods wasn't going to be easy (even if it was gushin').
He stuck with me, and let me waste a good hour and a half (or more), looking, trying to be "supportive", no matter which way my mood went at that moment.

Red's a good hunting partner, and I was lucky to have him with me.
I would not have stopped or called there if he hadn't been with me.

It's no fur on the stretcher, but it's closer than I have ever been before. [Wink]

Krusty  -

--------------------

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 04:08 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Good callin/shooting Krusty. To bad the plan didn't come together for ya. There's always next time [Wink] . Enjoyed your story.
-----------------------

I once put 4 110gr FMJ's[M-1 carbine [Roll Eyes] ]into a >35lb male. He didn't drop until the last rd[Heart]. They can often take a beating, from what I've expereinced[no matter what firearm, I used].

When I shoot one, I'm ready right away to pump more lead into'em.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Kokopelli
Member # 633

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 04:11 PM      Profile for Kokopelli   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
My condoloncences on what must be a major bummer. It always sucks to lose one.

--------------------

Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 05:01 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
Way to stick with it Krusty! You're sure to get a kill shot next time!!! [Smile]

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Doggitter
Member # 489

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 05:26 PM      Profile for Doggitter   Email Doggitter         Edit/Delete Post 
So grab any manner of family canine pet at your house or neighbors and get back up there. They do a world of good helping in this kinda deal.
Posts: 273 | From: Oregon rain forest | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 05:31 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, that's a heartbreaker. Sometimes, when they give you all the time in the world, you just psych yourself out. It may have been more automatic if you had tracked him and pressed the trigger the instant he stopped moving?

You wasted your time with the kiyi's. That only works on a companion coyote. A coyote that has been wounded requires that you waste no time jacking another round in the chamber, not blowing on a call.

But, it DOES suck. I never feel good about a runner. You can just about tell by the amount of blood if you are going to find him. And, it is true that a bad hit is a bad hit; but a larger caliber does hit them harder. As I have said before, a coyote hit with a 25'06 or a 270 doesn't run off too often, even with a marginal hit.

Sounds like you hit him forward of the shoulder on a sideways presentation and that doesn't anchor a coyote very well, regardless of caliber.

Don't give up. As I have said several times before. I shot five times at the first coyote I killed. He was a real dummy. So was I.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

2dogs
Member # 649

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 06:08 PM      Profile for 2dogs           Edit/Delete Post 
Krusty,

The more I thought about your story. The more I thought about the only canine I ever shot. That was a "real trophy" to me.

I tossed & turned in bed for around a yr[disapointed in myself & angry for not knowing better]. Reliving the fact I didn't kill him, when I had him down. To this day, I don't know what the heck he was. But he was a brute & all Gold.

I hit him hard quartering away. The bullit, made a big exit wound & took out a cupfull of lung chunks. He eventually got back onto his feet & ran like nothing had happened. Only to die under an old abandoned farm building around a mile away [Frown] .

Lesson learned...

All the coyotes, I shot after him. If they weren't dead, when they hit the ground. They had more lead coming their way. Better to much than not enough.

Posts: 1034 | From: central Iowa | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged
Andy L
HI, I'M THE NEW MODERATOR OF THE CENTRAL MISSOURI FORUM, PULL MY FINGER!
Member # 642

Icon 1 posted February 20, 2006 06:50 PM      Profile for Andy L           Edit/Delete Post 
Well Dammit.

Good job though Krusty. You called him and got the shot. Just sucks that as hard as you have tried you didnt get him.

If it makes you feel any better at all, I called in a coyote for a buddy one time and he shot the damn thing four times with a 243 before he got him killed. They are tough. It would have died after number two, but he wanted it DEAD. [Big Grin]

You outta get a medal of some sort for hangin in there and trying so hard. Your doing good in a tough area to hunt. Next ones dead. I can feel it.

Andy

--------------------
Andy

Posts: 2645 | From: Central Missouri | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters