The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Ferals & Feathers

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ferals & Feathers
SwampCat
Knows what it's all about
Member # 806

Icon 1 posted February 28, 2006 09:12 PM      Profile for SwampCat   Email SwampCat         Edit/Delete Post 
Setup with Feather-Decoy blowing in the wind and called. Creek to right would channel anything responding into the hunt unit access.
Blew a series of Cottontail Distress and waited about 2 mins. and repeated. Caught movement in the woods to my left and something black was stalking. It caught sight of the Feather and changed direction. Stalked low & slow.
Suddenly this large male Feral cat attacked the feather. I let him play for awhile and the Ruger .22Mag spat a 40gr.JHP and this rogue-killer went down.
There are small cat tracks all over my lease that are too small for bobcats, so we have a Feral-Problem....
 -

-

-

[ February 28, 2006, 09:14 PM: Message edited by: SwampCat ]

--------------------
...I'd like to go to heaven, but I've gotten use to hanging with this crowd...

Posts: 16 | From: Blackwater Swamps, SC | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Zach
Member # 526

Icon 14 posted March 01, 2006 06:02 AM      Profile for Zach   Email Zach         Edit/Delete Post 
Kill em all.
Posts: 11 | From: Worland, WY | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 06:08 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome, Swampcat.
Gonna have him mounted?
Send a photo and we can start a Rogue-Killer Gallery. [Smile]
Just kidding. Feral cats are a huge problem in some areas.

IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 08:14 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Nice color phase.
Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 08:33 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, no kidding. I'm just waiting for the question: "what's a good bullet for feral cats, to save the hide?"

I have no problem with killing these wild animals, by others. I know they are very destructive of the song bird population.

I have never done it, intentionally, although I have killed exactly two at night, by mistake. I'm just not interested in busting a stand, or wasting a bullet, on a cat.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31459 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 10:08 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone has a boogeyman I suppose? To some it's housecats,to others, it's feral dogs. hell, everything has to eat something?
Personally, I'd happily shoot every damned head of cattle that walk southern Arizona, eating everything down to the rocks, but thats just me:) Of course, it might have something to do with the owners of those damned bovine that lease MY land, then won't allow me access across their 40 acres to get there:)

Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Jrbhunter
PAYS ATTENsION TO deTAIL
Member # 459

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 10:17 AM      Profile for Jrbhunter   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard, with proper shot placement the 17rem is an adequate feral cat round. Gotta stay off the shoulder though.
Posts: 615 | From: Indiana | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GCrock
Member # 351

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 01:37 PM      Profile for GCrock   Email GCrock         Edit/Delete Post 
That must be one of those dark phase melanistic mountain lions that everyone's cousin's brothers's uncle seems to see every now and then. With a little photoshop magic, you could have that thing looking 6 feet long and weighing 200 pounds. We refer to those rogue killers as ditch panthers around here. Maybe Cal could mount that thing beside his kit fox and claim it as a cross kit fox? Just having fun. Good hunting!
Posts: 17 | From: Nebraska | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 01:53 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Boy, you hit one of my pet peeves, Vic. The guy with a little rancho closing off thousands of acres of public land and acting like he owns it because he runs a few cows. If there is anything that frosts my butt, it's driving 40 miles in the dirt, low on gas and some "rancher" has locked my access to the road. Grrr! Strictly as a courtesy, I would probably cut his chain, rather than the padlock. [Wink]

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 02:01 PM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
Leonard,

Once upon a time, there was a buddy of mine that I ran into one day while out hunting. He looked pissed so I asked him what was up. He said he'd driven about fifteen miles up into the pastureland to hunt this four-square and when he got there, the guy that leases it for grazing had locked the gate. I asked him if he cut the lock to get in. He said no. Instead, he'd dug around in his toolbox until he came up with a lock of his own and he locked it with his old lock, too. I busted a gut thinking about that sumbitch driving clear up there to check cattle and finding that he couldn't get into his own ground without the bolt cutters he left at home lying on the shelf under the bench. Served him right, and it was a great idea.

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Locohead
World Famous Smoke Dancer
Member # 15

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 02:19 PM      Profile for Locohead   Email Locohead         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking, "Wow, live bait and decoy in one". I suppose darn near anything a tad bigger coming to the call might just love to eat your first customer!

--------------------
I love my critters and chick!!!! :)

Posts: 2219 | From: CO | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 03:49 PM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Lance; thats why I always have a supply of those stout,round pointy toothpicks in my truck, oh how easily they insert into the keyway:) making the next guy, hopefully the padlock owner, drive just as far as I had to.
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 04:48 PM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Vic,

I don't have a clue how all of those locks between Bar Boot and the Forest land got covered with JB Weld.

But I'm right with you on opening a season on a$$hole ranchers.

I talked with one Rancher a couple of weeks ago and he pays less than $2 an acre for his BLM and State land leases. I think it's time for those guys to pay the going rate or get the hell off of public land.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Lonny
PANTS ON THE GROUND
Member # 19

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 05:41 PM      Profile for Lonny           Edit/Delete Post 
What are the buyers giving for well put up feral cats this year? [Wink]

Myself, I'd go for a hissing full body mount over top of the milk pan.

Just kidding around with you SC. To many stray cats can be a problem.

Anybody remember the picture in a VHA mag from last year? In the member pictures part of the magazine there was a guy holding up a fat orange tabby with a stub tail. Under the pic of the guy's "Bobcat" was his name and the caliber he used to dispatch the wiley beast. The funny thing was the shooter had such a serious look on his face, like he really believed it was a bobcat. I had to giggle everytime I saw that pic, just something about. [Smile]

Posts: 1209 | From: Lewiston, Idaho USA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted March 01, 2006 06:05 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, funny.

But, that is how I happened to shoot a cat once. It was at night and I couldn't see him very well, but it was a cat and he had bobcat color and I was very disappointed when I walked out. [Frown] He had no business being out there, miles from any civilization.

Actually the other one I shot was a black cat in shadows, under a bush. Same thing, I could see his form facing me, but the light was bouncing off the bushes and all I could see was a black cat shape crouching under the tree. Turned out that's exactly what it was...a black cat; in the middle of nowhere?

I just have no interest in popping them, on purpose. For anybody that hunts at night, they can probably understand how it happened and relate. Those two events happened a long time ago and widely separated, but it still pisses me off. I'm not careless.

Good hunting. LB

--------------------
Don't piss me off!

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters