The New Huntmastersbbs!

my profile | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The New Huntmastersbbs!   » Predator forum   » Puppies

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Puppies
Tim Behle
Administrator MacNeal Sector
Member # 209

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2006 09:43 AM      Profile for Tim Behle   Author's Homepage   Email Tim Behle         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone been seeing any coyote puppies out and playing yet?

I thought I had a few times lately, but they all turned out to be Jackrabbits except for one Kitt Fox who stayed out past sunrise.

--------------------
Personally, I carry a gun because I'm too young to die and too old to take
an ass kickin'.

Posts: 3160 | From: Five Miles East of Vic, AZ | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2006 10:09 AM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Ain't that the truth? I can count on one hand how many kit fox I called in the daytime. Coyote pups? I have not been out, maybe another month?

Good hunting. LB

No RK's either.

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2006 10:34 AM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
I have'nt seen any coyote pups this year but i watched some red fox pups earlier. I was'nt the only one watching them, There was a chicken hawk in the area and it seemed to be watching them pretty close. Me and the chicken hawk had a little talk so to speak, it won't be bothering the pups. A friend that i hunt with also found a den with fox pups, he has been feeding them gophers.

--------------------
What if I told you, the left wing and right wing both belong to same bird!

Posts: 5063 | From: S.D. | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
Cdog911
"There are some ideas so absurd only an intellectual could believe them."--George Orwell.
Member # 7

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2006 10:40 AM      Profile for Cdog911   Author's Homepage   Email Cdog911         Edit/Delete Post 
So, TA, are you publicly admitting to a federal felony by shooting a protected raptor, or did you actually have a talk with the hawk?

--------------------
I am only one. But still, I am one. I cannot do everything, but still, I can do something; and, because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.

Posts: 5438 | From: The gun-lovin', gun-friendly wild, wild west | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Az-Hunter
Hi, I'm Vic WELCOME TO THE U.S. Free baloney sandwiches here
Member # 17

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2006 10:48 AM      Profile for Az-Hunter           Edit/Delete Post 
Ive not seen a pup one yet Tim? I did, however, see a bobcat kitten ran over on Davis Rd last week, up just west of the power line crossing a half mile or so. Maybe kitten is a misnomer, but it looked to be maybe six to eight pounds at most? About any morning around 4:30 Im heading to work on hwy 191, a bit south of you, I see the same couple of kit foxes dodging and diving across the hwy, they must be prospecting for road kill?
Posts: 1627 | From: 5 miles west of Tim | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
brad h
Knows what it's all about
Member # 57

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2006 01:03 PM      Profile for brad h   Email brad h         Edit/Delete Post 
Saw three last week.

I was out doing some scouting and sat down on a rock at the end of the razorback I was walking down. The movement caught my eye. I looked down just in time to see three fur balls bail off the cutbank just 20 yards below me.

There was a fawn skull and bones and fur pieces scattered all over that flat along with lots of mini coyote turds at the edge.

I wish I could have seen them sooner so I could have judged their size better, but they seem to be up and moving here. We've had plenty of moisture this spring so I'm sure that's helping things along.

Brad

[ June 17, 2006, 01:05 PM: Message edited by: brad h ]

Posts: 346 | From: Glendive MT | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Hello, I'm the legendary Tim Anderson, Field Marshall, Southern Minneesota Sector
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2006 07:54 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Cdog911: well yes i talk to birds,dose'nt everybody? I talk to my dogs also. Does that mean i'm loco? LOL

--------------------

Leonard
HMFIC
Member # 2

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2006 08:09 PM      Profile for Leonard   Author's Homepage   Email Leonard         Edit/Delete Post 
Good answer, TA. What do you talk about?

--------------------
EL BEE Knows It All and Done It All.
Don't piss me off!

Posts: 31450 | From: Upland, CA | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TA17Rem
Member # 794

Icon 1 posted June 17, 2006 08:29 PM      Profile for TA17Rem   Email TA17Rem         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh i try to keep it simple, so not to confuse the animal that i'm speaking to, but yet brisk enough to get my point across. If you catch them at the right moument and make a correction, the problems tend to go away.

--------------------

Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 07:26 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been out in more than a month. So I haven't visited the dens I've located. However I've been hearing them howl with the adults around here for about a month now. Tyler told me, also about a month ago, that there were ten puppies and an adult standing next to Shea Blvd. in a residential neighborhood in the middle of the afternoon. We are seeing more adult RK on the freeways now also which probably means that the adults are beginning to range further out and are leaving the puppies for extended periods.
IP: Logged
Rich Higgins
unknown comic

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 07:28 AM            Edit/Delete Post 
On the topic, talking to plumbrich in Alabama last week and he said that their coyotes whelp in March and sometimes earlier. Their puppis are half grown now.
IP: Logged
canine
Member # 687

Icon 1 posted June 19, 2006 08:11 PM      Profile for canine   Email canine         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been watching 3 pups for the last week. They are spending the entire day out in a new soybean field. The den must be close by, I haven't intruded because i'm collecting footage of them. They are at least 3/4 grown now also. Sure is fun to just watch em play mousin and rompin on each other.

JD

--------------------
Hunting The East "back to Basic's" Part 1

Posts: 162 | From: ohio | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged
keekee
Member # 465

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 02:04 AM      Profile for keekee   Author's Homepage   Email keekee         Edit/Delete Post 
I seen 4 pups and a adult yesterday out in a small field by the house. Went back home got the camera and shot some footage of them. They were just playing, and the adult was just setting in the shade. Was fun to watch and film though. Shot 55 min of footage of them before the wind changes, the adult barks and they scattered! And in a hurry I might add!

brent

--------------------
Kee's Custom Calls
http://www.keescalls.com

Posts: 295 | From: Southern Ohio | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Buffalobob
Member # 825

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 06:04 AM      Profile for Buffalobob   Email Buffalobob         Edit/Delete Post 
Rich

quote:
We are seeing more adult RK on the freeways now also which probably means that the adults are beginning to range further out and are leaving the puppies for extended periods.
Yesterday between here and the middle of Pennsylvania I saw probably 10 dead does along the road. I saw the same thing last year about this time. I didn't understand what I was seeing until it nearly happened to my truck.

When the fawns first start going with mama they are greatly intimidated by the asphalt and automoblies and will not cross the raod. Sometimes (my case) they simply cannot jump a bank or a Jersey barrier. Mama will go accross and then have to go back accross the road several times in order to reassure the fawn. When a car comes by the fawn starts running off the way it came, not accross the road to mama. This causes mama to cross back over the road in front of the oncomeing auto. Lots of times she doesn't make it.

Most likely the coyote pups behave the same way as the fawns on their first outings and the last minute dash by mama coyote back accross the road results in her losing the race many times.

Just my new theory on late spring road kill does and how I nearly got my truck wrecked.

Posts: 90 | From: Potomac River | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
bigben
Member # 864

Icon 1 posted June 20, 2006 01:49 PM      Profile for bigben           Edit/Delete Post 
I have heard pups beside the house here for a while. atleast a month. at first I did not know what exactly it was because of how high pitched it was. then one night it clicked. the worst part I was up at the farm last weekend and talked to the farmer and he wants rid of them in the worst way because he claimed they were picking off the turkeys. then he had said that atleast one of them has mange. I asked him if he was sure it was mange and he said it only had a puff of fur at the tip of his tail. so unfortunatly I am going to try to get em sat morning this weekend. the adults I have called to and have been busted once back in the winter. hopefully my luck is better this weekend.

[ June 20, 2006, 01:51 PM: Message edited by: bigben ]

Posts: 54 | From: sc pa. | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Pacific  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Huntmasters